Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #15
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The front and rear sub-frames are ABSOLUTELY tied to the main structure. There are two large pilots that come down from the monocoque to locate the rear sub-frame along with 4 bolts. The front sub-frame is located by two pins and six bolts. If the pilots and pins and bolts don't hold the sub-frames in place... never mind. People will believe what they want to believe regardless of the facts.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The front and rear sub-frames are ABSOLUTELY tied to the main structure. There are two large pilots that come down from the monocoque to locate the rear sub-frame along with 4 bolts. The front sub-frame is located by two pins and six bolts. If the pilots and pins and bolts don't hold the sub-frames in place... never mind. People will believe what they want to believe regardless of the facts.
The front is bolted down tight...just like what it is in the Corvette. The rear however is bolted through big rubber pillows that allow that entire rear structure to move. You can watch it do it. I am not saying it is going to fall off the car but it sure as heck moves just like all of the rubber bushings in all of the control arms.

Again..just like when we build a race car and we replace all of the rubber with spherical bearings to keep them in place the same has to be done for the engine mounts, diff mounts, and in the case of the Camaro...the rear subframe. However when dealing with street cars not everyone wants to completely remove a nice "quiet" ride from their car so the braces make a nice option to keep it from shifting around while giving the rubber isolation to the main unibody.

Sorry....I think it of it more as a unibody than a monocoque...that would be McLaren F1, LaFerrari, 918.....
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #17
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
^^^ I really like those connectors, but they're $$$.
Check out some of the sales....or PM me
Old 11-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #18
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post
The front is bolted down tight...just like what it is in the Corvette. The rear however is bolted through big rubber pillows that allow that entire rear structure to move. You can watch it do it. I am not saying it is going to fall off the car but it sure as heck moves just like all of the rubber bushings in all of the control arms.

Again..just like when we build a race car and we replace all of the rubber with spherical bearings to keep them in place the same has to be done for the engine mounts, diff mounts, and in the case of the Camaro...the rear subframe. However when dealing with street cars not everyone wants to completely remove a nice "quiet" ride from their car so the braces make a nice option to keep it from shifting around while giving the rubber isolation to the main unibody.

Sorry....I think it of it more as a unibody than a monocoque...that would be McLaren F1, LaFerrari, 918.....
I disagree. Typical unibody is not what you see coming out of GM starting with the 5th Gen and the last generation CTS-V. The design relies heavily on the body skin, especially in the rear quarter area, resulting in remarkably tight structures. I would call a FCA LX or LC chassis a unibody. I would call a last generation 2005 Mustang a unibody. Both vehicles benefit greatly from a series of sub-frame or other type braces. The last gen CTS-V and Camaro through the new generations are so superior I believe they deserve the distinction of being elevated to the status of a monocoque.

I agree with you on the solid sub-frame bushings, but still view the additional bracing as a toaster cover. Toaster covers are effective and functional but the function they provide is not necessary. The changes that were made in the rear sub-frame bushing in the 2012 model year were a tremendous improvement over the first two years. The 1LE, ZL1 and Z/28 sub-frame bushings are clear improvements over the 2012 SS bushings. For most 5th Gen owners with models 2012 on up, the benefits of solid sub-frame bushings are available but not necessary. For those that drive to the limits of the vehicle, solid sub-frame bushings are both necessary and functional.

Last edited by JusticePete; 11-21-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #19
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
Thanks for bringing the tech fellas it is quite educational. Since the topic was primarly about subframe connectors and not the addition of bushings. So I take it the Bushings make a far greater difference to rear chassis then the sfc's. So LG have you guys tested with just bushings and then with the SFC's, did you see an improvement of any kind, besides additional weight and profit off of a client.

I had a street car that I ran Delrin bushings and Sperical bearings it was precision, but I bet I could tell the date on a dime when I drove over it. Car was tolerable for short trips, anything longer and it is not fun.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:04 PM   #20
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
Thanks for bringing the tech fellas it is quite educational. Since the topic was primarly about subframe connectors and not the addition of bushings. So I take it the Bushings make a far greater difference to rear chassis then the sfc's. So LG have you guys tested with just bushings and then with the SFC's, did you see an improvement of any kind, besides additional weight and profit off of a client.

I had a street car that I ran Delrin bushings and Sperical bearings it was precision, but I bet I could tell the date on a dime when I drove over it. Car was tolerable for short trips, anything longer and it is not fun.
Your 14 1LE has extremely stiff front sub-frame bushings. TEAM Camaro describes them as 'hockey puck hard'. Your 1LE sub-frame bushing are just a slight bit softer than those in a Z/28. Unless you are running Trofeos or slicks on track, you will not see huge gains from solid sub-frame bushings. There will be gains, but not as great as you would find if you swapped out your rear solid OE 28mm sway bar for a solid 32mm sway bar. The 7mm sway bar bias with your 27mm front bar is close to ideal.

FYI -- Changing out the sub-frame bushings from OE to solid aluminum will increase cabin noise, especially tire song, but will not alter ride quality in a negative way.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #21
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
JusticePete, I must say your ride (from post#12) looks HOT!

Last edited by Camaro Dude; 05-18-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #22
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
JusticePete, I must say your ride (from post#12) looks HOT!
Thank you. If you liked the red one, maybe you'll like the yellow one.

Or this soon to be completed white one.

Last edited by JusticePete; 11-23-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #23
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

We have done our fair share of race cars as well and even a few Championships with Camaro....

Old 11-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #24
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post

We ran the chassis braces on our One Lap of America car because it was a street car first and formost and had a lot of issues with wheel hop more than anything. Since that car has to run all over the country do autoX, road course, drag racing.....it had to do more than one thing which is why we went that route with it.

When we do the track cars or race cars they have solid bushings and sleaves in them, no braces as the rear subframe can not move with solid sleeves in place....just like what you would find in a C5/6/7 Corvette as they have bolt in subframes as well (technically suspension cradles).

The only downside to running a solid bushing in the rear cradle is more interior noise. If that isn't an issue then yes you can solve the problem with less weight.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #25
JusticePete

These are what our clients consider street cars.

Or this soon to be completed white one.

And not a one of them has a sub-frame brace.