Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #57
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
I installed a catch can at about 700 miles and saw a lot of oil accumulating, like a cans worth in 1200 miles. It also seemed like I was using too much oil for a new car, 1 quart in 1200 miles. I removed the catch can before seeing the dealer as I did not want them to try to use the catch can as an excuse for the excessive oil consumption. They changed the oil and filter and will monitor the level several times during the next 3000 miles. My question is could this have been related? So far, at about 700 miles I have not seen any drop on the dip stick so it's not clear if I have a problem or not. I am tempted to re-install the catch can to see if I still get a lot oil collecting or just a trace.
No, as long as the catch can was properly installed they are not related. The catch can does not pull oil out of circulation. It only collects oil that would is blown by the piston rings and lost anyway. That oil does not/can not make it's way back into circulation. It ends up coating your intake tract.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #58
No Regrets 2014

Drives: 2014 2SS RSFV3F Ordered- TPW5/26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
We definitely appreciate your support Apex Chase. We will continue to do our best.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Reggie, got a question: I just bought a 2014 SS. I also got a GMPP to 75,000 miles. I want to install 2 MODs; CAI and performance Axleback exhaust. The mods themselves won't impact my warranty correct? Unless it's proved that the MODS caused the issue, correct?
No Regrets 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #59
RandyT

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Summit White
Thanks for the help it explained it very well
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #60
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT View Post
Thanks for the help it explained it very well
Glad I could help.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #61
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
While I really like the essence of the protection this Act/Law is supposed to provide, I found out first hand it is esentially left to "dealer interpretation" of what they will and will not cover under warranty on a modified vehicle.
I had a 1998 Chevrolet that had nothing more than a K&N drop in air filter and a magnaflow muffler. Not a cat back or axle back, JUST the muffler.
I was cruising up I-35 from Austin back to Killeen one afternoon and the power just nosed over, started bucking and shuddering at anything over VERY light throttle and was idling roughly.
Got it home, took it to the local Chevy dealer and they told me it was the fuel pump and it had been caused by the added fuel demands of the modified intake and exhaust feeding more air into the engine. SERIOUSLY, I wanted to rip the Service Managers throat out.
I went round and round with the dealer and GM customer Service over the next month and got no where.
I got the funds and parts together to start swapping parts until i found the issue and discovered two things. First, the dealer was full of crap and hadn't even touched my car while they had it. The fault had NOTHING to do with the fuel system.
Ended up being the coil tower had gone bad and had shorted across two of the cylinders, essentially killing off spark to both AND shorting out the coil that fed both cylinders.
Also, with fuel still dumping into 2 cylinders and not being combusted, it dumped into the exhasut where it was burned off by the other cylinders and and melted the entire core of the catalytic converter.
$100 cat con, $45 coil tower, $28 coil later and I was back on the road.
All because the dealer didn't want to honor the warranty that was remaining on the car because I had added a better air filter and a louder muffler.

This was also the same dealer that tried to tell me the shudder under normal braking from warped rotors was just "normal cycling of the ABS pump". I took the Service Manager for a ride so he could feel what i was talking about and I proved him worng when I told him there was no possible way it could be the ABS pump because i had pulled the fuse for it prior to the test ride.

-rant over-

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #62
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiersd View Post
While I really like the essence of the protection this Act/Law is supposed to provide, I found out first hand it is esentially left to "dealer interpretation" of what they will and will not cover under warranty on a modified vehicle.
I had a 1998 Chevrolet that had nothing more than a K&N drop in air filter and a magnaflow muffler. Not a cat back or axle back, JUST the muffler.
I was cruising up I-35 from Austin back to Killeen one afternoon and the power just nosed over, started bucking and shuddering at anything over VERY light throttle and was idling roughly.
Got it home, took it to the local Chevy dealer and they told me it was the fuel pump and it had been caused by the added fuel demands of the modified intake and exhaust feeding more air into the engine. SERIOUSLY, I wanted to rip the Service Managers throat out.
I went round and round with the dealer and GM customer Service over the next month and got no where.
I got the funds and parts together to start swapping parts until i found the issue and discovered two things. First, the dealer was full of crap and hadn't even touched my car while they had it. The fault had NOTHING to do with the fuel system.
Ended up being the coil tower had gone bad and had shorted across two of the cylinders, essentially killing off spark to both AND shorting out the coil that fed both cylinders.
Also, with fuel still dumping into 2 cylinders and not being combusted, it dumped into the exhasut where it was burned off by the other cylinders and and melted the entire core of the catalytic converter.
$100 cat con, $45 coil tower, $28 coil later and I was back on the road.
All because the dealer didn't want to honor the warranty that was remaining on the car because I had added a better air filter and a louder muffler.

This was also the same dealer that tried to tell me the shudder under normal braking from warped rotors was just "normal cycling of the ABS pump". I took the Service Manager for a ride so he could feel what i was talking about and I proved him worng when I told him there was no possible way it could be the ABS pump because i had pulled the fuse for it prior to the test ride.

-rant over-
This is one of those times when you have to decide if it is worth fighting over of just finding another dealership that treats their customers fairly. But the law is the law and you do have recourse.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #63
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
This is truly a great thread and I found it at the right time. I am wanting to do more to my 14 1LE, but am confused on what I can and cannot do. I have CAI with Apex scoop and washer tank relocation. I have Apex catch can. I have Solo HF Cats sitting in a box next to the car. I was planning to order ARH Shorty headers and a ported TB (Bo's or V-Max). Doing bolt on's that hopefully avoid a tune.

I went to my local dealer where I have purchased 4 NEW cars in the last 6 years and inquired about what I could or could not do. The service manager told me that "anything I do that changes the air flow or volume of air going into or out of the engine will affect my warranty". I asked for better definition and he said that any engine or drivetrain failure that could come from air flow change or added power from the mods may not be covered. Kinda took the wind out of my sail! I may go talk to the GM of the dealership. But being Suburban and just one dealership in their huge collection of dealerships, they are all just employees with no stake in things.

I am thinking about talking to a couple other dealers in the area including Maureen at Rogers Chevrolet to get their view. I want to do these mods and if another dealer within an hour of me will work with me, they will get my business. Given I own 7 GM vehicles and 3 of which still have warranty left on them, I could switch all my service work to someone that wants to offer me superior customer support!
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #64
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
This is truly a great thread and I found it at the right time. I am wanting to do more to my 14 1LE, but am confused on what I can and cannot do. I have CAI with Apex scoop and washer tank relocation. I have Apex catch can. I have Solo HF Cats sitting in a box next to the car. I was planning to order ARH Shorty headers and a ported TB (Bo's or V-Max). Doing bolt on's that hopefully avoid a tune.

I went to my local dealer where I have purchased 4 NEW cars in the last 6 years and inquired about what I could or could not do. The service manager told me that "anything I do that changes the air flow or volume of air going into or out of the engine will affect my warranty". I asked for better definition and he said that any engine or drivetrain failure that could come from air flow change or added power from the mods may not be covered. Kinda took the wind out of my sail! I may go talk to the GM of the dealership. But being Suburban and just one dealership in their huge collection of dealerships, they are all just employees with no stake in things.

I am thinking about talking to a couple other dealers in the area including Maureen at Rogers Chevrolet to get their view. I want to do these mods and if another dealer within an hour of me will work with me, they will get my business. Given I own 7 GM vehicles and 3 of which still have warranty left on them, I could switch all my service work to someone that wants to offer me superior customer support!
The increased air flow from bolt on mods is not enough to cause an engine or drivetrain failure. The burden of proof would be on them if they claimed it did.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #65
nickster127
Black 2014 Camaro 1LT RS

Drives: 2014 1LT Black,NPP, RS, Tints
Lawyers will help solve the problems. However, invest in an OBD scanner first. I bought one when i originally had a different car and changed stuff. The dealer said because of my mods they can't replace the parts because it is no longer covered under warranty. (my engine light was on)....so i decided to buy the OBD scanner and find out what code it was throwing and found out the light was for a different part that had nothing to do with my mods. I showed the dealer and they gladly fixed what they needed to for the warranty...

long story short, buying and OBD scanner with show you codes that come up on your dash and you can see if these codes are connected to whatever you modified. This will help ensure you that you might have to replace it yourself or put it back to stock before going to a dealer.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:18 PM   #66
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster127 View Post
Lawyers will help solve the problems. However, invest in an OBD scanner first. I bought one when i originally had a different car and changed stuff. The dealer said because of my mods they can't replace the parts because it is no longer covered under warranty. (my engine light was on)....so i decided to buy the OBD scanner and find out what code it was throwing and found out the light was for a different part that had nothing to do with my mods. I showed the dealer and they gladly fixed what they needed to for the warranty...

long story short, buying and OBD scanner with show you codes that come up on your dash and you can see if these codes are connected to whatever you modified. This will help ensure you that you might have to replace it yourself or put it back to stock before going to a dealer.
Wow. Good for you man.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #67
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
If your dealer won't scan the codes with a simple reader and give you an opinion- even if it's just an educated guess- go somewhere else. Codes mean less than most people think, but at least it can give you an idea what the car is unhappy about from what it can measure.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #68
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
If your dealer won't scan the codes with a simple reader and give you an opinion- even if it's just an educated guess- go somewhere else. Codes mean less than most people think, but at least it can give you an idea what the car is unhappy about from what it can measure.
Yeah, it's pretty lame to pop the hood and say "Oh, there is the problem. It's modified.".
Old 07-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #69
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
Yeah, it's pretty lame to pop the hood and say "Oh, there is the problem. It's modified.".
Anything under the hood that isn't original had better have an Apex logo on it or THAT is the problem.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #70
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
Anything under the hood that isn't original had better have an Apex logo on it or THAT is the problem.
Attached Images

Tags
apex motorsports, warranty