Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #85
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Sorry to ruffle everyone's feathers but its just my opinion. I just don't understand where the Z28 fits in. If I wanted an all out track car I would get a Z06. 500 lbs lighter and no deletes. What does a Z28 offer over a Z06 for around the same price? More weight, a back seat with no padding, optional a/c, no radio, and no sound deadening. I think the car is fantastic, but they should of let the buyer decide how they want it built for that kind of money. They made a trailer/garage queen that will be miserable anywhere but the track. In 1967 Z28 was an RPO OPTION correct?
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #86
Verbolten

Drives: someday a convertible
The Z/28 option code was introduced in December 1966 for the 1967 model year. It was the brainchild of Vince Piggins, who conceived offering "virtually race-ready" Camaros for sale from any Chevrolet dealer.[5] This option package was not mentioned in any sales literature, so it was unknown to most buyers.[6] The Z/28 option required power front disc brakes and a close-ratio Muncie 4-speed manual transmission (posi-traction was optional). It featured a 302 cu in (4.9 L) small-block V-8 engine, 3" crankshaft with 4" bore, an aluminum intake manifold, and a 4-barrel vacuum secondary Holley carburetor of 780 cfm. The engine was designed specifically to race in the Trans Am series (which required engines smaller than 305 cu in (5.0 L) and public availability of the car. Advertised power of this engine was listed at 290 hp (216 kW). This is an under-rated figure.[6] Chevrolet wanted to keep the horsepower rating at less than 1 hp per cubic inch, for various reasons (e.g. insurance and racing classes). The factory rating of 290 hp occurred at 5300 rpm, while actual peak for the high-revving 302 was closer to 360 hp (268 kW) (with the single four barrel carb) and 400 hp (298 kW) (with optional dual-four barrel carbs) at 6800-7000 rpm. The Z/28 also came with upgraded suspension, racing stripes on the hood and trunk lid, '302' front fender emblems on the 67 and early 68 cars, and 'Z/28' emblems in late 68 & 69. It was also possible to combine the Z/28 package with the RS package
Verbolten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #87
rock1962

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
ZL1 should have been this a stripped down preformance car with a 427. The Z28 should have been more like the ZL1 I think they got it backwards. The good thing about this is these Z28's will be a rare car I don't think they will sell as well as the ZL1.
rock1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #88
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I haven't been warned in a while, so here goes.......

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU SPOILED BRATS?????

You don't like the new Z/28? FINE! Just quit bitching!

Go back and read what a lot of the old-timers, that knew what a Z/28 was, have been saying what a 5th gen car should be....... GM NAILED IT!

You bitch because it doesn't have A/C... really? Get the friggin A/C option! sheesh.

You bitch because it doesn't have a radio.... TOUGH! Go buy a honda and fill the back seat with 12's and amps, or whatever you kids are doing nowadays.

You bitch because it's going to be expensive..... It has a LS7 with the dry sump system intact! It also has the drivetrain to handle that power all.day.long.

It has brakes that are only found on high dollar exotics! I'm amazed they did that, very cool!

It has high dollar Recaro's that will keep you comfy while you're pulling hard G's thru the corners... SWEET!

This car has all the bells and whistles a Z/28 needs, without all the fluff it doesn't.

WELL DONE GM!!!

I've read most all of the Z/28 posts... for a few years now... I'm really disappointed that the younger generation doesn't even know what the car is.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #89
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcchuck View Post
The Z/28 option code was introduced in December 1966 for the 1967 model year. It was the brainchild of Vince Piggins, who conceived offering "virtually race-ready" Camaros for sale from any Chevrolet dealer.[5] This option package was not mentioned in any sales literature, so it was unknown to most buyers.[6] The Z/28 option required power front disc brakes and a close-ratio Muncie 4-speed manual transmission (posi-traction was optional). It featured a 302 cu in (4.9 L) small-block V-8 engine, 3" crankshaft with 4" bore, an aluminum intake manifold, and a 4-barrel vacuum secondary Holley carburetor of 780 cfm. The engine was designed specifically to race in the Trans Am series (which required engines smaller than 305 cu in (5.0 L) and public availability of the car. Advertised power of this engine was listed at 290 hp (216 kW). This is an under-rated figure.[6] Chevrolet wanted to keep the horsepower rating at less than 1 hp per cubic inch, for various reasons (e.g. insurance and racing classes). The factory rating of 290 hp occurred at 5300 rpm, while actual peak for the high-revving 302 was closer to 360 hp (268 kW) (with the single four barrel carb) and 400 hp (298 kW) (with optional dual-four barrel carbs) at 6800-7000 rpm. The Z/28 also came with upgraded suspension, racing stripes on the hood and trunk lid, '302' front fender emblems on the 67 and early 68 cars, and 'Z/28' emblems in late 68 & 69. It was also possible to combine the Z/28 package with the RS package
This isn't 1967 anymore. Welcome to 2013.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #90
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post

Go back and read what a lot of the old-timers, that knew what a Z/28 was, have been saying what a 5th gen car should be....... GM NAILED IT!

You bitch because it doesn't have A/C... really? Get the friggin A/C option! sheesh.

You bitch because it doesn't have a radio.... TOUGH! Go buy a honda and fill the back seat with 12's and amps, or whatever you kids are doing nowadays.

You bitch because it's going to be expensive..... It has a LS7 with the dry sump system intact! It also has the drivetrain to handle that power all.day.long.

It has brakes that are only found on high dollar exotics! I'm amazed they did that, very cool!

This car has all the bells and whistles a Z/28 needs, without all the fluff it doesn't.

WELL DONE GM!!!

And your bitching because other ppl are bitching. Join the club.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #91
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:

WELL DONE GM!!!

+1
Old 03-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #92
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccinator View Post
Sorry to ruffle everyone's feathers but its just my opinion. I just don't understand where the Z28 fits in. If I wanted an all out track car I would get a Z06. 500 lbs lighter and no deletes. What does a Z28 offer over a Z06 for around the same price? More weight, a back seat with no padding, optional a/c, no radio, and no sound deadening. I think the car is fantastic, but they should of let the buyer decide how they want it built for that kind of money. They made a trailer/garage queen that will be miserable anywhere but the track. In 1967 Z28 was an RPO OPTION correct?
Yup at least someone shares my opinion. It will be funny to hear those people that actually get to buy one bitching when they have to replace the brakes and tires on it, when right now they are telling us to stop whining "that GM nailed it" oh wait nevermind, only a handful will probably ever see the track or have more than 500 miles on it after 10 years!! LOL
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #93
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:

It has high dollar Recaro's that will keep you comfy while you're pulling hard G's thru the corners... SWEET!

WELL DONE GM!!!

I've read most all of the Z/28 posts... for a few years now... I'm really disappointed that the younger generation doesn't even know what the car is.
Well put.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #94
Baldwin feeder

Drives: 1986 Chevy C-10 and 2013 BRM 1SS
To me a ZL1 should have a 427 perhaps because I grew up knowing a ZL1 as a 427 aluminum engine. I agree with the Z28 being a track car but I'm still confused why GM brought back the ZL1 name without a 427 given yhe LS7 existed. Especially since most 1969 ZL1 camaros were basic cars with go fast parts a name swap makes sense to me historically. Z/28 cars were great track cars but many came optioned for the street. This is all my opinion and as I stated before if my only gripe is how they are named then obviously I am thrilled they are building these cars as is. Almost makes me question why I ordered a '13.
Baldwin feeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #95
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:

WELL DONE GM!!!

I think for the most part , people could care less about the AC and stereo (I know I don't care). People are a little miffed because this thing is going to cost $70-75k (speculation based on GM saying this will be at the apex of the Camaro Tier). People have been clammering since 2010 for a Z-28 and now GM builds a $75k, LIMITED PRODUCTION, track car? Don't get me wrong, it's bad ass, but why a limited numbers car? It should come as a $45k base with options for all the bells and whistles.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #96
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ss-booya View Post
After reading this thread, I'm convinced you can't make everyone happy. No matter how good GM nailed it with the z28, there's always the few that say "but but but my waydio and speakazz"....

If I didn't have my zl1, which I'm considering tracking soon, I'd definitely be ordering the z28.
If I own a business to make money, I would be more concerned about making as many people as possible happy!! If I only catered to a niche market in my business, I would go bankrupt.....................
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #97
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
If I own a business to make money, I would be more concerned about making as many people as possible happy!! If I only catered to a niche market in my business, I would go bankrupt.....................
THIS!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #98
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
Here's my take on this.... and maybe I'm in left feild as well but hear me out a sec.

After reading the statement that Mr. Settlemire made earlier in the thread... I think GM has somewhat built this bed for themselves... not bashing but check it out.

So the Z28 was born to race... in 1967 and years later... yes we know that. But, what followed was the birth of the "Z28" Camaro that most of us know as the Camaro to go get in the 80's and 90's and even 2000's... up until 1996 when the Z28 was built by GM and sent to SLP to have the SS package installed so then the SS was the car to go get.

Where did GM go wrong in my opinion? They took the RPO Z28 and made it the everyday sports car with the creature comforts, the style, the go fast motor, an affordable sports car... and put em on the dealer lots, cause there was no other option for Camaro unless you wanted a V6 Camaro or Corvette which most couldn't afford then or needed more than 2 seats.

So fast forward to 2010.... I think everyone was expecting to see "that" car again... The Z28 that handles good, the badges, the leather interior and amenities, go fast motor.... Not the race car that it was orginally set out to be and new race car that it's gonna be. I'm not saying it's GM's fault for this uproar, but I don't think they done themselves any favors by making it the prime Camaro to get for so many years through the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, because that is what set the expectations for so many here and it's not what people were expecting.

I like the car... its options, and what it stands for... even though I really have no use for it cause I don't race or have a track to go to. So that brings us to the ZL-1... which I think IS "that" car we were so used to seeing over the last 25 years, just with different badges.
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote