Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-25-2022, 09:55 PM   #127
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
Maybe this helps?
"Electric Power Steering Ground Wire Location??? - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com" https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...6#post11063216

Levon H. Bone Stock
LevonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:06 PM   #128
Astatenate

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
Maybe this helps?
"Electric Power Steering Ground Wire Location??? - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com" https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...6#post11063216
Thanks. Yes. So I found the ground. Next to the windshield washer fluid tank. It’s grounded good and on tight. I’ve attached pics to make sure we got everything attached properly on both sides. We’ve gone over connectors. Cleaned them with electronic cleaner, added di electric down at the steering rack connectors. Ground seemed to be tight.

Name:  A331B06F-9A85-4A88-B22E-E85B326F78DE.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  106.4 KB

The positive jump post. Had all 3 of these connectors connected to it

Name:  3F9B86E2-3D23-47F1-A170-05F6DBF19E31.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  145.0 KB

And here’s another view for any assistance. TIA.

Name:  95FFCB40-395D-4F75-BC48-87DA56B3C22B.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  192.5 KB
787WHP/ 719TQ | Fully Forged Short Block | Custom Spec GPI Cam | DSX aux pump & FF sensor| 1200cc FIC Injectors | Lingfelter 10.0” pulley & ATI damper | RotoFab Intake | ZZ Performance solid isolator | Kooks Headers | Corsa Catback | AFCO dual fan HX | Reinforced IC brick | AEM 3-in-1 Gauge | GPI Tuned | Carbon Fiber WickerBill | Morimoto Tail-lights | WELD S71 + ET STREET R’s
Astatenate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:40 AM   #129
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
If I'm looking at the last picture correctly it's showing the engine compartment on the drivers side near the front of the car?

If so, notice the stud on the inner fender just right of center in the photo.?

If I'm looking at the photo correctly, that's a stud that usually is in the way when installing a Rotofab cold air intake. That same stud is where a ground wire should be. Not sure where the other end of the cable attached, but it's a cable that was an issue years ago when people that were installing a CAI would move the cable to somewhere else, and often would result in issues with the power steering. Seems that when they moved the cable, even if they just temporarily moved it during installation and reattached it, sometimes it would not result in a good clean ground attachment.

I notice that in your photo there is no wire attached there?

Then again, I could be looking at the photo all wrong.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:48 PM   #130
Astatenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
If I'm looking at the last picture correctly it's showing the engine compartment on the drivers side near the front of the car?

If so, notice the stud on the inner fender just right of center in the photo.?

If I'm looking at the photo correctly, that's a stud that usually is in the way when installing a Rotofab cold air intake. That same stud is where a ground wire should be. Not sure where the other end of the cable attached, but it's a cable that was an issue years ago when people that were installing a CAI would move the cable to somewhere else, and often would result in issues with the power steering. Seems that when they moved the cable, even if they just temporarily moved it during installation and reattached it, sometimes it would not result in a good clean ground attachment.

I notice that in your photo there is no wire attached there?

Then again, I could be looking at the photo all wrong.
Yeah we never moved the ground when installing CAI or when reinstalling engine. That stud is where the roto fab connects with a 10mm bolt to hold it securely. The power steering ground is the one grounded right by the windshield washer fluid res cap - we’ve not moved anything from factory mounting. And this car was stock - 1 owner when I bought it. So I doubt he moved anything. It was an old man.
787WHP/ 719TQ | Fully Forged Short Block | Custom Spec GPI Cam | DSX aux pump & FF sensor| 1200cc FIC Injectors | Lingfelter 10.0” pulley & ATI damper | RotoFab Intake | ZZ Performance solid isolator | Kooks Headers | Corsa Catback | AFCO dual fan HX | Reinforced IC brick | AEM 3-in-1 Gauge | GPI Tuned | Carbon Fiber WickerBill | Morimoto Tail-lights | WELD S71 + ET STREET R’s
Old 01-27-2022, 05:11 PM   #131
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astatenate View Post
Yeah we never moved the ground when installing CAI or when reinstalling engine. That stud is where the roto fab connects with a 10mm bolt to hold it securely. The power steering ground is the one grounded right by the windshield washer fluid res cap - we’ve not moved anything from factory mounting. And this car was stock - 1 owner when I bought it. So I doubt he moved anything. It was an old man.

I resent that... I am an old man and mine is plus 700 and has been since 2014 one year after buying, and I did all the work. I would definitely put a wire brush on a drill on all three of those tabs and below the stud ( You can repaint later) I didn't back read the thread so assuming you double checked the ground on the right side of the engine and cleaned that tab as well as the contact point on the head. Remember Kirchhoff's law in that ground is just another node/circuit, especially when its not an earth ground as a car. Time to get your meter out and start checking that you are seeing frame ground at the end point of those connections.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:37 PM   #132
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Mine is a 13, so possibly they changes thing by 15. Perhaps they learned from the issues we had with the ground wire attached to the same stud Rotofab uses and moved that wire to where it is on your 15.

My 13 is asleep and covered in the garage or I'd offer to take a picture of mine as an example.

Hope you eventually figure it out.

One thing I've learned over more than 30 years in field service.

the longer it takes to find the problem, the simpler the solution ends up being.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:28 PM   #133
Astatenate

10-4. Thanks for the info. We will check into all surrounding components and see if we can find any errors. Could a 66% life battery cause issues? The battery tested as “good” at multiple local auto part stores. But was only reading mid to high 60% on battery healthy. Which idk how 60% anything is healthy. If someone told me my heart was working at 66% but is “good” I’d have mixed emotions. Haha. Also I know the remote start and stabilitrack has issues if voltage drops or battery is weak.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:09 AM   #134
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
10-4. Thanks for the info. We will check into all surrounding components and see if we can find any errors. Could a 66% life battery cause issues? The battery tested as “good” at multiple local auto part stores. But was only reading mid to high 60% on battery healthy. Which idk how 60% anything is healthy. If someone told me my heart was working at 66% but is “good” I’d have mixed emotions. Haha. Also I know the remote start and stabilitrack has issues if voltage drops or battery is weak.
I posted my opinion in your other thread on this topic.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:41 AM   #135
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
the longer it takes to find the problem, the simpler the solution ends up being.[/QUOTE]

Our youthful society puts great value on education and to a lesser degree intelligence while failing to recognize the value of the wisdom that comes with age.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote