Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #57
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
Chrysler Crossfire?
Doesn't the hardtop have a backseat?

I would argue that the turbo Sky & Soldtice might have four bangers but they still make v6 power.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #58
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Rear seat in the Camaro appears fine for anyone 5'8" or shorter, which is a majority of the population...The torque of the V8 will more than make up for the weight difference...The 5th gen was made to go round corners, so don't expect to catch it there.

When both cars are on the track competing, the datsun will be competing with the V6 Camaro, some of you are expecting the datsun to be much more than it has historically been, from 60mph + it'll just be getting in the way of the faster Camaro.

Keep your datsun in the far right lane please, faster car comin' thru.

edit: It does look like a catfish

As long as we're making rediculous comparo's, I wonder if this 5th gen can run 8's

Now i have tried very hard not compare the Z to the Camaro because ..

Scott said its impossible to compare the two (when talking about weight)

and since im one for fairness i took that as, "its impossible to compare the two"

but because its being compared, ill entertain conversation. Your nuts. the Camaro is going to be a great handling car, but it still lap's slower than the Cobalt SS, which was beat by the 350. Now the 370 is going to be much more of a track car than the 350, so by using basic logic, the SS wont match up to a 370 on a track.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #59
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally

Don't care for the 370z at all. I don't like bubble cars and the 370 looks like a bubble car that a fat chick sat on the back end of it.

Motorwise -- it may be a pumped up V6 but it is still missing 2 too many jugs to be on my hit list.

Above and beyond all that, those cars are produced by a foreign-based company. I fought in 2 wars to defend the interests of this country. There is a conscious decision in every purchase that I make as to not sell out America’s economy to foreign countries.
FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #60
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
I guess the question is now; why didn't you?
Price, really. My stang was used, so it was cheap. Couldn't find any used Z's in the area.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #61
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Now that's just stupid. Now really......... how long ago was that????? Time to move on....
Not long enough. I won't go into a political/historical discussion here, but forgetting history has created a lot of problems that we face now. Get back to me with a PM if you want to hear more of what I think.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #62
GamerGuyZ28
5TH GEN BURNOUTS!

Drives: 95 Z28, and a 2000 Z28
This car is FUGLY!!!

This is the ugliest rear end on any "performance" car out there, it's squished and doesn't even look remotely fast. (keep in mind i realize the car is fast) but in my opinion a car has to loom the part too, and the Camaro certainly looks the part in every way. The Z cars have always looked like s**t to me, however the front end is a huge improvement on this car and the interior is nice, but the a** end ruined it for me. Not to mention I don't buy foreign cars i agree to remember Pearl Harbor, if you forget the past it repeats itself, this much has already been proven.
Attached Images

GamerGuyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #63
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Two words:

Pearl Harbor.
2 A-Bombs > Pearl Harbor. Anyways, I bet somewhere in your house you own something made in Japan, especially in the tech department.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #64
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Not long enough. I won't go into a political/historical discussion here, but forgetting history has created a lot of problems that we face now. Get back to me with a PM if you want to hear more of what I think.
Well its impossible to escape the reality that we live in a global economy. Meaning we're inextricably linkied. So taking this disposition of isolationist mentality is not only unrealistic but detrimental to multiculturalism and an appreciation for the variety this world has to offer in so many aspects including consumer choice in what the global automotive industry has to offer.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #65
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
Now i have tried very hard not compare the Z to the Camaro because ..

Scott said its impossible to compare the two (when talking about weight)

and since im one for fairness i took that as, "its impossible to compare the two"

but because its being compared, ill entertain conversation. Your nuts. the Camaro is going to be a great handling car, but it still lap's slower than the Cobalt SS, which was beat by the 350. Now the 370 is going to be much more of a track car than the 350, so by using basic logic, the SS wont match up to a 370 on a track.
Camaro lapped quicker than a Cobalt and it wasn't official....

The SS, imo, will match up to the 370z on a track, and it's got plenty more grunt to pull ahead, as well...but frankly, this is all peanuts until either car is released.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #66
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
As long as we're making rediculous comparo's, I wonder if this 5th gen can run 8's
Fail. SW's 8.4 car was a factory unibody, factory geometry IRS car the weighed in, for that pass, at 3100 lbs. Yeah, that's such a ridiculous response to someone who said "Supras: all the horsepower in the world and they're still only 12second cars... lol."

That car, with street tires and the coilovers adjusted, can be driven on the street about as well as a big cam LSx car, if not more so.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:36 PM   #67
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Camaro lapped quicker than a Cobalt and it wasn't official....

The SS, imo, will match up to the 370z on a track, and it's got plenty more grunt to pull ahead, as well...but frankly, this is all peanuts until either car is released.
yes good catch, just rechecked that and your right, the Camaro did beat the Cobalt. BUT not by enough to inspire confidence in its chances against the 370z imo.

but this is all armchair racing till the cars hit the tracks.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #68
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I haven't paid attention to the 'catfish' car since it was a datsun, I was going to guess it could possibly run deeper into the corners than the Camaro, but with that weight distribution, and not enough torque to throw the tail out, it's gonna push (understeer). So, fastest straight line, 'Maro, best cornering, probably alot closer than you think, call it a tie for now, fastest out of the corner, 'Maro....And what's with that high price?

Ok, I'm pickin at you datsun guys just a bit, I'm sure it's a fine car...As long as you don't go revving on SS Camaro's you should be more than happy with your purchase.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #69
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
As long as you don't go revving on SS Camaro's you should be more than happy with your purchase.
O believe me, if I get one I'm DEFINITELY giving that idea a shot.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #70
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I really can't believe people are claiming Pearl Harbor as a reason not to buy Japanese cars.

Hirohito was despised by his people. The Japanese actually called for his head after WWII; not for losing the war, but for war crimes such as fire-bombing his own soil and forcing the country to enter a war that very few of the Japanese wanted to fight. The Japanese were actually very supportive of the Americans that came and restructured the country. The people that run the country today are the sons and daughters of those who wanted nothing to do with the war.

Yes, the lessons of the past are important. Let's just make sure that we know what the past actually was.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote