Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-31-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
My Shootout: 2010 Camaro SS vs. 2011 Mustang GT

(Note to Mods: Was posted in Camaro vs. section, but felt since it involves another car it was okay to cross-post. Let me know if otherwise, thank you.)

To preface this, the purpose of this thread is not to foster bickering between fanboys. As this comparison was done completely on my own without drawing from rag reviews or anything like that, I'd hate to see it thrown into the million-page Mustang thread. Especially with the time I spent doing it. This is not to promote one car over the other, but is a guide to others like myself who are fans of all muscle cars and find themselves on the fence.

I drive a 2006 Mustang GT. Back in Jan '06 when I bought it, my choices were limited to either the Mustang or the GTO. While I did love the power the GTO offered, I didn't care for the bland styling. So I pulled the trigger on a GT, and haven't since regretted it. However, now that the GT has over 60k miles on it and the muscle car wars have heated up again, I felt the time was right to look at potential replacements.

Because I only have around 30-35k to spend, I decided to look at the Camaro and the Mustang 5.0. While I would have loved to test a Challenger (it has my favorite body style of the three), my price range is a bit below the high premium that the SRT-8 commands, and the R/T doesn't seem to hold up against either of Dodge's competitors (at least not on paper).

2010 Camaro SS:

I actually had a chance to drive this a few weeks ago, but wanted to pit it against the new 5.0 before I wrote about it. I have wanted a Camaro ever since the concept first made an appearance a few years ago. After gazing through showroom windows for several months, I finally got a chance to drive one when my friend offered me a test drive in his SS.

The first thing I noticed is how small the cabin is. Which is awesome. I'm 5'6", so it's not very often that I get into a car that actually fits me. The interior quality is fantastic, with the most comfortable leather seats I've ever sat in. My only gripes are frequently noted ones, and they are the shapes of the steering wheel and shifter knob. I understand that the designers wanted to keep them like the concept, but form should never take precedence over function when it comes to simple driving controls. A simple steering wheel with a comfortable shifter knob is key, and honestly I feel GM made a mistake in this area. Overall though, the interior is fantastic.

However, if I wanted a perfect interior, I'd have gotten a Mercedes. The real reason everyone gets this car is found under the hood. And it sure doesn't bother to hide itself. The LS3 makes its presence known, and the IRS and 6-speed combine with it to create the most driver-friendly car I've ever been in. This is a touring car, plain and simple.

I do have two minor issues with the performance. One is the weight. It doesn't feel like a truck, and it's not like the LS3 has difficulty moving it, but you can definitely feel the weight holding the car to the road. The other is skip-shift. The whole point of getting a stick in the first place is to have complete control over your vehicle, and skip-shift takes a dump on that notion. From what I understand it's actually pretty simple to remove the feature, and were I to get an SS, it would be the first thing to go.

Overall, I loved it, and would have no problems shelling out the cash to own one.

2011 Mustang GT:

My current 2006 Mustang GT is amazing. It represents the rebirth of the muscle car era, and a turning point for Ford in general. It's a beautiful deep blue color and wears white stripes. The Ford Racing headers and catback give the ol' 4.6 an awesome throaty tone, and when you open it up on the highway, it lets you know it can handle anything you throw at it. My Mustang; an American classic if there ever was one.

Today I drove a 2011 Mustang GT.

My Mustang sucks.

I was a little surprised when I heard Ford was actually going to take the horsepower wars seriously this time around, and even more surprised when they resurrected the 5.0/302. So when my dealer called and told me they got in a demo 5.0 with a stick, I was there within the hour.

First off, the interior is greatly improved. Quality leather, awesome sound system, etc. What really sets it off is the ambient lighting throughout the interior. The cupholders, the gauges, the underdash, and even the door sill plates light up in whatever color you choose. Unfortunately, Ford still hasn't felt the need to offer a tilt-adjust to the back of the seat. In my experience, my perfect seat position always seems to be right between two of the offered positions. Perhaps an 8-way adjustable seat is an option, I don't know, but I sure missed it on this one.

What I don't miss is the 4.6. This Mustang is fast. The 5.0 is a godsend for Mustang fans, and the sound is incredible. Ford supposedly designed the exhaust note using McQueen's Mustang in Bullitt as the basis. I don't know if this is true, but I'm assuming it was because it sounds identical. I was drooling in the demo car imagining how it would sound with a catback. Also, Ford finally decided to put in a 6-speed. While they're about a decade late to that party, I'm still glad they did it. The throws on it are pretty short too. It handles surprisingly well despite having the live axle setup, but I want to know why Ford is still putting stagecoach axles on their cars. While you can throw it through the curves just fine, it doesn't offer the smooth ride the Camaro does. However, it does feel lighter, which goes a long way in terms of handling.

Overall, Ford made a killer machine. It feels more like an SVT vehicle than a standard Ford. People who don't give the Mustang a second glance need to look again, because this time around the Mustang is fierce competition.

I'd like to say there was a clear cut winner, but I'm ruling this one as too close to call. The Mustang is slightly faster and has more user-friendly controls, but the Camaro rides smoother, has the most comfortable leather, and is slightly less expensive. Both respond amazingly well to driver's actions, and I would spend my hard-earned money on either one of them. If someone put a gun to my head and said I had to choose one, I'd probably go with the Mustang since I'm already used to them, but I'd be content with buying a Camaro as well.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Very fair! I like your write up.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Nice write up, and thank you for your thoughts.

I have a question: What is it about the stick shift that you don't like? I've driven sticks for the last 20 years, and I thought the Camaro stock shifter was very nice. I've been surprised to hear reviewers comment on it. Is it that it's not a pistol grip, or something else?
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
great fantastic write up,

the funny thing is your write up on the SS is almost identical to most writeups about the challenger. which is what most people say the challenger is, a cruiser with power when you need it.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
Buelligun

Drives: 2SSRS manual yellow black stripes
Thats a great write up.
But I for one love the wheel and shifter in the Camaro
Buelligun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
The wheel is a little awkward in shape but it doesnt really bother me. I am fine with the shifter, I have big hands so its perfect to me. Everyone says the shifter ball is too big.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
I like the new mustang. I too test drove it this weekend. It has a lot of power to it and it has a tight suspension that I really like. It feels a lot more nimble than the camaro.

I wish the 2010 camaro had a live axle.

There are a few things that a muscle car should have...
-Manual Transmission
-Big pushrod V8 engine
-live axle

Don't give me the BS about ride quality, if I wanted a smoother ride I would have gotten a full size sedan. I would much prefer to feel every bump in the road.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #8
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Nice write up, and thank you for your thoughts.

I have a question: What is it about the stick shift that you don't like? I've driven sticks for the last 20 years, and I thought the Camaro stock shifter was very nice. I've been surprised to hear reviewers comment on it. Is it that it's not a pistol grip, or something else?
It's a bit big, but I do have small hands, so that could be it. However, it's mainly it's shape. The best way I can describe it is a donut turned on its side. I don't like how it's curved at the top but flat on the side. I'd rather have a shifter that was just one shape, like a sphere,
Old 06-01-2010, 12:55 AM   #9
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI Camarofan

-Manual Transmission
-Big pushrod V8 engine
-live axle

Don't give me the BS about ride quality, if I wanted a smoother ride I would have gotten a full size sedan. I would much prefer to feel every bump in the road.
Personally I'd rather have my cake and eat it too. You may not like ride quality, but the fact is most of the public does, and it's easier to sell cars with good ride quality.

Last edited by nester7929; 06-01-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:54 AM   #10
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan View Post
I like the new mustang. I too test drove it this weekend. It has a lot of power to it and it has a tight suspension that I really like. It feels a lot more nimble than the camaro.

-Manual Transmission
-Big pushrod V8 engine
-live axle

negative on the manual tranny
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
severianb

Drives: Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan View Post

A properly sorted multi-link suspension will always be superior to a live axle. The Camaro's suspension has much more upside to it than the Mustang's archaic crap live axle.

You can stiffen a independent suspension up with the right components until it acts like a live axle, if you desire, but for most conditions.... that's not what you want.
severianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Haha. I had two 3rd gen Camaro's. I don't want to feel every bump in the road, ever again.
Love the new Camaro's ride. It's unbelievable in that type of car.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
I've not driven the 2011 GTs yet...I'd love to sit behind the wheel of one though and just see what it feels like. I know the 2010s...while feeling lighter and a bit more nimble...was still behind my Camaro SS in overall feel, looks and performance (IMO). The interior is comparable to me...but I'd give a slight edge to Ford if I had to pick one. Although I love the seats much better in my Camaro!

My biggest complaint about the Camaro has been the overall feel and sound of the SS. It just seems so much larger than it really is...doesn't sound like a muscle car either. The stock exhaust is so terrible I can't even explain it...it just plain sucks! The feel of the interior dash and door panels is weak too...they feel like cheap plastic...but so did the 2010 GT...so like I said, comparable. Performance wise...Camaro all the way and really the main reason I personally bought the Camaro!

I've seen a couple 2011s but not been close enough to hear one or to get the feel for them either...sure I will sooner or later...

Great review...thanks!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
I've not driven the 2011 GTs yet...I'd love to sit behind the wheel of one though and just see what it feels like. I know the 2010s...while feeling lighter and a bit more nimble...was still behind my Camaro SS in overall feel, looks and performance (IMO). The interior is comparable to me...but I'd give a slight edge to Ford if I had to pick one. Although I love the seats much better in my Camaro!

My biggest complaint about the Camaro has been the overall feel and sound of the SS. It just seems so much larger than it really is...doesn't sound like a muscle car either. The stock exhaust is so terrible I can't even explain it...it just plain sucks! The feel of the interior dash and door panels is weak too...they feel like cheap plastic...but so did the 2010 GT...so like I said, comparable. Performance wise...Camaro all the way and really the main reason I personally bought the Camaro!

I've seen a couple 2011s but not been close enough to hear one or to get the feel for them either...sure I will sooner or later...

Great review...thanks!

if you test drive a 2011, before you start hit the brake and hold the TC button till it shuts off. if you dont the PCM will make you pay with practically stopping the car if it spins. the gates are very close, easy to go from 2nd to 5th.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote