Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 04-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
stickystuff

Drives: 1LE ordered
Road Racing worthy???

So I wanted to see what you really thought of the 1le or ss on track. I know its heavy monster but how does it hang with the m3's, 4wd imports, etc? Did you drive anything else on the track prior to your 1le or ss? I used to run a c5 z06 and currently an e46 m3. I'm getting cold feet thinkin the 1le won't be as track worthy as they say, mainly due to weight. And when I read and watch the reviews I feel like its a great car compared to the exsisting ss for some reason now or just the mustang. I also have not seen one out here in the NE tracking. Would love your unbiased thoughts on tracking the car. Mine arrives next week and want to make the right decisions. You guys seem like the few on hear that actually has some experience. Thanks for taking the time.
'87 Corvette, 91 Corvette, '93 Corvette, '97 Corvette, '03 Corvette Z06
'94 Supra TT
'96 911 993
CURRENT
'04 BMW M3
'82 BMW 320i
'05 H2

stickystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
My SS only has 1LE sways, Pedders cradle bushing inserts, Solo Cats, stainless brake lines, DOT 4 brake fluid and race brake pads on track day. I only went to one HPDE so far with all beginner drivers. I passed M3's, STI's, Evo's, AMG's and many others. Only one car passed me and it was a more modified 2010 camaro. A Corvette, Viper and my camaro were all very close.

I know better drivers and modded cars could beat me, and the drivers in my group may not have been willing to push there cars like I do. I am not claiming to be Mr. Badass, I am only giving you my one experience that says a properly modified Camaro SS or 1LE is a very legitimate road course car. Autocross evens things out a bit, but the camaro is still very competitive with the right set up. At the most recent (2nd)autocross attended, I finished 23rd in raw times out of 60 cars and 13th with PAX adjustments.

Check out Car and Driver Lightning Lap times to verify the Camaro's validity as a road course performer.
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Since you asked specifically about the 1LE I will only show you this post.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280635

However, there are many of us that track our cars, SS and 1LE, that have videos up in various places. Mine, from the Autobahn CC, is just a few down in this very section. These cars, set up correctly for the track, are very capable. I personally pass many M3, Corvette, Mustang, Porsche, etc.

Also check out this group.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=244

Once you get it, you will see and won't be sorry.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Search for the SoCal race team on either here or Facebook. There are several guys and lady's running these cars very hard and walking home with top honors in their respective classes. Don't let the weight fool you, these cars handle very well and have the power to make up for their shortcomings.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
You'll spend more on brake consumables and they need some mods to deal with their weight but no car is perfect out of the box. With a 1LE you've already taken care of the biggest weak links: tires, sways, and improved shocks although not as good as double adjustables. Upgrade the brakes and oil cooler if you want to get serious and you can have lots of fun.

Who you pass will depend on you as the driver but with basic mods these cars are faster than most.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote