Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #1
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
SCT X4 Datalog Advice

I need an advice.
Waiting for new ported throttle body to be delivered.
There is still plenty of time, but I would like to be ready before it is delivered.

When the TB arrives, I'll install it, disconnect the flashlight, or fuses 20 and 5 to reset the fuel map overnight, and begin teaching the ECM a new throttle body.

After I teach her my ECM, I need to load a datalog so I can send it to a new tune.

I've never done that before, so I need advice on how to proceed.

If I can read a data record while driving with constant throttle or at rest and with constant throttle (up to how many revolutions - we know how fine the valve springs are ...)
Simply... How to do it?

Thanks, George
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
I’m not quite sure what you’re asking George. Are you talking about downloading your original tune file in your car to the SCT?
Old 11-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
This question gets me a question. When I install a larger TB do I have to tune or reset fuse 5 and 20 after the install?
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
I’m not quite sure what you’re asking George. Are you talking about downloading your original tune file in your car to the SCT?
Thanks for the reply.

Downloading factory ECM program to the SCT X4, sending it for custom tune and subsequent uploading and to the car... I know this.
This is no problem.

I don't know if I will speak correctly.
But after installing the new TB, a different amount and speed of air goes into the engine. And for it to work properly, it will be necessary to slightly modify the fuel map for the new TB.
And to do that, you need to record a datalog.

And my question is how to do it?
Old 11-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Follow the instructions from sct.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
This question gets me a question. When I install a larger TB do I have to tune or reset fuse 5 and 20 after the install?
From what I've read in other forums, after resetting the fuel map, the ECM has to learn a new TB again.

But the new- larger TB will not benefit you until you adjust the fuel map according to the new airflow.

Because from what I've understood, the ECM will work with the original airflow settings.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Follow the instructions from sct.
Thank you...
But what exactly do I need to record?
Old 11-04-2020, 12:21 PM   #8
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
From what I've read in other forums, after resetting the fuel map, the ECM has to learn a new TB again.

But the new- larger TB will not benefit you until you adjust the fuel map according to the new airflow.

Because from what I've understood, the ECM will work with the original airflow settings.

Thanks, George. I suspect that the F5 and F20 fuse pull is what would resent the fuel map.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:36 PM   #9
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
Thanks, George. I suspect that the F5 and F20 fuse pull is what would resent the fuel map.
Either that, or unplug the battery for a few hours.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
George, from all that I have learned and read from these forums and posts in here on ported TB's, you are not increasing the size of it by much at all, it is just smoothing out the air flow/ turbulence in the TB going into the intake manifold. Also I have read on here that our "stock" MAF's can and will adjust for the slightly different air flow into the engine without having to "re tune" the ECM. They have that much program ability. Now if you were to go with a 102mm TB, you would need to get a new tune because of the vast difference in it from stock. Also if your car is running really good now, then when you switch out the TB you won't even have to do the fuse pull, unless you want to, couldn't hurt. Hope this helps sir. Good luck. Oh just for FYI, when I installed my ported TB, I didn't need a re tune.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:51 PM   #11
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
George, from all that I have learned and read from these forums and posts in here on ported TB's, you are not increasing the size of it by much at all, it is just smoothing out the air flow/ turbulence in the TB going into the intake manifold. Also I have read on here that our "stock" MAF's can and will adjust for the slightly different air flow into the engine without having to "re tune" the ECM. They have that much program ability. Now if you were to go with a 102mm TB, you would need to get a new tune because of the vast difference in it from stock. Also if your car is running really good now, then when you switch out the TB you won't even have to do the fuse pull, unless you want to, couldn't hurt. Hope this helps sir. Good luck. Oh just for FYI, when I installed my ported TB, I didn't need a re tune.
Of course you are right.
I talked with TB manufacturer, and there is no need for a new tune.
All you have to do is reset the ECM and the car will learn to control the new TB.

But on the other hand, the manufacturer told me that after tuning, the performance will go up. The ZR-1 Vette received 16 HP.
Clear ... ZR-1 is supercharged. But if I got 6 - 10 HP after tuning, I would be satisfied.

Some may wonder why such an effort for so little.
But here in Europe, the situation is a bit more complicated and it is not so easy with adjustments. I plan to get as much out of the engine as possible without opening it.
I have already finished some mods and I see better TB as another potential.

Otherwise, I stayed at the factory diameter TB, but it has a reduced shaft, thinner blade and of course porting.

So it could bring something.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #12
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Awesome sir! Have fun and get what you can.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #13
George-CZ

I have everything ready to upload the datalog after installing the ported throttle body. (I want a new tune.)

I admit that I'm quite worried about the engine, because I has to slowly tap in gas pedal to the maximum RPM in neutral.

https://youtu.be/p8dp9M0p0_A?t=207

My question is...
Do I have to hit the rpm limiter during recording?
If not, then how much rpm is needed?

I read somewhere that GM did engine protection and that 5000 rpm could not be exceeded in neutral.

Thanks George

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.