Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
Paint Color Availability

From Corvetteblogger.com:

Well, it looks like you can write off Cyber Gray, Crystal Red and Jetstream Blue as colors available for the 2011 Corvette. Jetstream Blue was already being phased out of this year’s remaining 2011 production, but the earthquake and resulting tsunami in Japan has affected several other colors that have automakers scrambling. And now we are hearing that customers with existing Corvette orders in the system are being asked to choose new colors.

The decreased color choices for Corvette (as well as other makes/models) is the result of damage to a plant in the Japanese town of Onahama that makes a shiny pigment called Xirallic. The pigment is used in metallic paints due to its shimmering appearance. The coastal town took damage in the earthquake and tsunami and as its only 35 miles away from the stricken Fukashima nuclear power plant, high levels of radiation are all but insuring that the shortage could last for some time.

The Wall Street Journal noted the affects on the automobile industry and provided the following:

A car paint shortage in Japan is causing new problems for the auto industry. A type of shiny pigment widely used in car manufacturing is only produced at a single plant in Japan.

The pigment is called Xirallic and is only produced at an Onahama plant owned by Merck KGaA, a German chemical company. Onahama is a town on the Japanese coast where citizens are still struggling to recover from the devastating earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan earlier this month. In the wake of the tsunami, the town has been exposed to the radiation leaking from the Fukashima nuclear reactor.

Many major auto makers, such as Ford Motor Co., Chrysler Group LLC, Volkswagen AG, BMW AG, Toyota Motor Corp. and General Motors Co., employ Xirallic to give their metallic paints a sparkling appearance. The troubles in Onahama have forced them into a desperate search to find some other type of paint they can use. Last week Chrysler told dealers that the company plants to limit orders for vehicles in 10 different colors that employ Xirallic pigment. Ford had already told dealers it could no longer take orders for F-150 trucks and other models using “tuxedo black” and three shades of red.

Several Corvette dealers have confirmed that some cars that were ordered in Cyber Gray and Crystal Red Metallic have been kicked back with the request to choose a different color. That’s bad news as both Cyber Gray and Crystal Red Metallic are two of the most requested
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
dun dun dun! Why is it that so many manufacturers all buy metallic pigment from one plant? It must be patented.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
jgr
ironhead

Drives: 2004 silverado diesel 2010ss
All American?
jgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Kurushio

Drives: 2011 CGM 1LT RS (M6)
I guess thats kinda good for me then lol. Ive been starting to see a few too many CGM's around all of a sudden.
Kurushio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgr View Post
All American?
In a global economy like we have today it is foolish to expect that 100% of the parts for something as large and complex as a car would come from the USA. Heck the cars are built in Canada afterall.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
In a global economy like we have today it is foolish to expect that 100% of the parts for something as large and complex as a car would come from the USA. Heck the cars are built in Canada afterall.
I agree. When I got my 2011 I found out that my engine was made in Mexico, the A6 in France, and when I took out the OEM side markers they were made in China.

To have a single source vendor for something that every auto manufacturer uses for paint is just bad business IMHO.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote