Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #1079
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post

Reason I asked, no clutch shift will really BANG if the gears aren't meshed.

Throw some quickrete bags in the trunk next time, prolly grenade the diff but the wheelie will be SO worth it!
I gotta be careful with the diff, already have two people that have offered to buy it if I don't grenade it...

Pics, you want pics, you can't handle pics, cause deep down inside in places you dont talk about at parties...... you want to see pics, you need to see pics, [ATTACH][/ATTACH]

ok, here are some really random pics of a project I worked on a couple of weeks ago....

This is a pump system to provide hydraulics for a couple of sea chest valves...

These are mounted in the lower hull pump room... The valves are normally fail safe closed. I was asked if I wanted to fix it and here are the results...
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #1080
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I gotta be careful with the diff, already have two people that have offered to buy it if I don't grenade it...

Pics, you want pics, you can't handle pics, cause deep down inside in places you dont talk about at parties...... you want to see pics, you need to see pics, [ATTACH][/ATTACH]

ok, here are some really random pics of a project I worked on a couple of weeks ago....

These are mounted in the lower hull pump room... The valves are normally fail safe closed. I was asked if I wanted to fix it and here are the results...
haha, I read the whole post in the character you started with. LMAO

Wasn't the same the last half.

I LOVE to restore shit. Very nice job. So now they can go abuse it again.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #1081
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Amazing what can be done with blue duct tape.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #1082
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Old 06-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #1083
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:

Damn, I wish you were around for the rest of the Firebird's hardline. It took me forever to do stainless -3 lines for the brakes and -4 lines for the fire suppression system and some -8 and -10 for the fuel. My biggest problem was getting the -3 brake lines to not leak at high psi. I used a 37 degree flare to keep everything AN compliant. I had to add those little Earl's plumbing aluminum washers to make them seal. Stainless on stainless just never quite sealed for me.

So doing that hardline is an art and then some. Nice job R.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #1084
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

The weather has turned to straight up doo doo out here. Appropriate since Doug crapped in here anyway...

We are currently experiencing Gale Force winds and the sea have continued to build throughout the day....

I took a few pictures to show the force of the weather... Bare in mind that these are takne from approximately 50 - 60 feet above the water line... There are 15-20 foot seas with occasional 25 and 30 footers rolling through... This is expected to continue to build through the night...

Anyone wanna go for a boat ride...

There are two boats below and as you can tell, the seas are rough... These are about 40 foot boats. The closest one is tied off to the rig and is approximately 110 yards off the rig... Despite this, and our height above the water, they occasionally disappear completely out of sight... For them to try to head in right now would be rough as it would be side seas for them the entire trip in... By tying off to the rig, they maintain some degree of stability and if gets too bad, they always have us to help them...

There have been offshore rigs worldwide that have helped in various ways to mariners in trouble... Safety Reps, (the rig medic) have launched in fast rescue craft, (Semi Rigid inflatable craft with a pump drive) and gone out to meet fishing boats with injured or severly sick persons, to bring them back to the rig for delivering them to a helicopter... One of these was offshore Australia... A guy was injured by some form of marine animal, and it was about a three hour boat ride out to meet the vessel he was on, and then the same ride back to the rig... The FRC was much faster than the boat the injured person was on... and no, other than a handheld GPS and a Compass, there is no navigation equipment on the FRC's.

We've had large work boats pull along side to transfer a sick or injured person via a crane man-lift basket to the rig for handoff to a helicopter... and we've taken on people and treated them on the rig as best as possible until weather and flight conditions or the seas allow for some form of transportation to a shore based facility... I'm still a certified Paramedic and was actually hired on by this company as a Safety Rep... but I transferred into Subsea as soon as I could, No Regrets...

Everyone helps everyone out here... We can't call 911... Well we can, but no help would arrive...
Attached Images

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 06-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #1085
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Heres a couple of shots down through the moonpool area... Again, keep in mind that we are 35-40 feet above the water line here in the moonpool...

Ordinarily there is a slip joint located here but since the stack is on deck and we are not currently drilling, there is no need for it...

Unfortunately the pics do not portray the depth of field and therefore the height of these splashes... Some of them were almost up onto the deck... and I was getting quite wet from the spray coming off of them... In one of the shots, you see a hose hanging down through the image, this is a jumper hose for the Choke/Kill lines... It has a gooseneck at one end of it, and it is part of the well control system... This hose is rated for 10,000 PSI, and it has a 3.0" ID, and is around 6.5 to 7 inches OD... It's really big, and looks pretty puny in the image...
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #1086
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Amazing what can be done with blue duct tape.
Shhhhh, you're not supposed to give away my secrets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
haha, I read the whole post in the character you started with. LMAO

Wasn't the same the last half.

I LOVE to restore shit. Very nice job. So now they can go abuse it again.
Tinkering with stuff is my favorite pastime, and I love running tubing, especially small tedious jobs like this one... The long runs with few bends bore me to tears... give me a little one with lots of tight bends and hard to fit areas and I'm in heaven... It drives one driller and an Asst. Driller nuts... They'll stand there and watch me and when it's break time they want me to go to chop chop... (the galley and food) and I'll usually walk with them, smoke a cigarette in the designated smoking area, and head back to the shop while their still eating... They'll come back out 20 or so minutes later and find me with my MP3 player plugged in listening to New Age (Yanni) or Country (Trisha Yearwood) or Rock (38 Special, Van Halen, Bon Jovi) and having a ball, tuning the whole world out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Damn, I wish you were around for the rest of the Firebird's hardline. It took me forever to do stainless -3 lines for the brakes and -4 lines for the fire suppression system and some -8 and -10 for the fuel. My biggest problem was getting the -3 brake lines to not leak at high psi. I used a 37 degree flare to keep everything AN compliant. I had to add those little Earl's plumbing aluminum washers to make them seal. Stainless on stainless just never quite sealed for me.

So doing that hardline is an art and then some. Nice job R.
I'm not big on flare fittings, preferring compression (swage) fittings and my personal fav is Swagelok fittings. My supervisors in town would stroke the F out if they caught me using a compression washer... I'ld be looking for a job for sure...

We deal with up to 30,000 PSI fittings... Those come pre made for the most part, and I use only Swagelok with tubing going subsea... We also have parker compression fittings but I do not care for them at all... I'll use them for surface applications if I dont have the necessary Swagelok fittings for a specific purpose, but other than that... We make our own hoses with a Parkrimp machine, and subsea guys are the only ones on the rig that are supposed to make them, due to the variations in fittings and hose compatabilities... Too many hoses were blowing apart at the compression fittings and so....

To give you an idea about the problem with mismatched hoses and fittings, a rig may make as much as 500,000 per day... If they are in Ultra Deep water, over 6000 feet, and something happens to a hose, they may have to shut in the well, pull the stack, or at least the LMRP, and recover it to the surface... make the necessary repairs and run it back down... So, 10 minutes to make a 20 dollar hose, fittings and hose included, and it could cost the company literally millions of dollars in down time.... Plug the well if the bad hose is on the stack, rig up to pull the stack is a couple of days. Pulling the stack can take a couple of days, and making the repair takes ten minutes, (swap a hose) testing the function takes a while, and run the stack back down, a couple more days, relatch to the wellhead, test the entire stack... and then drill out the cement plugs... Your looking at a week minimum... 3.5 million, maybe two weeks, 7 mil... It's a problem... we don't take it lightly...

Old 06-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #1087
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:

Ok smarta$$ I was gonna compliment your bending skillz but I think I see a kink in one

How do you paint anything? Can't paint over rust but I'm betcha you can watch bare metal oxidize right before your eyes out there
Old 06-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #1088
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
The weather has turned to straight up doo doo out here. Appropriate since Doug crapped in here anyway...

Yeah...the first couple pix of the waves and I"m like....that don't look bad. Then I see the next one and I'm like, "where'd the boat go?"

Oh...there it is...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:29 AM   #1089
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Ok smarta$$ I was gonna compliment your bending skillz but I think I see a kink in one

How do you paint anything? Can't paint over rust but I'm betcha you can watch bare metal oxidize right before your eyes out there
We use a thick nap roller...

Actually, we use a needle gun and buffers and take the metal pretty much down to bare metal... What rust coating remains is treated with a compound that converts the rust to a form of primer. We then prime it, seal coat it and then apply the color. It takes time and we loose mil thickness.... While it didn't apply to this pump assembly, there are some pieces we have to be strategic with what gets painted or it wont go back together... A production riser hanger is one example... If you paint the steel pins and hinge locations, the areas that rust the worst, then the dang thing wont go back together... So, we clean it as best we can, wipe it down with paint thinner and grease the hell out of it....

We paint pretty much anything that doesn't move, including the occasional roustabout....

Roustabouts are entry level employees, (they chase the big yellow ball hanging from the crane) and there are a world of funny stories about them... Notable ones earn a life long nickname during this time... Tie Wrap is one that comes to mind... He had never seen a tie wrap when he first came offshore...He was playing with one and cinched it down on his finger... tightly... He thought there was a release... He had to go to the rig medic who used a ring cutter to get it off... Nope, no release, and he is known pretty much only as tie wrap now... You can call the office and ask where tie wrap is working and they'll 1.) know who you're talking about, and 2.) probably know which rig he is on...

We had a roustabout on a rig I worked on a few years ago that loved to lean on handrails... It mattered not where on the rig he was, he could manage to find a rail to lean on... (loved to watch work being performed)

The people that work out here are for the most part, a "little touched" and are very non-tolerant of laziness... So, I had seen this trend of laziness and decided to fix it...

I got two scrub brushes and cut slits in them so a belt would slide through it... I drilled holes and after slipping the belt in to them, I bolted the brushes in place so they would stay in front of the bearer... I added some suspenders, and presented it to the hand rail fixture... His crane operator (supervisor) watched the proceedings... I told him if he was going to lean on the rails all the time, he could at least be scrubbing them while doing so... He had to wear it the rest of his tour, (pronounced tower, cajun translation) including to dinner... He got the message and actually turned into a great employee...

Out here, we work hard, and at home play harder... One more old adage... "you get it or you're gone."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

Yeah...the first couple pix of the waves and I"m like....that don't look bad. Then I see the next one and I'm like, "where'd the boat go?"

Oh...there it is...
I wish I could get and post video of it... As I type this, the worst of it has moved through for now... Now it's just dang cold and the wind is still blowing rain horizontally when the squalls move through... We are hoping the flight that couldn't land yesterday for part of the national crew change makes it today or tomorrows flights will be further backed up, making it tough for us to get off the rig...

Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #1090
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Looks like a dangerous place to work...Do ya'll watch "Deadliest Catch" video's and call em' pansies?

.... So... Robert.... What's your nickname?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #1091
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Those are some serious seas Robert. It is always so hard to get a sense of just how powerful the ocean is. Crazy stuff. Maybe someday (when it becomes public) you can see some of the stuff we are working on that allows unmanned vessels to operate in any sea state. People such as yourself that are familiar with open water really appreciate it.

Very cool pics.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #1092
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Looks like a dangerous place to work...Do ya'll watch "Deadliest Catch" video's and call em' pansies?

.... So... Robert.... What's your nickname?
It's only dangerous if you let it be... We pay attention all the time to our surroundings... We have to... Military pilots call it situational awareness, and if you don't have it when you first come out here, you soon develope it, for yourself and others as well...

we constantly look out for others to make sure their focus on a task doesn't cause them tunnel vision and get them in trouble...

Happy Feet... :(

I have a healthy dose of self imposed chicken factor...

When I was working in Mexico, we were suffering a really bad storm and it was decided that we were going to disconnect the completion conduit and testing hoses running down into the hole... There were some chicksan lines that had to be disconnected... This is hard to explain and probably harder to follow if you don't know the equipment and lingo, but I'll try...

A chicksan is a high pressure pipe with a hammer union swivel on each end... we use them to run from say the Choke/Kill manifold to a cement head on the drill string... the pipe going down into the hole...

The pipe going into the hole is held by the elevators, which are held by lifting bails... Think of a dog bone 15-20 feet long, solid steel with a hole at each end... they weigh several thousand lbs each...

so, the roughnecks were hiding behind the draw works since the chicksans were clattering from flat on the deck to fully extended as the rig was heaving up and down...

The driller and asst driller were trying to hammer the union loose, with a 16 lb sledge hammer, and since they were at risk of getting hit by the chicksans, I got a rope and lassoed the chicksans and was holding them back from the Driller and AD, and warning them when the pipes were coming back down so they could move...

Well, about this time the olmstead valve on the drill string compensator locked and so the top drive and stuff were no longer heaving with the rig... The elevators hit the drill floor, the bails started leaning out to the side,, the chains on the link tilt broke, and by the time the rig heaved the other way, the bails were close enough to me I could have tiptoed and kissed them... Yup, my feet were going 90 to nothing, but I wasn't going anywhere... I wanted to, but I was still trying to keep the chicksans off the driller and AD... hence... Happy Feet...Most of the guiys on this rig dont know that though... the AD does, he was over on the other rig when this happened... he was off tour but on the rig...

Tags
225.8, camaro of the week, drive shaft specialists of tx, dss, erl, henderson performance tech, i am second, rockland standard gear, slayer billet quad carbon, texas mile, the circle, tracspec motorsports, twin turbos, w-bar's lord satchmo of lazy d