Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-27-2014, 02:19 AM   #99
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Well, I could see in 5 yrs the elimination of manual trannies. GM has already done it to their trucks. It's just a matter of time. BS because of purists you say? Corporate scum doesn't care about a purist. They care about profit. And profit comes by not only buying, but repairing. A manual tranny if driven properly is more reliable than an auto aside from occasionally changing the clutch.

As for not being American, maybe so. I'm guessing the rest of the world is behind on times? Most of their vehicles are manual. With good reason. Especially in 3rd world countries where ppl can't change cars like underwear as they do here in the states. I agree with the poster who said it was because of the growth in laziness. If I could've gotten a manual tranny in my 2014 Sierra? It wouldntve been a thought. Manual is the better tranny.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #100
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by invaderzim View Post
Mines is a manual. The only automatics they had were either V6s or 1SS. I almost ordered an automatic 45th but went with a manual instead. One of the biggest regrets I have about my car. I'm way too old for this. I barely drive it because my knees aren't as young as they used to be.
I was looking for a 1LS, but after a hard time finding one I wanted, I found a 2LS that was just right for me.

At first, I was unsure about going with an automatic (I could come up with pros and cons), but then a few months later I noticed I had trouble twisting/gripping with my right hand. Apparently I have some wrist problems developing (carpel tunnel?), and I could imagine driving manual every day wouldn't help the situation. I'd hate to have difficulty driving my Camaro.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #101
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscheff3 View Post
It'll be a lot longer than that. Cars like Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, Corvette, and Viper will have enough manual purist customers that their next two or three generations will keep coming with stick shifts. Actually stick shift will probably be an option forever. The Mustang had a solid axle until 2014 so that's like having a manual transmission in 2099. The brand new vettes and Camaros still have pushrods...
By 2099 our descendants will all be commuting by boat. Usually no shiftable transmissions in watercraft so clutches go away.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #102
Lickwid Apex
OD

Drives: '18 Challenger R/T
Send a message via Yahoo to Lickwid Apex
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBody4Life View Post
Almost every one I see that I'm interested in turns out to be auto :(
I was at the Chevy dealer getting the oil changed in my kiddo's Spark last week. There were four very long rows of Camaro's to be ogled. All of them automatics. Most of them V6 with the RS package.

I'm willing to bet that a manual transmission is becoming the enthusiasts choice and not the norm. I wish more people were engaged in driving. It can be really fun when you put in the effort.
Lickwid Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #103
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfinkharley View Post
Yes, please post some facts. Your BiaSed opinions are laughable.

I'll even give you some help on your mpg claim. Check the mpg for the ford focus and Nissan versa.

Do you even know how to set timing with a hand tool not a computer? Or change your oil? Or are you just an Internet tough guy racer? Not impressed, intimated or concerned.
Your consistent use of logical fallacies is amusing.

What type of work I'm able to perform on my vehicle is completely inconsequential to the topic at hand. The name of the thread is "Why is it so hard to find a manual transmission on a lot???"

The answer to that question is because most people in America do not know how to drive them, so they do not sell as well. Dealerships are about making sales, so it makes a lot less sense to fill a lot full of cars most people can't drive. They won't sell.

Why you feel the need to try and insult me personally for that makes you sound defensive and butt hurt for some reason. You sound like one of those "Internet tough guy racer" types with the super fragile ego you're talking about.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #104
ratfinkharley

Drives: 15 JKU, 00 S10, 73 Vette, 12 JK
Give it a rest. You are beyond embarrassing yourself.

RotoFab CAI - VMaxx Ported TB - Apex Catch Can - CFD Shifter - Choppers Inc Loaded Dice Shift Knob
ratfinkharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #105
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
The answer to that question is because most people in America do not know how to drive them...
Not actually sure on that. I'd have to see some numbers. I just asked all 8 people in this building and all CAN drive stick. None drove a stick to work today.

It could be that most can't drive stick. But I'd say 90% of all cars sold are automatic. I doubt only 10% can drive stick.

GM discontinued the stick option on most of their trucks, and very few SUV's have a stick option.

The best selling US vehicle is the F-150 Truck. AFAIK, it is no longer offered with a manual.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #106
dwinva

Drives: 13 2SS/RSvert,CRT,dual-mode exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
This subject has been beat to death. There is no wrong choice, you get what suits you and don't worry about what others drive. Does it hurt you in any way? No need to get insulting on either side.

^^^^^
THIS!!!
dwinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #107
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Not actually sure on that. I'd have to see some numbers. I just asked all 8 people in this building and all CAN drive stick. None drove a stick to work today.

It could be that most can't drive stick. But I'd say 90% of all cars sold are automatic. I doubt only 10% can drive stick.

GM discontinued the stick option on most of their trucks, and very few SUV's have a stick option.

The best selling US vehicle is the F-150 Truck. AFAIK, it is no longer offered with a manual.
Depends who you ask.

People who are 40 years old and older can almost all drive manual transmissions because they were standard, hence they refer to sticks as "standards." Their first cars were almost exclusively manuals.

For people 30 and under, automatics were standard and continue into today. Today's modern muscle cars are mostly a young man's game. Sure, there are lots of old school guys that own them, but if you see a Camaro, Mustang or Challenger rolling down the road, it's probably owned by a younger male, right?

The younger guys don't know how and the older guys did it all their lives and don't want to anymore. Hence automatics wildly outsell.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #108
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Minor thing I'm 54, when I started driving in '76 cars were predominately automatics, only knew of very few people with a manual; Beeltes, a few '70's and older muscle/pony cars, and pick-up trucks. Most of the people I knew could not drive a manual. I got a '78 Chevette manual when I graduated and had to order it, when I traded it in '80 on a new one with AC (moving to AZ) I/we could only find one '80 Chevette with AC and a manual in the entire central Indiana area.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #109
ronss

Drives: 2SS CGM/GRND FX/STRIPES/CAI, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscheff3 View Post
This is an incredibly arrogant and misguided statement. Both of my cars have clutches in them because *gasp* I like clutches. It's not a hindrance, it's part of the driving experience for me. That feeling of a perfect downshift into a corner or a wide open throttle upshift from 3-4 is part of the magic of driving. I don't think it makes me special, I'm not a hipster, and it's puzzling to me that you feel like you have the perspective to judge anyone who has any preference other than your own.

If you want an automatic drive an automatic, but don't be a dick to and about everyone who likes something you don't like.

edit: oh and also I just finished watching the Coke 600 and unless I'm mistaken that was 43 professional drivers in one of the most lucrative professional sports leagues in the US driving 600 miles in cars that happen to have plain old manual transmissions with a clutch and everything.
right on!!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #110
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Well, I could see in 5 yrs the elimination of manual trannies. GM has already done it to their trucks. It's just a matter of time. BS because of purists you say? Corporate scum doesn't care about a purist. They care about profit. And profit comes by not only buying, but repairing. A manual tranny if driven properly is more reliable than an auto aside from occasionally changing the clutch.

As for not being American, maybe so. I'm guessing the rest of the world is behind on times? Most of their vehicles are manual. With good reason. Especially in 3rd world countries where ppl can't change cars like underwear as they do here in the states. I agree with the poster who said it was because of the growth in laziness. If I could've gotten a manual tranny in my 2014 Sierra? It wouldntve been a thought. Manual is the better tranny.
+1. Corporate profits rule economically, leaving bland and boring state of affairs that sadly, the sheeple are willing to accept - as they buy boxes on wheels by the millions.

It started with options being put into packages and not orderable separately, it will only end when all cars are a shade of blackish-grey, all transmissions are one speed, single car design is sport-utility-sedan-coupe-truck, all in the name of reduced and optimized costs.

Yuck. Let's hope not. This is one reason why I bought an excessively-powered, bright orange Camaro with a manual trans.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #111
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Getting back on subject....I starting looking for my 2011 in August 2010. I looked for a White, manual 2ss/rs. There were none to be found anywhere in the country....I mean nowhere. White auto's with the orange and black leather was all there was.

I ordered my car...skipping a long story...GM did not accept the order from that dealer.....I found mine in Charlotte in mid September ..3 hours away, and they told me that they had special ordered it also specifically to get a white manual with black interior.
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #112
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Depends who you ask.

People who are 40 years old and older can almost all drive manual transmissions because they were standard, hence they refer to sticks as "standards." Their first cars were almost exclusively manuals.

For people 30 and under, automatics were standard and continue into today. Today's modern muscle cars are mostly a young man's game. Sure, there are lots of old school guys that own them, but if you see a Camaro, Mustang or Challenger rolling down the road, it's probably owned by a younger male, right?

The younger guys don't know how and the older guys did it all their lives and don't want to anymore. Hence automatics wildly outsell.
Thanks for the history lesson but since I am 42 and grew up in the 70's, I really don't remember too many stick-standard cars being driven.my parents always had automatics and so did all the neighbors.. this should really blow your mind, they had automatics in the 50's, can you believe that?