Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #29
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
i am just getting the SS now and when the Z28 comes out then I will get that as well.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #30
Rekt

Drives: Z34 370Z
By the time I can get a Camaro, the Z/28 would be out.
Rekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #31
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Let's not start this again. It will cost too much and will outperform the Z06. No Z28 has ever been built to outperform the Z06. That's the role of a ZL1.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't do it.???
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #32
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Let's not start this again. It will cost too much and will outperform the Z06. No Z28 has ever been built to outperform the Z06. That's the role of a ZL1.
Then lets skip the Z28 and lets build the ZL1

As for the thread I personally am not holding out for the Z28, the SS is fine with me. I am going to use it as a learning tool so i can step up to a higher name badge than a Z28, if and when GM ever decides to give us a another ZL1.

Last edited by Camaro_Corvette; 10-27-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #33
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
It does not

IMVHO, it almost seems like a lot of the parts to cope with an LSA are already there, or on other cars. For example: the rear end has already been stated as have stood up to the abuse of some 600 horsepower (of course a 10-bolt from a 4th Gen. could stand up to 500 horse' until you bolted on drag radials or slicks...), and I'm sure either the 6L90 and TR6060 from the CTS-V would fit in there without much fuss. The car already comes with 14+-inch rotors (well, in the rear) and four pot calipers at all corners. I know that the added weight of the LSA and supporting components will add some weight, so we'd need new shocks and springs and probably stiffer bushings. Fuel system upgrades for the dual-mode fuel system and additional cooling for the intercooler. Maybe a couple trim pieces like different facias and hood - crash testing... I'd look toward Jinx' renderings because, to me, they totally make sense.

Anyhoo, as much as I'd like to see a car like Jinx has rendered with a bunch of the stuff I listed, I don't know how close they could keep it to what we know as GT500 price, and especially with the difficulties right now, this seems like a pipe dream. I have to hold-out in order to be able to afford a Camaro anyways, so unless I see this car by it's 45th Anniversary, I'll settle for an SS and stab a blower on it. I think the ideas about some minor changes for a little more power make sense in our climate right now, but that just doesn't seem like enough to distinguish this model. Look at the Bullet 'Stang... Meh. I'm crossing my fingers those of you who can afford this car can go out and get one - it'll give people like me, perhaps, the time and GM the support, to develop a car like this. I know there are other ideas that totally make sense and either way I'm happy our car is back and is as bad@$$ as it is

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:57 AM   #34
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
The Z28 will only be offered in lime green.
Polo Green or GTFO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyELF View Post
Wasn't the SS on the 4th gen camaros better than the z/28s?
yes and no. it was a Z28/SS, basically besides a few cosmetic changes, it had a different intake and exhaust from SLP that bumped the hp up a little more over the regular Z28
but keep in mind that the Camaro was already being looked at on the cutting board, when the 4th gens came out there were only 2 models, the base model v-6, and the top end z28. after sales started going up, people wanted more, so SLP offered to add a few performance options and slap a new badge on the car and call it an SS.
now gm has gone back and is doing it the right way with the base v6 and the SS being the top of the class... for now. if/when a z28 makes its triumphant return, it will be a mean performer. as for a s/c motor on the z, its possible, but id be more willing to bet that we'll see a direct injection v-8 in the Z.

Quote:
I like to avoid calling one better than the other. Either way, you're bound to make some people mad.

The SS was the higher tier as far as performance for the recent fourth generation, but that was not standard prior to that generation.

In the past, the Z28 represented a stripped, track-tuned setup with smaller displacement than the SS. The SS was more street-oriented. Options could be added to both, so all the trimmings were available. Most saw the Z28 as more of a racer while the SS was more of the show car. Both performed. Both were Camaros.
the SS was more of a show car due to the limited numbers of them and buyers wanting to keep their "top car" in pristine shape.

Quote:
LS9 Z28.... with methanol injection and a larger blower than the ZR1 released as a 2012 45th ann edition and the world will end. lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #35
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
You'll be waiting for a few years and even if they do build them, count on spending 40K.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #36
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Of course they should build a supercharged Camaro! I just wouldn't label it Z28 unless it has a smaller displacement than the 6.2L V8 from the SS. That would better fit the Z28 tradition.

For the sake of argument, I will post the traditional Camaro-Corvette hierarchy.

• Corvette ZR1
• Camaro ZL1
• Corvette Z06
• Camaro Z28*
• Corvette
• Camaro SS*
• Camaro LT
• Camaro LS

While there may be other models, like the Corvette Z51 or other performance trims, these are the most well-known. The Camaro LS is new to the hierarchy, and the Camaro LT was only used for a short period in the past. Neither the SS nor Z28 necessarily has to be faster than a Corvette. *The Camaro Z28 was more track-oriented in the past, so it does not necessarily out-perform the Camaro SS. In effect, they switched places for the fourth generation.

On this issue of hierarchy, no platform is superior. We are all Camaro enthusiasts. It is important that we respect the decisions of our members. They picked the best car for their purposes.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #37
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
You'll be waiting for a few years and even if they do build them, count on spending 40K.

I say it will be higher ... (42k at least base) .... time will tell Either way it will most likely be out of my pricerange .. that being said and not knowing if they will build one ... I'm getting my 2SS/RS now

Crowley
Old 10-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #38
IROCZJEFF

Drives: 69Z 70Z 85IROC-Z 911LE 97 SS
If and when they build the Z28/ZL1 I would bet that the car is in the $50,000 Plus range. The LSA CTS-V Super Charged motor is very expensive as well as the LS7 Z06 motor. As far as the LS9 ZR1 motor in a Camaro, I could only wish! This would be a great poll question. Who would today right now pay $50,000 for a Camaro with a Z06 motor? I would pay $50,000 today for one. I bought a Corvette because the new Camaro didn't have the big motor. I am waiting to see what happens. I will own a new Camaro when the HP/TQ numbers are right for me. Everyone who ordered a new Camaro CONGRATS!!! Jeff
IROCZJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:22 PM   #39
13F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZJEFF View Post
If and when they build the Z28/ZL1 I would bet that the car is in the $50,000 Plus range. The LSA CTS-V Super Charged motor is very expensive as well as the LS7 Z06 motor. As far as the LS9 ZR1 motor in a Camaro, I could only wish! This would be a great poll question. Who would today right now pay $50,000 for a Camaro with a Z06 motor? I would pay $50,000 today for one. I bought a Corvette because the new Camaro didn't have the big motor. I am waiting to see what happens. I will own a new Camaro when the HP/TQ numbers are right for me. Everyone who ordered a new Camaro CONGRATS!!! Jeff
I would pay the $50K for the Z28/ ZL1 Camaro. I think the next level of the camaro would be around the $45k range.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #40
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
id pay 70 for a ZL-1....
Old 10-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #41
13F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
id pay 70 for a ZL-1....
do you even have 70 to spend on the car or is that just wishfull thinking
Old 10-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #42
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Please just add a puffer to your LS3. The LS9 is a pressurized LS3. THAT'S your sleeper! No stinkin' bodges either.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote