Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-16-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Odd ticking noise that disappeared

Hi fellas,

Wondering if you can help me diagnose something. Like usual for something like this, I've got to explain the situation in gory detail so sorry for the long post...but for those brave enough to read through it...I'd appreciate your thoughts here.

Went for a ride the other day, car ran great. Was pulling into my garage and I noticed a light ticking/tapping noise. I popped my hood and was just about to open it when all of a sudden the engine idled down and stalled out. At this point, I was about shitting myself thinking that it just seized up. Got back in the car, and it started right up. Idled for 10 seconds, the tick came back again, then the car idled down and chugged a few times, recovered, and then the tick went completely away. I shut it off and stared it a few more times...no tick...no hiccups. The only odd thing I noticed during all of this other than the tick, was my fuel pump doing the click, click, click reset or whatever it does from time to time (I think this is evap purge?). This was a bit odd because I don't usually hear that often, and it was doing it every time I shut the car off and restated it. The tick sounded like it was coming from down low under the car, and not valvetrain (though I'm not ruling out valvetrain). Sounds can be deceiving. But it was a tick, and not a knock. An it went away so fast and that's all the diagnosis I can offer.

So fearing the worst, I changed my engine oil to see if I had any metal. Nothing. Came out clean as can be. I then started it a few more times...no tick, no noises, all perfect. Took it for another ride and hit it with boost a few times. All perfect. No signs of anything wrong.

Any ideas on what this dissapearong tick was?

Engine issues?
Fuel supply issues causing injector tick? (the idle down and stall out combined with the fuel pump purging makes me wonder)
Could it be a broken clutch component?
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Mine started out that way. I wound up with a broken lifter that killed the rest of the motor because it went away and I kept driving it for about a week. When the noise came back, the car was done.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #3
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
It is easy to take the valve covers off and inspect the valve springs and see if anything looks abnormal, cracks, broken. Sometimes engines give warning signs before something major happens. Not sure what this could be, but this is what I would do first before driving it much more. Maybe it is something minor with your SC like a solenoid, actuator, bypass - whatever. Perhaps some other owners with your SC can chime in for advice.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:10 AM   #4
supergt99

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Plugs or wires?
supergt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post

Any ideas on what this dissapearong tick was?

Engine issues?
Fuel supply issues causing injector tick? (the idle down and stall out combined with the fuel pump purging makes me wonder)
Could it be a broken clutch component?
Check fuel pressure to rule out your fuel supply.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Check fuel pressure to rule out your fuel supply.
Sure wish I was datalogging when this happened.

The whole stalling out thing makes me very suspect that something happened with the fuel. Not sure that a lifter tick would make the car idle down and stall out?

But if it was fuel...what could it be? Vapor lock in the rails?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #7
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergt99 View Post
Plugs or wires?
I gave the wires a visual once over to see if maybe I had a burn through and was arcing. But they all looked good.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Have you pulled a cover to check the valve train?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #9
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Have you pulled a cover to check the valve train?
Not yet. But that's what I plan to do. But in order to do that...I need to pull my entire blower off. So its not as easy or quick to do as a stock LS3 would. But I'll do it. At least its the end of the driving season here in MN. I'll take it off this winter and have a look...
Old 10-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
hillshooter

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS commemorative
I had this exact issue this summer. very intermittent ticking that was hard to hear sometimes.

It ended up being collapsed lifter on #7. I was running around 700WHP when it happened and my builder suggested I upgrade to comp cams lifters and I haven't had a problem since.

looking at your build in your signature, I would imagine you are beyond what the stock valve train can handle.
hillshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #11
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillshooter View Post
I had this exact issue this summer. very intermittent ticking that was hard to hear sometimes.

It ended up being collapsed lifter on #7. I was running around 700WHP when it happened and my builder suggested I upgrade to comp cams lifters and I haven't had a problem since.

looking at your build in your signature, I would imagine you are beyond what the stock valve train can handle.
Yeah...listening to you guys...I'm starting to think that this might have been a lifter that went down for a brief moment but pumped back up with oil again now. But probably not a good sign for expecting many more miles out of it.

What are the lifter options out there? I've never really studied lifters.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #12
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Just change them when you forge the internals

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #13
cc-rider

Yep. Defintaley thinking about that!
Old 10-17-2016, 09:46 PM   #14
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
I had a stuck lifter over a year ago and this is what mine sounded like before I fixed it... you can compare it to your sound. https://youtu.be/LkrSyFky2I8
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote