Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
Electric power steering

So the 1LE has electric power steering right? So does that mean if you turn the key to ACC while running, you'll still have power to the steering, but engine is off?
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
EAS...

Electronic assisted steering.

Not 100% elec. steering.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
Turbosaurus

Drives: '14 Camaro 2SS/1LE
Killed the engine with too much clutch, too little gas while pulling into the garage the other day. No electric assist with the engine dead, even with the key in run. So no, don't think you'll have "power steering" with it in ACC.

Past:

'69 Chevelle SS396
'79 Camaro 400SBC/TH400
Present:
'14 Camaro 2SS/1LE
'03 Avalanche (tow car for...)
Twin-turbo SBC Super Comp Dragster
Future:
FFR 33 Hot Rod w/ SBC
RCR GT-40 w/ LS7
Turbosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
I thought all 2013s had EAS. And has anyone converted to EAS on earlier cars?
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosaurus View Post
Killed the engine with too much clutch, too little gas while pulling into the garage the other day. No electric assist with the engine dead, even with the key in run. So no, don't think you'll have "power steering" with it in ACC.
Why is that though, if it's electric, it would make sense to me that they would want it enabled in situations like that!
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #6
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
In the industry it is know as EPS, Electronic power steering. Still has what you would think of as a rack, but there is no fluid. There is a large electric motor that provides assistance and is tunable for feel/feedback. If you switch you traction and stability off there is a different feel from the wheel than when the nannies are on. (By design)

Why would the assist stay on when the car is off or stalled? There is no difference between this and traditional fluid assist racks. When the engine is off/ the pump isn't on you don't get assistance either.

I worked with EPS motors in a past life.

Matt
Old 03-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #7
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
In the industry it is know as EPS, Electronic power steering. Still has what you would think of as a rack, but there is no fluid. There is a large electric motor that provides assistance and is tunable for feel/feedback. If you switch you traction and stability off there is a different feel from the wheel than when the nannies are on. (By design)

Why would the assist stay on when the car is off or stalled? There is no difference between this and traditional fluid assist racks. When the engine is off/ the pump isn't on you don't get assistance either.

Matt
Matt, I get that there is a different feel with the TC / SC in comp mode, but what is the difference? Does it change the amount of input at the wheel to get the same result at the tires (in a sense, less lock to lock), or is it just less assist (I assume this is the case). I always have wondered.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
L99CAMA2011

Quote:

Matt
WOW. so it is possible to feel who you were in your past life. Nice I was just thinking of this yesterday.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
L99CAMA2011

Quote:

Matt
Seriously though is it possible to convert to EPS or do I have to trade.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Matt, I get that there is a different feel with the TC / SC in comp mode, but what is the difference? Does it change the amount of input at the wheel to get the same result at the tires (in a sense, less lock to lock), or is it just less assist (I assume this is the case). I always have wondered.
The difference is in the weight of the steering. You cannot alter the amount of steering lock.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote