Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #57
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Does anyone have the video they took when Al O. was doing the unveiling? It would answer sooo many of these questions.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #58
Infantryman11C
High Angle Hell

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
For those worried about "voiding" your warranty by adding aftermarket parts. Google "Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975". Dealers tell you that aftermarket parts void the warranty because they want you to spend $3000 on a performance package from the dealership that you could get for $1500 by shopping aftermarket. Unless they can prove with a doubt that your aftermarket part led to mechanical failure of said vehicle then they have to honor your warranty.

Brothers don't always have the same mother
Always remembered, Never forgotten
Infantryman11C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #59
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
GM performance parts are usually overpriced, I would be interested in the exhaust manifolds but I can't see that the gains would justify the cost on them since they are in essence "shorty" headers with probably a smaller inner diameter in the tubes for longetivity, but if they were smart they would make them between $400-500 bucks to recoup the R&D costs on them as an OEM retrofit and sell a bunch of them.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #60
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Exactly! They are both inferior to the aftermarket components and they'll cost more too. GM Factory components=$$$
Less peak HP doesn't mean inferior. You probably haven't seen someone blow their motor on the track before. The car I saw do that wasn't heavily modded but it certainly wasn't stock. I'll agree that the parts will be pricey but no one knows our cars better than the people that designed and built them. This announcement has me excited about modding again.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #61
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I don't believe the reasoning that article cites. There's several z/28 parts I'd like for my '12 1SS.

But when they report that restricting parts is to prevent clones so as to "protect their customer's investments", that's nothing but bullshit in my opinion.

Let's say that a guy with a 2014 Camaro SS makes a "perfect" z/28 out of his SS. His 8th VIN position will not read "E". It will read "J" or "W": that SS didn't come with an LS7 from the factory and the VIN will report that. Selling that clone as a z/28 is fraud. Falsifying or changing the VIN is also fraud. Somebody will tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. OK, fine. Selling a clone '69 z/28 as a real z/28 is fraud too. Purposeful misrepresentation for unlawful gain. Either would have to be sold as a clone, using it's actual model designation, not the cloned designation. So protecting the customer's investment? I don't think so.

What GM is doing is just reinforcing exclusivity- keeping demand high and generating comment among it's target audience, while protecting GM's investment by stopping people from buying a used SS and making a low-buck z/28 for themselves. It's not altruism by GM, it's simply looking out for #1. That's a sound business move but I don't beleive it's for the customers' benefit for a millisecond.

A large amount of the performance components are going to be available but no one could build a Z/28 clone for cheaper than you can get it from GM, even if no parts were restricted and you did all the work yourself.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #62
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
why bother with the big heavy CAI when the aftermarket has it down pat?.. and the manifolds still looked way more restrictive than a true header setup. I saw them in person I seriously doubt they will make any power vs a real long tube setup.
That's easy. Covered by warranty.

Not too big of an issue with the intake, but a huge issue with the headers. And it should provide a modest HP bump as well. Some people like their warranty. :P

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #63
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
I dont get why they are only 2012 and up compatible, what did the 2010-11 had different?
Probably because of different airbag components and the passenger side bracket being different.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #64
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
A thought crossed my mind the nite they unveiled the Z/28 parts. A suspension upgraded SS is called a 1LE. What is the upgraded 1LE called? 2LE, Z/27 My mind wanders into places where it gets real weird!!! lol!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #65
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantryman11C View Post
For those worried about "voiding" your warranty by adding aftermarket parts. Google "Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975". Dealers tell you that aftermarket parts void the warranty because they want you to spend $3000 on a performance package from the dealership that you could get for $1500 by shopping aftermarket. Unless they can prove with a doubt that your aftermarket part led to mechanical failure of said vehicle then they have to honor your warranty.
Somewhat incorrect. If you tune your engine after you add headers and a piston cracks. You're SOL. You AREN'T getting scrap. Cry to a lawyer all you want and claim Magnuson-Moss all day. You'll lose. Don't try to tell people they'll be covered. They'll be in for a rude awakening when they realize they aren't. Now yes. If your mirror stops working after you tuned your motor or your steering pump went out after you changed speakers that's obviously still covered by warranty. If you add a cold air intake and don't tune the motor and it blows? Yes, that is going to be covered by warranty, unless somehow a piece randomly broke off and went into the engine and caused an issue (not going to happen but just an example). If you tune the motor and it breaks after headers/supercharger? You're done. No warranty. The end.

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #66
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Inferior? heu... in what way? Do you know something we don't?
They are manifolds, not true headers, thus still restricting exhaust flow. The CAI has a ribbed tube instead of a smooth bore piping, thus creating turbulence and loss of power. Aftermarket parts will be cheaper and create more power. These are GM parts, they will bring a premium price and still be inferior (meaning producing less power). Buy what you want, I'm just stating the obvious.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #67
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post
Somewhat incorrect. If you tune your engine after you add headers and a piston cracks. You're SOL. You AREN'T getting scrap. Cry to a lawyer all you want and claim Magnuson-Moss all day. You'll lose. Don't try to tell people they'll be covered. They'll be in for a rude awakening when they realize they aren't. Now yes. If your mirror stops working after you tuned your motor or your steering pump went out after you changed speakers that's obviously still covered by warranty. If you add a cold air intake and don't tune the motor and it blows? Yes, that is going to be covered by warranty, unless somehow a piece randomly broke off and went into the engine and caused an issue (not going to happen but just an example). If you tune the motor and it breaks after headers/supercharger? You're done. No warranty. The end.

Yes, Agree and yes........The only thing I will add is that even if you want to try and fight it in court GM has deeper pockets and it would cost you less just to man up and pay to play.

Quote:
I dont get why they are only 2012 and up compatible, what did the 2010-11 had different?
SRS parameters have been changed. It is the same time the ZL1 came out with the wider and sticker tires followed by the 1LE

Matt
Old 05-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #68
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Any aftermarket part that allows the car to operate out of the validated performance parameters can cause warranty denial. Anything that adds power can void powertrain pretty easy since the whole power train was only warrantied to take the factory power levels. Now if your stereo goes out that is where Moss act comes in, they can't deny your stereo for putting on a cold air, but if you motor blows, rear end, axle, etc that is easy for them to say you bumped the power/etc.

Glad to see the z28 parts being offered. Price will probably prevent most from being popular.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #69
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
glad i decided to go with with a 2014 now i can get those seats! to everyone that has a 2010-11 i heard on a thread some where that gm is also suppose to market an adapter kit for the recaros. while idk how true this is im sure an aftermarket company will find a way!
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #70
Infantryman11C
High Angle Hell

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post
Obviously if you tune the engine your not adding aftermarket parts. so yes you are correct however if I add an aftermarket exhaust and I crack a head they cannot say that the warranty is voided due to the exhaust. It had nothing to do with the failure.

Brothers don't always have the same mother
Always remembered, Never forgotten
Infantryman11C is offline   Reply With Quote