Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you try to take a modified car back to stock for the warranty?
No. I made the choice to mod it and knew the consequences of my actions. 23 65.71%
Yes. Why should I pay for something if I can get someone else to foot the bill?! 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Mods and Warranty Claims

As I have stated in other threads previously, one of my biggest pet-peeves is people who go out and modify their cars and then, when something breaks/goes bad as a result of the changes, they put their vehicle "back to stock" and then take it in to have it repaired under warranty.

Am I in the minority in feeling this way? If you are one of those people, what is your justification for doing this?
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
It kind of depends. If it is something like a tune, then I see no reason why dealerships throw such a fit. However, if it is something along the lines of internal engine work or throwing on some FI, then that is the situation where you gotta pay to play.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
It would really depend.

Say if I owned a 03 Cobra or GT500. If I changed the pulley to add say 2-6 lbs of boost I would definitely change back to the stock pulley to go to the dealer. As that level of boost should not have caused a problem on the car.

Now if I added a 4.0L whipple/kb and was trying to run 20+ lbs of boost and something happened I would suck it up.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
if the mod is the direct blame for the problems than no...but too many dealers try to get out of warr work for ANY mods..even if there is NO WAY that they can be blamed for the fault...
Capthowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
Dealer: well that catch can is your problem.....that caused it alll.....
Capthowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
bpmurr
The Enemy ;)

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Send a message via AIM to bpmurr
I don't have a problem when they can prove the mod caused the problem. I do have a problem when diagnosis comes from some pictures (these same pictues are looked upon differently by non Ford techs) and a post about taking the car for a few passes at the track. Not actually hooking the unit up to machinery for analysis.

I'm glad I could give you a new topic to start.
2015 GT PP
2014 GT500 SVTPP/Track Pack
2013 Boss 302
2011 GT500 SVTPP
2010 GT500
2005 GT
bpmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #7

Drives: 2011 5.0L GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
if the mod is the direct blame for the problems than no...but too many dealers try to get out of warr work for ANY mods..even if there is NO WAY that they can be blamed for the fault...

28 " Buy a hybrid, I need your gas.."
28. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
Actually, if you look at other posts I've made on this and other boards in the past, long before your experience(s), you will understand that I've been meaning to make a thread on this particular topic for awhile. That being said, your tirade today reminded me that I still had not done so.

Like I said in the other thread, I do understand your frustration and general feeling of disatisfaction with the whole affair. I think you have case for getting it repaired under warranty, but sometimes you have to pick your battles. Electing to pursue a lawsuit over your issue would end up costing you a heck of a lot more than the cost of simply going ahead and making repairs on your own dime. Besides, even if you eneded up getting Ford to agree to a warranty claim, you are going to end up with the same factory clutch in the car. I would go ahead and get something much better from the aftermarket, but that's just me.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
bpmurr
The Enemy ;)

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Send a message via AIM to bpmurr
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Actually, if you look at other posts I've made on this and other boards in the past, long before your experience(s), you will understand that I've been meaning to make a thread on this particular topic for awhile. That being said, your tirade today reminded me that I still had not done so.

Like I said in the other thread, I do understand your frustration and general feeling of disatisfaction with the whole affair. I think you have case for getting it repaired under warranty, but sometimes you have to pick your battles. Electing to pursue a lawsuit over your issue would end up costing you a heck of a lot more than the cost of simply going ahead and making repairs on your own dime. Besides, even if you eneded up getting Ford to agree to a warranty claim, you are going to end up with the same factory clutch in the car. I would go ahead and get something much better from the aftermarket, but that's just me.
I'm not suing them, where did you get that idea? I'm just selling the car and moving on.
2015 GT PP
2014 GT500 SVTPP/Track Pack
2013 Boss 302
2011 GT500 SVTPP
2010 GT500
2005 GT
bpmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #10
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
I'm not suing them, where did you get that idea? I'm just selling the car and moving on.
ill take it for $20

i would just pay special attention to which dealerships are mod friendly. The Porsche dealer my dad goes to did warranty work on the engine even though he had a new intake and full exhaust.
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #11
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
I don't have a problem when they can prove the mod caused the problem. I do have a problem when diagnosis comes from some pictures (these same pictues are looked upon differently by non Ford techs) and a post about taking the car for a few passes at the track. Not actually hooking the unit up to machinery for analysis.

sorry but your the epitomy of profit when it comes to any car company.

if you would have read your warranty agreement, you'd realize its a jarble of legal that comes down to this:

-if a part is modified, you loose all relational warranty if the parts physical/electronic interface is directly related to the failure/issue of the function of another part.

so, you put engine mods in; you loose just about everything to the back wheels. you put a tune in, you loose the whole powertrain.

if you were to put in a replacement shifter knob; and your rear end went out, (though while connected technically) dont interface electronically or physically in a direct sense.

doesn't matter who tells you what, in the end you signed an agreement willingly adhearing to the terms of it. you violate those willingly? why on earth would anyone not enforce the terms? hell, i've got a few forms for you to sign and i promise you'll make lots of money by doing so...

p.s. while they might have said they found your chit chat about doing pulls down a track; i could do the same and they can't say a word about it cause my shelby is still stock.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
diddiyo

Drives: .
a friend of mine has a highly modded car and blew his engine a month ago. called up his buddies, two days later the car was back to stock and towed to the dealer. two weeks later, woops, brand new engine under warranty.

why would you NOT go back to stock?!
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
a friend of mine has a highly modded car and blew his engine a month ago. called up his buddies, two days later the car was back to stock and towed to the dealer. two weeks later, woops, brand new engine under warranty.

Personally I think he should have bellied up and took it like a man, but no to me a crook is a crook.

That to me is so wrong in so many ways, If I put a cold air kit on my car, then something goes wrong, (that was cause by the install) then I pay for it.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post

a friend of mine went to the local movie theater with a gun and stole all the money from the cashiers. he walked away with 6,000 dollars.

Why dont we all go and steal money from other people ?!?!?!???!!!!?!?
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote