Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #15
lfree11012

Drives: 2018 1LE
Were are the amps mounted
lfree11012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #16
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfree11012 View Post
Were are the amps mounted
All to the subwoofer box.

Excuse the backside, haven't had time to doll it up like I did the front side.
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #17
ZL1Memphis

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Glad to hear you finally got at least some relief. I actually think free hit it on the head.
Quote:
in my opinion ground loops are the worst thing you can do. What they do is Iso late the frenzied they theat produces wine and cut them out so any notes on thet range you cut out. There are a few thing you can try first. Take the mounting screws out of the amp and see what happens if the bottle of the amp is sitting on metal you it can Produce amp feed back and I'd the screws are hitting metal the same thing can happen. You can also pick up noise in the RCA few things here the loc box has a ground wire ground it. Also some RCA have a little wire that runs in the middle ground if yours do you can try to ground it at both ends. The lest is if you have a smile pice of rem wire left cut about a 6 inc pice off wrap it around the out side shild of ONE of the RCA at the amp and run the other end to ground. Out side shild is the melt part of the RCA that is around the out side of the RCA not the center
You know how I feel about the ground loops, I am not truly sure the whine ever truly goes totally away. And its basically adding things ie amps, fog lights, etc. puts more of a draw battery causing alternator to work harder hence more whine. Its different for everybody but please post when you have success it helps everybody.
ZL1Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #18
lfree11012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
All to the subwoofer box.
Try Ground the RCA. Easy thing to do grab some left over rem wire cut about a 6 in or so stip the wire back so that you can wrip it around the one of the RCA and then ground the other side of the wire with amp ground. It going to go away or it will get loaded if it gets loaded the PAC might be going bad
Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #19
Knockoutpie

Quote:
Try Ground the RCA. Easy thing to do grab some left over rem wire cut about a 6 in or so stip the wire back so that you can wrip it around the one of the RCA and then ground the other side of the wire with amp ground. It going to go away or it will get loaded if it gets loaded the PAC might be going bad
How do I wrap it around the Rca lol?

So all in all, has the pac unit ever done this to any of you?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #20
lfree11012

If you look at the RCA there are two pice of metal coper what ever you won't to call it. The center is + the out barrel is - Pulg the RCA into the amp and the wrap the wire around the out side barrel. Making sure that it is on the metal. Then run the other side to amp ground almost like a jumper and see if it goes away
Old 03-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #21
Knockoutpie

Quote:
If you look at the RCA there are two pice of metal coper what ever you won't to call it. The center is + the out barrel is - Pulg the RCA into the amp and the wrap the wire around the out side barrel. Making sure that it is on the metal. Then run the other side to amp ground almost like a jumper and see if it goes away
I'll give that a shot, ground the ones on the amp or near the head unit?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #22
lfree11012

Amp side only you should only need to ground one RCA
Old 03-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #23
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
You might also want to try a new/different LOC. This is most likely where you are picking up the alternator noise. If the LOC has a ground wire and you have not connected it, connect to a good ground and this may reduce the noise. On the other hand if the LOC has a ground wire which is connected, this may have created a ground loop at the radio. Try ungrounding the LOC and see if the alternator noise is reduced.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:37 PM   #24
Knockoutpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
You might also want to try a new/different LOC. This is most likely where you are picking up the alternator noise. If the LOC has a ground wire and you have not connected it, connect to a good ground and this may reduce the noise. On the other hand if the LOC has a ground wire which is connected, this may have created a ground loop at the radio. Try ungrounding the LOC and see if the alternator noise is reduced.
Really? Unground it? I've got 2 grounds for the LOC, but the issue is only when the headlights are on. You know if it were the unit wouldn't it always be like that?
Old 03-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #25
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
Really? Unground it? I've got 2 grounds for the LOC, but the issue is only when the headlights are on. You know if it were the unit wouldn't it always be like that?
Not really. The headlights draw a lot of current, and this extra current can cause electrical noise or create a ground loop. The clue is when the lights are off, no noise. I still think it is in your LOC. Where did yoi hide the LOC? Sometimes location next to a high current carrying wire will cause system noise.

I had the same noise issue, but had an aftermarket unit. I replaced the lower end unit (no names to protect the guilty) with an Alpine INE 920, and the noise went away....
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #26
Pur3vil

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6
I had this same issue when I first installed my sub and amp. I fixed it by paying attention to my cable routing. I had to make sure that all of my signal cables were far enough away from any of the power cables running to the amp, or elsewhere in the car. Based on your description of the more heavily shielded monster cables helping your issue, I'd say you're in the same boat that I was. Once I made sure that there was enough separation between power and signal wires, the whine and hum both went away.

Good luck...
Pur3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #27
Knockoutpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pur3vil View Post
I had this same issue when I first installed my sub and amp. I fixed it by paying attention to my cable routing. I had to make sure that all of my signal cables were far enough away from any of the power cables running to the amp, or elsewhere in the car. Based on your description of the more heavily shielded monster cables helping your issue, I'd say you're in the same boat that I was. Once I made sure that there was enough separation between power and signal wires, the whine and hum both went away.

Good luck...
Right but the issue is, I got 2 16ft Monster Rca cables and plugged it in from my LOC to the amp, which all laid on my seat at the time to see if the humming went away and it decreased but it's not all the way decreased, there's no possible way I can do anything else.. for a better routing than testing it like that..
Old 03-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #28
kc690

Drives: 2014 Crystal Red ZL-1
Have you tried unplugging all rcas from the amp and seeing if you have any floor noise coming through the tweeters. Should sound like a high pitched whine which can get worse when the rcas are plugged in. If the floor noise, which is unamplified signal, is there, then the gains need to be adjusted down. If your noise dosen't change with all rcas unplugged, you could possibly have a bad mosfet output in one of the amps if all your amps are already grounded adequately. If the noise goes away when you unplug the rcas, it might be an issue how the head unit is grounded. Some brands dont put filters on their power wires, either internally or externally, so they might be prone to putting noise into the rca outputs. Alpine is one of the best brands for shielding their power inputs, Pioneer is not. Good luck.
kc690 is offline   Reply With Quote