Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 09-21-2018, 11:15 PM   #15
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
You should put caliper temp stickers like from Alcon and compare stock vs. the ST43's. You'll see a lot higher peak temp there (and in the fluid) with the ST43's that what you saw with a laser pyrometer I assume for your cooldown data? If your caliper temps are 500F after cooldown, they were very toasty under load.

Not saying this is gospel, but, per Alcon's info for reference: 166C is 331F. As FYI, 500F is 260C, so, even the cooldown temp was very high.

TEMPERATURE STICKER RANGE
0~121 °C – Safe temperature (not recording on the sticker)

121~166 °C – Ideal Temperature for Track Use. We recommend effective brake cooling using natural air directed at the caliper and pads to maintain this temperature range.

188~232 °C – Calipers are running on the hot side. Seal life will be shortened. Calipers should be inspected for leakage after every event.

232~280 °C – Calipers are running too hot. Seals must be overhauled immediately and calipers should be inspected for leakage after every event. A detailed inspection or diagnosis must be performed as to why the brake system has overheated.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #16
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Autobahn is very hard on brakes as most of the straights end with a 90 degree or more turn. Also do you have your nannies on? The nannies are very intrusive until you select race on the PTM and will kick in a lot and boil your brakes. I've also ran your Raybestos pad and I can tell you with confidence it's not the car it's the driver. You are doing something to either set the nannies off and make it brake or you are simply using way too much brake.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #17
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post
Tires are OEM Goodyear Supercar3
HP = Stock
Fluid = Motul RBF600
Pads = Raybestos ST-43

I upgraded the fluid and pads... thought those 2 things sorta go together.
I've already been down your path. The problem is you inadvertently removed the thermal isolation plate between the pads and pistons, thus transferring more heat into the caliper than the stock pads equipped with such plates.

If you want to keep using the ST-43's, buy a set of titanium shims.

Apart from that, I'll also echo others comments that you're on the brakes too much. Chances are your corner entry speeds have significant room for improvement.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:16 AM   #18
SSAllTheThings

Drives: SS
What drive mode were you in?
SSAllTheThings is offline   Reply With Quote