Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-13-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Drives: "Marolyn"
Shutering

So twice now I go and turn on my car, and when It does turn on it shuters and it has me worried. At first I thought it was the tires, and then I was really low on gas so I filled it up and it still does it. This only happens when it starts though, like I'll drive around for a minute and then it doesn't do it, and it just started today. Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this?
Fotowns Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
White_Knuckle_Tight

Drives: 2001 Camaro V6
Check your exhaust hangers. If one of them has come loose it will do that. I drive a V6 and when I had the cat back replaced (it was rusted out and I had low funds) the guy at the shop had his flunky do it, and he didn't get my hanger in the right position so it shakes out of place after like one drive. So everytime I start it up it does that. I ended up just wire-tying it in place.
Also, check your Panhard bar. If the bushing in the end of it is worn severely, it could do that too. But then again, everytime you hit a bump or something in the road, youd hear a deep, dull rattle.
White_Knuckle_Tight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
305pride

Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotowns Finest View Post
So twice now I go and turn on my car, and when It does turn on it shuters and it has me worried. At first I thought it was the tires, and then I was really low on gas so I filled it up and it still does it. This only happens when it starts though, like I'll drive around for a minute and then it doesn't do it, and it just started today. Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this?
time to let go of your baby.... lmao im jk. im sorry thats not funny. but yea seriously though thats exactly what happened to my car. it would start shaking when i turned it on, and after a minute of driving it the shaking from the engine goes away. you better get that checked my friend. asap.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
ImportImage

Drives: 2012 GTR, 2009 GTR
Send a message via AIM to ImportImage
are you getting flashing SES lights? or a steady SES light?

I got a similar thing happen to me when my o2's were going out, it wouldn't go past like 2500 rpm's untill it warmed up, then it was fine till I started my car the next time.
ImportImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
If you're throwing a code, it could be tune-up time.

My 3.8 would shudder (as if about to die) when I hit the gas and it would start real hard when it need new plugs/wires.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
White_Knuckle_Tight

the word Shudder can mean alot of different things. It's really all in what he means by "shudder"
We kinda need to know more specifically before much can be said. Don't assume the worst....not yet anyway
Old 07-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
sounds like you need plugs or wires.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckle_Tight View Post
Check your exhaust hangers. If one of them has come loose it will do that. I drive a V6 and when I had the cat back replaced (it was rusted out and I had low funds) the guy at the shop had his flunky do it, and he didn't get my hanger in the right position so it shakes out of place after like one drive. So everytime I start it up it does that. I ended up just wire-tying it in place.
Also, check your Panhard bar. If the bushing in the end of it is worn severely, it could do that too. But then again, everytime you hit a bump or something in the road, youd hear a deep, dull rattle.
this sounds about right, as the right side of my exhaust setup isnt even on the hanger. i was being lazy about getting the new exhaust but now that this shit is starting im taking in tomorrow. i may also need a new panhard, bcuz there is a deep, dull rattle if i hit something hard enough, i always just figured it was the exhaust
Old 07-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

For the panhard thing, would I just have to replace the bushings or the actual bar?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
White_Knuckle_Tight

If your PB is worn out, you CAN replace the bushings, but you're so much better off to just replace the whole Bar. It would be like 40 bucks for the bushings (cheapest I found em anyway) and then God knows how much to have them replaced. You've got to use some kind of special compression tool to do it. When mine wore out I replaced it with an adjustable Hotchkiss XD ^_^ It was....130 I think. Little bit extra money but so much better.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

130 sounds resonable, I was paranoid that it was going to destroy my wallet.

Need rotors too...and a job... :(
Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #12
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
BMR also makes a good PHB

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
White_Knuckle_Tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
BMR also makes a good PHB
Indeed, Hotchkiss isn't the only good suspension company. They're just the first one I heard about, so I kinda developed a bias, lol.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #14
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Update

Ok so without a doubt my car is progressively getting worse. The shutering is now constant, it just doesn't go away after the first few min, it shutters no matter what, even as I accelerate now. I also had my SES come on today and it scares the shit outta me. I talked to the guy who's doing my exhaust and it's gonna come in next wendsday, which will seem like a lifetime. I'm gonna drive my moms car in the meantime thank god, but I just pray that when the time comes to take it over, it doesn't die on me or cause something else to break

Does all of this sound like just the exhaust? I get the horible feeling that there's something more to it than just the exhaust...