Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #71
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
Now, you're talking mods. Vengeance drove the car hours on street tires, staged, and ran 11.4. Is rather have a car that can do it on street tires. Driving around on DR's all the time sucks. I've done it. The first drop of rain you see, you're ready to go home.
I drove in the rain with DR's with my old daily driver. A little scary, but doable. But that car definitely did not have anywhere near the TQ of the LT4.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:30 PM   #72
USCavVet
Built and Tuned By Hhp

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Robinson1 View Post
What are you.. Camaro6 Staff duty?? Jk
No more pulling 24hr duty for me!
USCavVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:35 PM   #73
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96MrBass View Post
Agree " BUT" I've said it a thousand times now when talking about the hellcat you are not aloud to speak on it's AVERAGE PASSES only 11.2 or less lol. You see because that's what they always run
No, the clutch HC's are slow too.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:42 PM   #74
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
Now, you're talking mods. Vengeance drove the car hours on street tires, staged, and ran 11.4. Is rather have a car that can do it on street tires. Driving around on DR's all the time sucks. I've done it. The first drop of rain you see, you're ready to go home.
Ever heard of a lug wrench and a weather forecast? lol
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #75
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostySS View Post
Ask that bloated one trick pony to make a turn, it's game over. GM has said numerous times this isn't just a 1/4 mile car. It's a 1/4 mile car, it's a fast street car, it's a car that can hang on road courses/tracks. It's the hat trick of performance.

For what it's worth I know 2 people that traded their Hellcat's in because they were constantly at the dealerships for rattles, vibrations, driveshaft and rear differential issues. One bought a C7 ZO6 and the other is waiting on his ZL1 to arrive.
I traded mine in on my Callaway, but I will say give that Hellcat to a good driver and he can show you it will turn. Driver makes all the difference on a road course as I embarrassed a C7Z06 at a track day last year in the cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedX2 View Post
Wondering what they do run..my research says that with a pair of Nitto NT55R rear tires 11.2 is doable..and in dry weather these tires are perfectly fine for street driving?
With the NT555Rs most A8s are hitting 10s I'm pretty sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
Is it worth the $500+ though for the .06-.08 gain over stock in the 1/4? I'm not so sure.

I've run a couple of sets of NT55R's in the past. You're talking about a tire that last 7,000-8,000 miles and don't perform until they are heated up with a nice big burnout before hand. On the street, they perform no better compared to a regular street tire. But when 45* or colder, the NT55R's are actually worse. I personally would just run the stock street tire.
Definitely not worth that small gain. I almost pulled the trigger on a rear wheel/drag radial setup for my car but after reading this TM issue I'm not sure I want them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
No, the clutch HC's are slow too.
Indeed they are, I never ran better than 12 flat in mine with 305 PZeros. Most passes were around 12.5 and when I would put it in 500 hp mode I could almost match the 12.5s repeatedly.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #76
tbrennyZL1

Drives: Corvette Z06
I saw they said they were in track does anyone know what mode inside of that? The ZL1 is the same as the Z06 right, Where inside of track is dry, sport 1, sport 2 and race correct? If so I'd recommend track/race. Race has the least tq management. I've tested all of them in my Z06 and don't have problems getting very good 0-60 and launches with race/track.
tbrennyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #77
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrennyZL1 View Post
I saw they said they were in track does anyone know what mode inside of that? The ZL1 is the same as the Z06 right, Where inside of track is dry, sport 1, sport 2 and race correct? If so I'd recommend track/race. Race has the least tq management. I've tested all of them in my Z06 and don't have problems getting very good 0-60 and launches with race/track.
On your Z06 have you tried Tour for 1/4 mile runs? Lot of the fastest stock runs are in tour. The thought is the softer shock setting allows more weight transfer.

Wonder why GM was so aggressive on the TM on the ZL1? On the Gen5 cars they really marketed the super-heavy duty driveline. I noticed they mentioned nothing about an upgraded driveline on the Gen6. Will be interested to see how it holds up once people tune the TM out.

On tuning I have heard '17 Z06 have some sort of encryption making tuning harder. Does the '17 ZL1 have it too?

11.4 on a stock car. I laugh my arse off at people discounting that. I remember spending crazy money to get into the 13s. 11 second full street cars were very rare. Now you can buy one right off the lot and it can handle too. Amazing times.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #78
Ron_Robinson1

Drives: A Static line to a pack tray & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Ron_Robinson1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
On your Z06 have you tried Tour for 1/4 mile runs? Lot of the fastest stock runs are in tour. The thought is the softer shock setting allows more weight transfer.

Wonder why GM was so aggressive on the TM on the ZL1? On the Gen5 cars they really marketed the super-heavy duty driveline. I noticed they mentioned nothing about an upgraded driveline on the Gen6. Will be interested to see how it holds up once people tune the TM out.

On tuning I have heard '17 Z06 have some sort of encryption making tuning harder. Does the '17 ZL1 have it too?

11.4 on a stock car. I laugh my arse off at people discounting that. I remember spending crazy money to get into the 13s. 11 second full street cars were very rare. Now you can buy one right off the lot and it can handle too. Amazing times.

I don't think people are disappointed at all about the 11.3 stock. It's more in the fact you truly can't disable all the nanies, strap on DRs and make any gains in 1/4 do to the TM.
SOLD-2011 SS M6: Blower, Cam, Alky, LTs.
Ron_Robinson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:58 AM   #79
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostySS View Post
Ask that bloated one trick pony to make a turn, it's game over. GM has said numerous times this isn't just a 1/4 mile car. It's a 1/4 mile car, it's a fast street car, it's a car that can hang on road courses/tracks. It's the hat trick of performance.

For what it's worth I know 2 people that traded their Hellcat's in because they were constantly at the dealerships for rattles, vibrations, driveshaft and rear differential issues. One bought a C7 ZO6 and the other is waiting on his ZL1 to arrive.
Every car rattles and vibrates. My SS, 1LE and ZL1 did so what's the point your trying to make? In anycase no car is perfect so stop making excuses. I guarantee you, I'd embarrass you in my HC around turns, from a roll whatever your little heart desired. It's truly up to the driver. And realistically, most owners don't take their car to a track, let alone a road course. From a roll is where most of the action happens or even at a stop light if you just happen to pull beside another performance vehicle. I had some fun with a P100 from a roll a couple weeks ago. Who do you think won that? It wasn't the P100 which I just knew I'd get my ass handed to me. Hellcat surprised me, and I edged him out 2 out of 3. First one was a tie literally as I didn't downshift to a lower gear before letting it loose.

Point I'm trying to make. Enjoy the car for what it is. It's ultimately a drivers race. At a dead stop I know I'd lose. I can tell you my ZL1 wouldve have gotten walked against a P100 from a roll. The ZL1 just didn't feel powerful at all. Felt solid don't get me wrong but just wasn't powerful enough.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:51 AM   #80
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
Every car rattles and vibrates. My SS, 1LE and ZL1 did so what's the point your trying to make? In anycase no car is perfect so stop making excuses. I guarantee you, I'd embarrass you in my HC around turns, from a roll whatever your little heart desired. It's truly up to the driver. And realistically, most owners don't take their car to a track, let alone a road course. From a roll is where most of the action happens or even at a stop light if you just happen to pull beside another performance vehicle. I had some fun with a P100 from a roll a couple weeks ago. Who do you think won that? It wasn't the P100 which I just knew I'd get my ass handed to me. Hellcat surprised me, and I edged him out 2 out of 3. First one was a tie literally as I didn't downshift to a lower gear before letting it loose.

Point I'm trying to make. Enjoy the car for what it is. It's ultimately a drivers race. At a dead stop I know I'd lose. I can tell you my ZL1 wouldve have gotten walked against a P100 from a roll. The ZL1 just didn't feel powerful at all. Felt solid don't get me wrong but just wasn't powerful enough.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe its just me but I am far more impressed with what this A10 ZL1 can do on factory tires at the strip. I really could care less what the car can do at a track or around the curves its not my cup of tea and not something that is even discussed on the street unless you are in the rice crowd.

Time will prove with this 6th Gen that the focus on this car will be straightline speed in this forum just as it is now with the 5th Gen. Rarely is there conversation about autocross or track duty.

IMO the only problem this ZL1 has is this TM issue which is a big problem forcing you to void your warranty in order to lower 60' times.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:19 AM   #81
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post

Are you talking about a 5th gen ZL1?
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #82
tbrennyZL1

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post

I have heard some people like it in tour. All the best times I've seen say they were in track because it has the least tqm. I really don't understand why it seems the ZL1 and cts-v have a lot more input. I wonder if the ZL1 needs more heat in the tires as well.
tbrennyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:02 PM   #83
NW Sam

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Garnet Red
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonatVengeance View Post
Based on our experience with the A8 I believe it will take some pretty serious abuse. We have built countless C7 Z06s making 750/750 utilizing the stock LT4 supercharger and have not had a single transmission issue. We also have quite a few F1X conversions making 950-1150RWHP on the stock trans. We have seen one failure, but the car was originally modified/tuned by another shop and more than likely had a poor ECM/TCM calibration...

We purchased this ZL1 specifically to gain experience with tuning the new A10 transmission to test it's limitations. The LT4/E92 ECU is several years old and we know what works and what does not. Our goal is to ensure we can provide powerful, yet RELIABLE performance upgrades to clients who own a vehicle that is equipped with this new transmission.
HI Ron,
Thanks for all the information. My A10 is on its way.
I have a couple of transmission questions. What is included in the transmission tuning? Do you also need to do any work on the valve body?
Thanks, Sam.
NW Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:47 AM   #84
Shorty45

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1, M6
I'm glad someone mentioned Tour mode. I was thinking that they are too stiff, sts, and don't have good weight transfer at launch. Was there any mention on what psi Ron used?
That kid that just went 11:1 was at 16pds on Nitto01R, earlier, I think.

sts=so to speak for the civilians here
"That kid"= you know the "world record" holder on the other thread