Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
craigibc

Drives: 2012 Camaro
2012 Camaro sat all winter and low oil

Hi,

I left the camaro in storage all winter and the first time we got it out this past spring it had low oil and started knocking pretty quickly. It is a V6 and it was getting an oil change on the weekend but this happened when we got the car out. I must of lost oil sitting all winter. This car has been well maintained and has around 110,000 miles on it. It sat in storage since last October till April when we got it out to drive for the spring-fall.

I towed it to the dealer and they told me to buy a new engine. It has been parked and not started till last week once this happened. Once I topped the oil off I do not hear any type of knock anymore. Has anyone had this happen to them and be able to fix it?

I considered pulling the engine and taking to a machine shop to get it diagnosed but honestly I do not know what the best course of action.

It is a California car and rust free but at $8500 to put a new motor in the math does not work for me. I have considered getting the crate engine with the 100k warranty but I am just not sure of the right path to get this car on the road again.

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited by craigibc; 10-14-2020 at 09:44 AM.
craigibc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
didn't check all fluids prior to starting a car that's sat for a year? that sucks man sorry to hear. you definitely did some damage to that motor, you're for sure going to need something new/replaced as far as AT LEAST a longblock. not much else to say on this item. $8500 for a new motor put in sounds about right, have you looked into the cost of a new LS3?

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #3
craigibc

Drives: 2012 Camaro
We would rather do a LS3 but when I looked it up they say changing the V6 to a LS is not worth the trouble. I get it my mistake on not checking the oil prior to starting up...

Any advice on a LS3 conversion on a V6 Camaro?
craigibc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #4
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
oh, i didn't realize it was a v6. do searches on this forum, TL/DR it's not worth it and is way more costly than you'd think.

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote