Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
rednecks70
 
Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, '70 Chevelle 454
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Willow Grove, PA
Posts: 35
Finally got a ZL1!!

Well, after a lot of consideration I pulled the trigger on a 2013 Ashen Gray Metallic ZL1 with 28,000 miles and a 6 speed. I've owned other performance cars in past but none of them even come close to this car, I couldn't be happier with it. Had it shipped from 1,000 miles away and got to drive it today for the first time, I can't get the smile off my face!

I do have a few questions:
1) Can the hill assist be deactivated? It's annoying.
2) How can I tell if the pulleys are stock? It feels faster than a 2014 ZL1 I test drove that was totally stock. My car does have a cold air intake and oil separator, plus the exhaust sound louder. The dealership I paid to inspect it before I bought it claims the exhaust is stock but it's getting inspected in my state on Friday and I will ask them to double check.
3) Can I use plastic restorer on the front chin splitter? It feels like plastic and looks a little dull.
4) Can anyone suggest a good car cover? I only have a one car garage and have classic car insurance on my Chevelle that mandates it be in the garage. I may have to find someone to garage the ZL1 for me over the winter months.

Here is a pic, it was overcast so not that great of a pic. When the sun decides to come out I will get a better one.

Thanks!
Attached Images
 
rednecks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
Ds98formula
 
Ds98formula's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M6 ZL1, 2012 silverado
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37
Nice car. Congrats.
You can measure the pulley. Top pulley should be 2.95 and bottoms should be 7.8 not counting the guard.
__________________
2015 M6 ZL1 Bright Yellow: Kooks headers with high flow cats, Cold Aid Inductions intake, Borla Atak cat back, tuned by Speed Inc 567whp 540wtq
Ds98formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me
 
StreetRage320's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray A6
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southwest, MN
Posts: 618
Above pulley info is accurate a lot of people also pulled the f8 fuse to leave the flaps open making the exhaust louder. It may be a factory exhaust and simply just missing that fuse?
__________________
StreetRage320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me
 
StreetRage320's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray A6
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southwest, MN
Posts: 618
Oh and by the way 2013 r faster than 2014 it's not some sort of illusion lol
__________________
StreetRage320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
rednecks70
 
Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, '70 Chevelle 454
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Willow Grove, PA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
Oh and by the way 2013 r faster than 2014 it's not some sort of illusion lol
It must be the cool looking tail lights that make the 2013 faster
I limited my search to 2012 and 2013 because of the tail lights. Plus their also a little less expensive.

Thanks to both of you on the pulleys. I will get the tape measure out in the near future.

Where can I find the f8 fuse?
rednecks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #6
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1
 
RobZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: ATL
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecks70 View Post
It must be the cool looking tail lights that make the 2013 faster
I limited my search to 2012 and 2013 because of the tail lights. Plus their also a little less expensive.

Thanks to both of you on the pulleys. I will get the tape measure out in the near future.

Where can I find the f8 fuse?
Congrats!! You're going to love it. Best car I've ever owned.

The fuse is in the trunk, on the right hand side. Here's a post that has a photo of where it is located:
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226858
__________________
2014 Red Hot #1503 | TBD SAE | RotoFab | 28% OD | GP Tuning 2.5 Cam | 2" TSP LT's | JMS BAP | ID850 | TR7IX | MSD Wires | APEX Catch Can | Metco Breather | Monster LT1-S Triple | C&R HEX | RotoFab Res | Racing Brake Rotors | Self-Tuned w/ HPT
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:13 AM   #7
GONMAD510
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: CA Bay Area
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecks70 View Post
It must be the cool looking tail lights that make the 2013 faster
I limited my search to 2012 and 2013 because of the tail lights. Plus their also a little less expensive.

Thanks to both of you on the pulleys. I will get the tape measure out in the near future.

Where can I find the f8 fuse?
The main reason I bought my 2013 was for the tail lights.
__________________
Fast 850cc Injectors, ATI Balancer, 8.66 Lower Pulley, 2.55 Upper Pulley, Lingenfelter CAI, Kooks LT with cat delete pipes, Noweeds Exhaust Cutouts (extremely loud under full throttle), BTR Stage 3 Cam, BTR Platinum 660 Valve Spring Kit, TR7ix Iridium Spark Plugs, Lingenfelter Solid Isolator, 160 Degree Thermostat, Larger SC Coolant Reservoir with Hose Relocation Kit, BMR 1.25" Lowering Springs, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Racing Brake 2 piece rotors front and rear, Starkweather Performance Custom Dyno Tune on 91 Octane.

691.38 RWHP
630.35 RWTQ
GONMAD510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #8
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.
 
Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Calgary Area, Alberta
Posts: 134
Hi John. Looks like there are several of us that have gone to the ZL1. Glad you kept your Chevelle. I sold mine.

See you over on Chevelles.com as well

Here's my 2015. Took the black ZL1 wheels/tires off for now as I am planning a few long mile trips. Put the SS wheels on with new tires for the trip.
Attached Images
 
__________________

Levon H. Bone Stock
LevonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
lbls1


 
lbls1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 3,648
You will be very happy with it. Congrats.
__________________
'02 CAMARO SS SOM; 5.7L LS1/FLS6B
'08 TBSS AWD Black Granite Metallic
'15 Malibu LTZ 2LZ Turbo

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #10
DrkPhx

 
DrkPhx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 2,230
Welcome.

1) Can the hill assist be deactivated? It's annoying.
- There is no switch to turn it on or off. It would require some modification to remove. There was a thread here a few years back that detailed the process.

2) How can I tell if the pulleys are stock? It feels faster than a 2014 ZL1 I test drove that was totally stock. My car does have a cold air intake and oil separator, plus the exhaust sound louder.
- You could measure them as noted above. Stock boost psi is 9 psi so it may be a little more with a CAI.However depending on the exhaust it may be different.

The dealership I paid to inspect it before I bought it claims the exhaust is stock but it's getting inspected in my state on Friday and I will ask them to double check.
- I would bring it to a 3rd party inspector to make sure it's emissions compliant if your states checks for it. I would also check to make sure the stock NPP mufflers are intact.

3) Can I use plastic restorer on the front chin splitter? It feels like plastic and looks a little dull.
- Wipe it down with Simply Green to see if that helps. I use Pig Spit spray which keeps the factory looking finish without any glossiness.

4) Can anyone suggest a good car cover? I only have a one car garage and have classic car insurance on my Chevelle that mandates it be in the garage. I may have to find someone to garage the ZL1 for me over the winter months.
- Indoor or Outdoor? GM used to make two versions for the 5th gen ZL1; black for indoor and silver for Outdoor. Otherwise there are some quality aftermarket ones out there.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #11
rednecks70
 
Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, '70 Chevelle 454
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Willow Grove, PA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
Congrats!! You're going to love it. Best car I've ever owned.

The fuse is in the trunk, on the right hand side. Here's a post that has a photo of where it is located:
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226858
Thanks, I will look for it and see if they pulled the fuse.
rednecks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #12
rednecks70
 
Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, '70 Chevelle 454
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Willow Grove, PA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levonh View Post
Hi John. Looks like there are several of us that have gone to the ZL1. Glad you kept your Chevelle. I sold mine.

See you over on Chevelles.com as well

Here's my 2015. Took the black ZL1 wheels/tires off for now as I am planning a few long mile trips. Put the SS wheels on with new tires for the trip.
Levon, I remember seeing your name over on Chevelles.com. Very nice ZL1! I really want to keep my Chevelle, I've put a lot of time and money into it and have yet to reap the full benefits, still trying to iron out a few bugs. Wish I had a 2 car garage, my ZL1 is in very good shape and want to keep it that way.
rednecks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #13
rednecks70
 
Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, '70 Chevelle 454
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Willow Grove, PA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Welcome.

1) Can the hill assist be deactivated? It's annoying.
- There is no switch to turn it on or off. It would require some modification to remove. There was a thread here a few years back that detailed the process.

2) How can I tell if the pulleys are stock? It feels faster than a 2014 ZL1 I test drove that was totally stock. My car does have a cold air intake and oil separator, plus the exhaust sound louder.
- You could measure them as noted above. Stock boost psi is 9 psi so it may be a little more with a CAI.However depending on the exhaust it may be different.

The dealership I paid to inspect it before I bought it claims the exhaust is stock but it's getting inspected in my state on Friday and I will ask them to double check.
- I would bring it to a 3rd party inspector to make sure it's emissions compliant if your states checks for it. I would also check to make sure the stock NPP mufflers are intact.

3) Can I use plastic restorer on the front chin splitter? It feels like plastic and looks a little dull.
- Wipe it down with Simply Green to see if that helps. I use Pig Spit spray which keeps the factory looking finish without any glossiness.

4) Can anyone suggest a good car cover? I only have a one car garage and have classic car insurance on my Chevelle that mandates it be in the garage. I may have to find someone to garage the ZL1 for me over the winter months.
- Indoor or Outdoor? GM used to make two versions for the 5th gen ZL1; black for indoor and silver for Outdoor. Otherwise there are some quality aftermarket ones out there.
Thanks for the info. I need an outdoor cover for now. Hopefully I can find a friend or relative that will let me use their garage over the winter. This car is not going to see one snow flake if I can help it!
rednecks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #14
VRZL113
 
VRZL113's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 287
I believe the hill assist can be deactivated by switching the yaw sensor to the one found in the automatics... there's a few threads on it. I hated the hill assist at first, but on super steep inclines with ignorant motorists riding up on you, it comes in handy.

The worse feature is the skip shift, but that can also be taken care of. See Phastek for their skip shift eliminator.
__________________
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.