Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #5377
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
is there a requirement somewhere that says you HAVE TO buy an autonomous vehicle?

if there was a requirement then i would definitely agree with you on the 'erosion of personal liberty', but, you can still go out and buy a Hennessy Corvette and crash it into a wall if that's what makes ya happy
Not yet. But it's ok to be skeptical. The more folks die on the streets, the more big government claims actual drivers are the problem "if only all cars were fully autonomous"

In other words, for your own good, the federal government theoretically eliminates the option to drive the car yourself.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #5378
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
is there a requirement somewhere that says you HAVE TO buy an autonomous vehicle?

if there was a requirement then i would definitely agree with you on the 'erosion of personal liberty', but, you can still go out and buy a Hennessy Corvette and crash it into a wall if that's what makes ya happy
If they are going to go this route you’ll see an “all in” eventually. They’d have to. Hard to sell the “safety” of letting a computer take you to work when someone can drive into it.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:06 AM   #5379
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65

Not GM related, just leaving this here because my agency and daaayyumm that PIT though.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #5380
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quite a bit of tin-foil being used for hats in this thread
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #5381
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

Not GM related, just leaving this here because my agency and daaayyumm that PIT though.
1-There are Two Camaros in the video

2- Did she really Was listening EDM music while shasing the Civic? lol
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #5382
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
So safety is the goal? Then why isn't this eye-ball detection with alerts, sounds, stimuli, etc., used full time all the time with the hands on the wheel? And keep the driver's attention on the road, not something else? Why is it only coming about so you can do fewer driving functions by taking your hands off the wheel? Is there a push to disable SmartPhones and hand-held devices inside the car in the interest of safety?

Instead of trying to determine what the driver may be up to, the hand held devices could be disabled in the interest of safety when inside the car by this available technology.

Creating a system allowing the driver to take his hands off the wheel and continue driving, then touting safety is just amazing. It's a recipe for disaster.
If something I have learned in the short time of life that I have is ... People do things because they want and allow things to happen because they want it or they do not care.

Person who grew up or formed carelessly in any area of ​​his life, in this case the Automotive Ethics, with or without automatic control devices or security will be a careless person, period.

Here the problem is not that millions and tons of dollars are invested in devices that allow the vehicle to be safer to the point that it has to do things and the driver does almost no effort. The problem is that the people (not generalizing of course) do not care and will do whatever they want.

There are people like you who prefer to do things themselves, but from that type of people there are many who are careless and are not as attentive as you can be. The same applies to the other side of the cover, that is, those who prefer the vehicle do most of the work, some will be attentive, others will not.

Do you want there to be fewer car accidents? Do not let someone who is careless have a car. How? You will know
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #5383
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Not yet. But it's ok to be skeptical. The more folks die on the streets, the more big government claims actual drivers are the problem "if only all cars were fully autonomous"

In other words, for your own good, the federal government theoretically eliminates the option to drive the car yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
If they are going to go this route you’ll see an “all in” eventually. They’d have to. Hard to sell the “safety” of letting a computer take you to work when someone can drive into it.
not saying that speculation is bad, but in this case what is being speculated is outlandish. we have no where near the number of fatalities from road accidents today compared to 30-40 years ago AND we are traveling so much more.

i'd like to direct your attention to the below stats for the leading causes of death in 2016:

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
Heart disease: 633,842
Cancer: 595,930
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
Alzheimer’s disease: 110,561
Diabetes: 79,535
Influenza and Pneumonia: 57,062
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 49,959
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193

the above numbers were taken from: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

we had more deaths by suicide than road accidents in 2016 (37,461 - found on wikipedia so it might be wrong)

a better argument would be for environmental purposes. i would expect a number of autonomous vehicles to be hybrids or plug-in electrics so that would have more weight than safety imo

edit: for more weight we had nearly double the number of deaths from drug overdose than vehicle deaths. again, safety will not be their chosen argument
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #5384
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Fen that video pretty intense RESPECT
Old 06-08-2018, 06:41 AM   #5385
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
There are so many aspects of driving that are fluid and change sometimes on a daily basis. I wonder how these driverless cars will handle these situations when there is no steering wheel or pedals.
I thought of a couple situations while driving yesterday. Construction zones where the speed limits temporally drop dramatically. How will they handle these temporary speed limit changes?
Also school zones, so many school zones, school schedules, speed limit changes crossing guards with hand held stop signs etc, how will they know when to slow down or stop and what speed to slow to?
Laws that say to slow down or move to the left lane for emergency vehicles on the side of the road?
Will it know to pull over and stop when a cop tries to pull it over for a traffic violation or other reason?
To me this is just a few things that are going to be a nightmare for software and AI.
I think it is a big mistake to completely do away with driver ability to take control, there needs to always be some kind of system so the driver can take control.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:55 AM   #5386
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

Nicely done. I could never do y’all’s job. Stay safe out there.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #5387
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:

Not that I am going to enjoy the day driverless cars are a thing, but what is the problem if drivers aren't? Cars don't crash themselves.

Now if you say it is way too easy for a person to get their drivers license, I would agree and we need to make it harder for people to get their license and improve their education. But it won't stop people from driving drunk, texting and driving, etc.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #5388
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Not that I am going to enjoy the day driverless cars are a thing, but what is the problem if drivers aren't? Cars don't crash themselves.
Sure, but people also code the autonomous software so it's far from perfect.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #5389
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Nicely done the way she pinned him to the barrier. I assume he must have has some warrants if he tried that hard to get away. Tough job those people do.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #5390

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Sure, but people also code the autonomous software so it's far from perfect.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadil...cruise-review/

Far from perfect, indeed. In fact, dangerous at times. A good review pointing out it's limitations....especially where something might happen on the road where the system doesn't even warn you in a timely enough fashion. You can look away for five seconds before you even get the first little warning...Enough time for something very bad to happen, or send a text if you are "skilled" enough....Missing is how much total time of warnings before the car actually tries to stop on it's own....Probably enough to send that all important text from your hand-held Smart-phone...

Even the test-drivers expected it to perform better than it did in several areas. Imagine the average buyer unaware of it's limitations while on the road with the rest of the innocent public. Not to mention it costs 5K more.

No thanks, and watch out for Cadillac cars sharing the road with you.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions