Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
BunkG

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Can someone explain what a stalled transmission is?

I've been trying to educate myself on the subject but Im still lost. I hear people saying things like, "I have a 3K stall on my transmission." and i have no idea what they're talking about, can someone explain this to me thanks!
BunkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
redracer1
I Feel The Need For Speed

Drives: 2002 35th Anniversary SS/LE
Can someone explain what a stalled transmission is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkG View Post
I've been trying to educate myself on the subject but Im still lost. I hear people saying things like, "I have a 3K stall on my transmission." and i have no idea what they're talking about, can someone explain this to me thanks!

A stall converter (also known as a "torque converter") is a fluid coupler used between an engine and drive tranny to prevent engine stalling at low RPM & used in place of a traditional clutch
The drive turbine is supplied with power from the engine to move fluid through the blades of the drive turbine. A second turbine responds by turning its blades in the same direction but slightly slower than the first, thus transferring power.
A slight internal leakages cause a loss of power between the engine and transmission. Modern converters combat this power loss and its concordant loss in MPG by using an internal clutch to lock the engine and transmission at a given RPM.
On a higher stalled car engaging the wheels at a higher RPM allows the engine to get deeper into its power-band before taking on a load, thus increasing acceleration.
Performance torque converters allow a little more slippage before engaging the transmission, which increases acceleration but decreases gas mileage.
2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS/LE #30
2001 Brickyard 400 Track Car#10 SLP#101
http://www.socalmuscle.net/ http://www.losangelesinvasion.com/
redracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
dreeve

Drives: 1993 lt1 z28
pretty much sums it up..man knows his stuff
1993 lt1 z28,BBK 52mm throttle body,accel 30lb injectors,edelbrock intake,port/polished heads,1.6 rockers,erson 222in/226ex .480 lift cam,Dougs shorty headers,pcmforless chip,RK Sport competition intake , monster transmission, 3.73's, bmr suspension
[IMG][/IMG]
dreeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
White_Knuckle_Tight

Drives: 2001 Camaro V6
Excellent explanation from redracer, but in Lamen's terms. A "3k stall" would essentially mean that your car doesn't move until it hits 3000 rpm's
White_Knuckle_Tight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
BunkG

thanks guys!
@white knuckle but why would anyone want their car to move at 3k rpm? I mean if I were racing a car that doesn't move until 3k rpm wouldn't i get rolling before the other guy bc my trans gets me movin at about 1000rpm.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
White_Knuckle_Tight

well yes, but so long as both cars are still responsive (meaning there is little time between you pressing down the gas and the car moving) the difference in time would be almost non-existant. To answer why you would want a stall on your converter; it gives you a stronger launch. Although it takes longer to move, when you do move, you will move faster because there will be more power at the wheels.
For example: Any drag strip
My mom's ex husband had a Ford Torino he took to the strip all the time. That thing was beastly. It was pushin somewhere over 1000hp. He had an automatic transmission in it, and a 4500 stall converter. So he didn't move til he hit 4500 rpms, which in that car was insanity. He did this for two reasons.
1.) Because without a wheelie bar, his car would have done backflips (no shit) and the crowd loves a good wheel stand.
2.) because when that Torino launched, it took off like a ****ing rocket.

But for us common street folk, lol, anything past 2500 - 3000 is kinda pushin it
Old 07-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
BunkG

aah ok thanks for clarifying now I get it, so would i need a stronger trans to get a stall from about 2500- 4500? where would I get something like this done?
Old 07-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
redracer1
I Feel The Need For Speed

Drives: 2002 35th Anniversary SS/LE
Another reason to get a higher stall/torque convertor is in an automatic if you have a larger cam shaft and/or heads you will have more power/torque. The stall is matched to the engines power out put. If I have more engine power/torque when sitting at a red light you will push through the brakes if a higher stall is not installed. The higher stall keeps the car from doing just that stalling out cause you're sitting at a light with your foot cramped on the brake and it must let enough fluid bypass do to the higher torque rate & not let the car stall and/or push through the brakes.

The stall convertor also helps the engine get in it's power band snooner and also stay there with a proper tune. When researching camshaft/heads they have RPM power ranges and you will need a stall to match that range. Since the engine revs a little higher at excelleration to gain forward mommentum you use a little more fuel in the process hence lower mpg.

I think I explained that right.lol.
2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS/LE #30
2001 Brickyard 400 Track Car#10 SLP#101
http://www.socalmuscle.net/ http://www.losangelesinvasion.com/
redracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Love my Stalls in my 71 and 88
Old 07-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckle_Tight View Post
Excellent explanation from redracer, but in lay man's terms. A "3k stall" would essentially mean that your car doesn't move until it hits 3000 rpm's
No. 3000 stall rating is the maximum RPM an engine can turn with while holding the transmission (and rest of the drive line) still.

I have a 3200 stall in my trailblazer and it will move when I take my foot off the brake at idle.

The factory torque converter would only let me rev up to 2,000 before launching from the starting line at the drag strip. I now launch at about 2,800 RPM.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
BunkG

check this out guys

so basically if I have a 4k stall, my car wont make big power until I go past 4k RPM?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
BunkG

OK BlaSSt I see what youre saying
Old 07-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
White_Knuckle_Tight

Essentially, what everyone is trying to say here is; Google is the answer to all questions
Old 07-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckle_Tight View Post
Essentially, what everyone is trying to say here is; Google is the answer to all questions
More like, "Google the basics and come here with the technical questions".