Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #15
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
The ZL1 is the best riding car I have in my current fleet and better than my GT350 was. It absorbs bumps and misaligned sections of concrete road so well that I sometimes forget about them being there.. whereas even my X5 and BRZ have a tendency to bang and crash over some of them.
Yea the ZL1 is a nice riding vehicle. But I was asking about the ZL1 1LE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
LOL...

I'm back in the camp of STILL buying the ZL1 1LE, but I'll probably keep the Hellcat as a family car.

And yeah, the ZL1 1LE ride is terrible because it's designed for track/road course and not commutes. It's NOT an insult to point that out and keep it real. My use would be the awesome LA mountain roads and a bit of Willow Springs.

As much as I realize the ZL1 with an aero package would be "smarter" I still love the 1LE more. But I reserve the right to change my mind in 12 minutes.

R.
Yea I know how you felt about the ZL1 1LE ride. I want an opinion from someone different. I can't quite imagine it being as bad as you said it was. I drive my ZL1 exclusively in track mode and I feel it is very comfortable. In fact I wonder if it is too smooth the way it is. It handles like a beast tho. However my Challenger Hellcat is intolerable for DD in track mode. Even sport mode is much. It just bangs over bumps and is very harsh. And honestly, even normal driving mode on the Hellcat is rougher than track mode on my ZL1. So I'm trying to see what others think about the ZL1 1LE. Because if it is just slightly rougher than the standard ZL1's track mode then I think it would be fine.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #16
Boo

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Grey
"Heavy Electronic Breathing"......and

GIVE YOURSELF TO THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE....
Attached Images

Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:04 AM   #17
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARS1 View Post
Nice! I am ARS1 over there as well but I'll stop in from time to time over there and see what's going on. Now the wife want's me to trade my Focus RS in on a ZL1 or SS 1LE in Auto so she can drive one too All of my cars are Manual aside from the Vette but happy wife happy life right She's taking the Vette to pick our son up so I know it won't be long until she's in a Camaro as well...
Tell us about your Corvette Grand Sport driving experience compared to your ZL1 1LE? And how hard is the ZL1 1LE suspension for regular DD?
Great choices including your Raptor.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:30 AM   #18
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
GIVE YOURSELF TO THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE....
That's just the plain Jane ZL1, he has the 1LE

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #19
Tim202

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I drive my ZL1 exclusively in track mode and I feel it is very comfortable. So I'm trying to see what others think about the ZL1 1LE. Because if it is just slightly rougher than the standard ZL1's track mode then I think it would be fine.
I had a 17 SS 1LE for a little while and drove it a lot in Track mode, and from my butt dyno, I can say that the ZL1 1LE is a little rougher than Track mode. If I wasn't riding my motorcycle to work every day I would have no problems daily driving the ZL1.
Tim202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #20
ARS1

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE - Hyper Blue
The ride of the 1LE is rough I will admit but it's rough in a good way if that makes sense. I'd never tell anyone to buy a 1LE as a daily driver for that simple reason. It's bumpy because the suspension is hard mounted with no bushings or rubber to absorb impacts but it's supposed to be like that for a reason! BesidesI'm looking at trading my Focus RS in on a ZL1 in Auto for the wife to drive here and there instead of her Yukon, so if I want the power and the ride I can just drive that.

The things I didn't like about the Mustang are small things but small things that start to bug you after a while. For instance I have young kids and every time you put them in the back seat you always have to adjust your backrest back to the position you had it in before. The Camaro the seat flips up easier and it goes back to where you had it set when you push it back. The Shelby didn't even have power seats because they were the Recaro's. The Shelby had power but no where near the power the ZL1 has and to me the Shelby interior felt cheaper than the ZL1 and from the cars I have you can see I know the difference in the interiors. The 5.2L Flat Plain Crank vibrates like a 1980's women's play toy and everything in that car starts to rattle at some point. And the biggest issue was I was just scared to touch the car... Soooo many of them have had motors replaced do to oil leaks, oil pump gears shattering, oil lines blowing off etc... So I was terrified to mod the car at all and have the motor pop out of warranty! The ZL1 1LE I feel comfortable doing engine mods to after I get it broken in as I'm not one to leave a car stock for very long... Who doesn't want Headers, Exhaust, Cam etc. on a ZL1... I know I do!!!

There's just so many things that make even a ZL1 a far better car than the GT350 and when you put the 1LE package into the equation there's just no comparison. You get a more comfortable "even with the bumpy ride" driving experience, more power and loads of other options that you can forget about getting on a GT350. I love the alcantera seats and Ford won't let you do them with ventilated seats only heated. Well GM sure made it work and the seats in the ZL1 work way better in that aspect as well.

And I'm sure everyone can agree that if you put the 2 side by side the ZL1 1LE makes a GT350 look like a Fusion... This isn't hate on Ford or anything I still own a few Ford's and will always prefer an F250 over a Silverado or Sierra any day but on the performance side Chevy has the upper hand at this point in the game.

This is my current F250 on a Kelderman 6"-8" Air Lift and tons of other mods. And yes it's Tuned and Deleted running a +200hp PPEI Tune.

And before

'18 Jeep JL Rubicon - Blue - Wife's Ride
'17 F250 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ult. Shadow Black -Kelderman 6"-8" Air Lift -Big Truck
ARS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #21
ARS1

The difference between the Grand Sport and the ZL1 1LE is mainly power. The Grand Sport isn't Supercharged and it's an Auto so keeping the power down is much easier just not as much fun! I'm one that believes a car like this should be a manual unless for some reason you can't drive one... The wife can drive a manual but doesn't like it in the traffic we have around here. I just deal with it because those times not in traffic are when you can take advantage of the driving experience of a manual car. And obviously GM agrees with me as they made the 1LE Manual only as they should... Ford did the same with the GT350 and R but there's been talk of the Raptor 10 speed going into the GT500 if they ever decide to produce one. A lot of crowds would benefit from an Auto and traction control you can't turn off unless you take an extensive driving course and can prove that you can hang a corner at 50mph completely sideways and come out the other side straight... I can attest that the Mustang WILL get away from you if you're not careful. The Vette and Camaro tend to hook and straighten out as long as you let out of the throttle and don't hit the brakes. The Mustang especially the Shelby will just keep right on coming around on you and if you don't know how to control that it's going to end badly but that also has to do with GM putting some meat under these cars. The GT350 has a 305 in the rear, my ZL1 1LE has 305's in the front!!! And they're Pilot Super Sport's not Sport Cup 2's and my AWD Focus RS Came with Sport Cup 2's on it. Figure that one out...
Old 12-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #22
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Congrats and have fun
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #23
ARS1

Well we now have his and hers ZL1's! Bought her a 2018 Summit White ZL1 A10 and she loves it. I traded in my Focus RS for it but happy wife happy life right... I will get some pics up soon!
Old 12-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #24
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Well we now have his and hers ZL1's! Bought her a 2018 Summit White ZL1 A10 and she loves it. I traded in my Focus RS for it but happy wife happy life right... I will get some pics up soon!
Congrats, enjoy the ride.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #25
ARS1

Some pics of the 2 cars since getting the windows tinted on the wife's car. She loves this thing so much I'm thinking her Yukon isn't going to get driven very much anymore...

Old 12-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #26
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Some pics of the 2 cars since getting the windows tinted on the wife's car. She loves this thing so much I'm thinking her Yukon isn't going to get driven very much anymore...

Effin ey nice! Is that your GS? My girl is absolutely in love with a GS and I will get a Z06 or mid engine Vette. Too bad I just can't get her a GS like that
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #27
ARS1

Yeah but having 3 little ones we don't drive it very often. They all get driven at some point but the 2 seater is for solo trips! I'd advise anyone under 35 in a relationship against a vette My little one is going to be 5 in March though so even having a 2 door car with a back seat has recently become feasible...
Old 12-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #28
brduke

Drives: '18 1LE '12 V-Wagon, '16 F90 & M3
The long wait is over.

The 2018 HB was finally delivered.
The long wait is over.
Now the painful break-in period will start after the wrap is completed.
Attached Images

brduke is offline   Reply With Quote