Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
FurySS
Furious Shine

Drives: None
Night Fury Dialed In & Track Tested @ C5Fest!

Some of you may have seen my recent posts about feeling my dyno #'s were lower than expected (compared to what Lethal posts). I was also having some idle/surging issues with the cam , and learned the FAST intake was a waste of money with my setup.

I had a full LS3 Conversion done locally here by Raymonds Performance & Mike Norris Motorsports. Can't say enough good about these guys - they treat the car like it is their own (and do excellent work)! This was the first Night Fury cam that had come into their shop. Mike got the tune pretty good but I was having some idle issues, as well as surging while cruising at 1200-1500rpm. So I contacted Shawn from Lethal and he was good enough to talk with Mike for me. Mike made some additional adjustments (solved the surging issue). Although the idle was better - I still had times where at a stop it would drop below 500 and then shoot up to 1000. Since Lethal was coming up for the Fest, Mike recommended I have Shawn look at the tune since it was their cam (and perhaps they had some special tweaks). Mikes goal all along was for me to be 100% happy with it, and it perform the best it can.

So when Lethal Racing got into Indy my wife & I met Shawn, Nick & their families for lunch. We had a great time and made some new friends - they are an awesome group! We hope we were able to make them feel welcome in Indy! Friday I left my car with Shawn in the am and he made some tweaks and then we went out driving while he did some data logging. His adjustments seem to have resolved any issues I was having. The car was pulling insanely strong!

So for my 1st time ever on the dragstrip I ran 12.409 (.17 R/T) with T/C on & street tires (and some tire spin). So I tried for a 2nd time - this time all the nannies off. That did not go so well - even launching below 2k I could not hook up. So I look forward to hitting the track again to see how I can improve! Wish I would have gotten to see their cars on the track - they sounded AWESOME

I may have the car re-dyno’d at some point, but I feel pretty confident if I put the car on Lethals dyno it would be consistent with what they see. I guess what is really important is what you see at the track – and I was certainly pleased with that!

Mods: LS3 Conversion; Night Fury Cam; Stage 1 Ported/Polished/Milled Heads; BTR Springs & Pushrods, Trunion Upgrade; 25% UD Pulley; Lethal Racing Ported Intake Manifold; MTI Racing Wires, Vigilante 3200 Stall; Trans Cooler; V-Max TB; CAI Intake & Race Scoop; Kooks Coated Stepped Headers & Cats; Flowmaster American Thunder Catback Exhaust.

Drag Video

Idle Video
Attached Images

FurySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
I saw those runs and I saw Shawn taking you for a "ride"! Congrats!

I have some plans and I might just trailer my 4th gen for a tune before Camaro5 fest!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
I hit the same numbers due to not hooking it was insane how bad it was lol
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
FurySS
Furious Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
I saw those runs and I saw Shawn taking you for a "ride"! Congrats!

I have some plans and I might just trailer my 4th gen for a tune before Camaro5 fest!
Thanks - yeah the "ride" consisted of me holding his laptop while he tried to hit 120 in a 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare2012 View Post
I hit the same numbers due to not hooking it was insane how bad it was lol
Yep, that's pretty close to what I did. Did you have T/C & Stabilitrak on or off?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Amazing car man. I watched you run down the track a few times, car sounded awesome.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Indy Pace View Post
Thanks - yeah the "ride" consisted of me holding his laptop while he tried to hit 120 in a 45

Yep, that's pretty close to what I did. Did you have T/C & Stabilitrak on or off?
all nannies off with a decent burnout but on stupid nt555 street tires
Old 08-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
Amazing car man. I watched you run down the track a few times, car sounded awesome.
Where were you? Did you party in the parking lot? Come on man! We could of hooked up! I had the "im here for the Stang bang" shirt!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Quote:
Where were you? Did you party in the parking lot? Come on man! We could of hooked up! I had the "im here for the Stang bang" shirt!
Hey besides the drinking and partying did you run paisa?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
FurySS
Furious Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
Thanks! I have not heard too many NF cams with the American Thunder. I left it in the Lethal booth as much as I could so they could start it if people wanted to hear the cam. Mine sounds subdued compare to Shawn & Nicks cars lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare2012 View Post
all nannies off with a decent burnout but on stupid nt555 street tires
Try leaving them on, that is what Shawn recommended for me (for street tires). The 2nd time with them off left me a nice mess to clean up on the fenders + 2000 miles worth of tread in my wheel wells (will have blue tape next time) ! I really thought it would hook up better on the track being so sticky. I know with the stall it takes a lot of practice to find the sweet spot. I see myself ending up with drag radials and then probably new axles
Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Quote:
Thanks! I have not heard too many NF cams with the American Thunder. I left it in the Lethal booth as much as I could so they could start it if people wanted to hear the cam. Mine sounds subdued compare to Shawn & Nicks cars lol!

Try leaving them on, that is what Shawn recommended for me (for street tires). The 2nd time with them off left me a nice mess to clean up on the fenders + 2000 miles worth of tread in my wheel wells (will have blue tape next time) ! I really thought it would hook up better on the track being so sticky. I know with the stall it takes a lot of practice to find the sweet spot. I see myself ending up with drag radials and then probably new axles
Same here drag radials on an 18 inch rim with 3.91s and a 3500 stall should be for a hell of a ride and new axles haha
Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
LS3 SS

Quote:
I was incognito I guess you could say, and now I regret it. This was my first fest, and I rolled up to Indy with some buddies that I really had just met (was added as a member to their club the same weekend) so I really didn't know anyone. I didn't want to be that guy stalking Camaro5 members in the parking lot saying "Hey, my name is LS3 SS, you can call me Chris"...lmao.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
LS3 SS

Quote:
Dude, I think the Lethal car rolled through the hotel parking lot one night, and literally everyone stopped in the middle of their conversation to listen to it!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

I think i wouldve been that guy saying "Hey name is nightmare2012 but you can call me ozzy who are you" lol
Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
[QUOTE=2010 Indy Pace;6866650]Thanks - yeah the "ride" consisted of me holding his laptop while he tried to hit 120 in a 45

Lol! Yeah I took one of those rides also. Holding his laptop doing 100 in a 30!
Glad to hear you have your car running better! Shawn is an LS Guru!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lethal racing