Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
Zetals7

Drives: 15 Z/28, 14 Ghibli SQ4, 13 1199 R
Optimal spring rates for auto x

Hey guys, I mainly do auto x but do throw a couple hpde days in there. The z/28 spring rates are perfect for me on the street but the car wallows though the chicanes at auto x. Was thinking of higher spring rates (with new dampers of course). I was wondering people's thoughts on the matter. I feel like the car has enough torque to still over steer with the throttle if I want it to so I was going to maybe try 500 front 750 rear. Thought that might add some inherent under steer and could use the throttle to even it out. Also, anyone have any experience running without the sway bars? Did you have to bump the spring rates up super high?
Zetals7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
I cannot directly answer your question, but perhaps get in touch with Demon Z/28. I know he runs coil overs and auto-x's.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
I am running KW Clubsport coilovers with spring rates of 345 Front and 455 rear. Very happy with the setup for autocross, Others I run with have higher spring rates and they do well also, so it comes down to your driving style and who you are buying from / brand. The coilovers should be properly valved to work with the spring package.

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Z/28 View Post
I am running KW Clubsport coilovers with spring rates of 345 Front and 455 rear. Very happy with the setup for autocross, Others I run with have higher spring rates and they do well also, so it comes down to your driving style and who you are buying from / brand. The coilovers should be properly valved to work with the spring package.
Sounds like you have a good set up, but it is important to not compare spring rate, when introducing another variable of a different shock. The DSSV are a stiff shock, but feel smooth due to design - I have read they add 150 lbs to spring rate.

Here is a good links to old thread that addresses this issue pretty well. Some good information.

link: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=424401&page=2

link: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=z28+springs

Seems like ball park sstock spring rate I keep reading is 300 - 330 front and 500 - 550 rear. DSSV adding 125 lbs would mean 450 / 650 equivalent.

I am in the camp of spend a little more up front, pull the shocks and springs, dyno them, get a baseline, then make adjustment to your set up from there, instead of spending money on new springs and alignments.

Z/28 is by no means soft, but it still gives you great feel and mechanical grip. Going too stiff will give you quicker turn in and potentially better response due to less body roll, but you give up some feel, so at the limit the car will be harder to catch. Not saying the Z is there already, just in general, stiffer is not always faster - driving style plays into set up for sure.

Let us know if you make changes and what you like and what - helpful to see what others have done and how it has improved their experience and lap times!

Last edited by Supercup; 06-15-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
Zetals7

Drives: 15 Z/28, 14 Ghibli SQ4, 13 1199 R
Was planing on running the Penske 2 ways. Valved properly of course. Main reason I was going so high was I plan on ditching or at least going with a smaller sway bars. The car is heavy and ditching the sways the spring is going to have a lot of work to do.
Zetals7 is offline   Reply With Quote