Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Is tuning for part throttle boost a problems for the LS engines?

Hey folks,

I have been hanging out on lxforums.com forums lately (don't throw anything at me please) and noticed one of the big issues/concerns for the hemi tuners is tuning for part throttle boost situations in closed loop. It seems that the out of the box ECMs don't have a VE Table that scales beyond atmospheric pressure out of the box so during closed loop when boost comes in the system tries to maintain stoich (14.7 AFR) and things start to heat up apparently. Was wondering how part throttle boost is being tuned for the LS engines, in the "limited" reading I have done about tuning the LS3 it looks like the VE table have a lot more resolution and go well beyond atmospheric pressure. Just wondering if the part throttle boost was a concern in the LS world as much as it seems to be in the hemi world.

In any event, I found this thread an interesting read...

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f286/p...lained-208347/

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
We don't have these problems because we have
MAFS
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
We don't have these problems because we have
MAFS
I am assuming then the HEMIs do not and are restricted to using a MAP Sensor and since the default VE Table is only set up to 1.0 (atmospheric pressure) anything over that (part throttle boost) the table commands fuel based on the 1.0 VE Table row which winds up being too little fuel hence the lean part throttle boost condition. Correct me if I am wrong in this assumption.

At the same time, I know some folks do "Speed Density" tuning on forced induction which from what I understand is when the MAF gets disabled either because the tuners wants to disable it or because it has to be disabled since the boost the setup is running exceeds the capacity of the MAF and tuning is done strictly off the MAP Sensor. Are all the HEMIs without MAFs and all tuned "Speed Density"?

Edit: Ok, I think I answered my own question, this thread explains that the HEMIs are Speed Density only: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...ght=maf+sensor

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!

Last edited by robertway; 10-18-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
boostedyards86

Drives: Cummins 3500
hows it going rob? looking at hemi's now?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedyards86 View Post
hows it going rob? looking at hemi's now?
Hey, you gotta do what ya gotta do, as much as the ZL1 is a nice ride or even a slightly used CTS-V they are a little too steep for me at this point, the 2011/2012 Dodge Chargers look like a fun family hauler with a lot of potential down the road. I looked at some 2009 G8 GXPs but they didn't really "speak" to me even though I am more familiar with their platform.

By the way, how is my car, I mean your car treating you:-)

Old 10-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Jon@MagnaCharger

Drives: Anything Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertway View Post
the 2011/2012 Dodge Chargers look like a fun family hauler with a lot of potential down the road
Just a word of warning right now - there is currently no tuning options for the 2011+ Dodge vehicles of any kind. Chrysler has locked the ECU's up tighter than Fort Knox and no one in the entire aftermarket tuning industry has been successful in programming them. If you are looking for one that you will be able to modify right away, makes sure you look at 2010 and older.
Jon@MagnaCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
The Mopar is MAP only and Jon is correct, nothing for the 2011 yet and everyone is pulling their hair out trying to break through.

The 2010 and earlier we can tune but not with HP tuners or EFI live so that is frustrating as well. Have a 2010 maggie build we are having difficulty getting tuned correctly.....
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@MagnaCharger View Post
Just a word of warning right now - there is currently no tuning options for the 2011+ Dodge vehicles of any kind. Chrysler has locked the ECU's up tighter than Fort Knox and no one in the entire aftermarket tuning industry has been successful in programming them. If you are looking for one that you will be able to modify right away, makes sure you look at 2010 and older.
You can lead a horse to water!
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertway View Post
I am assuming then the HEMIs do not and are restricted to using a MAP Sensor and since the default VE Table is only set up to 1.0 (atmospheric pressure) anything over that (part throttle boost) the table commands fuel based on the 1.0 VE Table row which winds up being too little fuel hence the lean part throttle boost condition. Correct me if I am wrong in this assumption.

At the same time, I know some folks do "Speed Density" tuning on forced induction which from what I understand is when the MAF gets disabled either because the tuners wants to disable it or because it has to be disabled since the boost the setup is running exceeds the capacity of the MAF and tuning is done strictly off the MAP Sensor. Are all the HEMIs without MAFs and all tuned "Speed Density"?

Edit: Ok, I think I answered my own question, this thread explains that the HEMIs are Speed Density only: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...ght=maf+sensor
I have tuned Many boosted Hemis so i have first hand experience with this, and it is real.

With Proper tuning it can be avoided but is tricky, The Computer system is totally different they GM and Ford, and the only one I know of that is Speed Density in Newer Cars.

GM and Fords Do not have this problem.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
robertway

I knew the 2011/2012 computers were locked but was kinda optimistic that they would be cracked within a couple of years when the mod bug really started to hit. Who knows, maybe by then I'll have just decided to rip the 5.7 out and drop a 440 Stroker in the bitch and call it a day :-)

OK, no more HEMI talk, this is a Camaro forum, I'll ask for forgiveness now :-D

Old 10-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
leviticus88
Camaro Owner Soon!

Drives: Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC S2 GMPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I have tuned Many boosted Hemis so i have first hand experience with this, and it is real.

With Proper tuning it can be avoided but is tricky, The Computer system is totally different they GM and Ford, and the only one I know of that is Speed Density in Newer Cars.

GM and Fords Do not have this problem.

Ted.
One more reason to avoid Mopar...
leviticus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviticus88 View Post
No Comment
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
robertway

Old 10-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
East Coast Supercharging

Drives: 8 second C5 Drag Car, C6 Road racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviticus88 View Post
I like this guy already..

just an FYI, I tune many Corvettes and Camaro's in closed loop speed density (no MAF) in certain situations. They run perfect and the owner would not be aware of how it was tuned.

Chrysler's are just Chrysler's so they cant help themselves, they are like the Star trek-"trekys" or "Joe Dirts", people of the automotive world.

(ok I'm not a Mopar fan, but if you are I'm just kidding around. Please do not take offensively)

Doug @ ECS
East Coast Supercharging is offline   Reply With Quote