Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #1
Lex121

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Purchase question, need a little advice

Hello all. New(ish) member here in need of some advice on a purchase. I’m looking at a 2011 2SS/RS, automatic, with about 9K miles, about four hours from my home. Private purchase, seller is asking $25K. Price seems okay to me for the market, but there’s a rub. The car was a fun car and hasn’t been registered since 2019, due to some health problems seller had. This means the car has basically been sitting for a year and a half. Seller did take it for a one mile drive when I was there, and I saw no issues, but that’s hardly the same as driving a car regularly. The car is in a rural location with no mobile mechanics nearby. I can get LemonSquad to look at it, but from what I can tell, they wouldn’t necessary find any issues related to the lack of use. I offered to pay to have it registered, so it could be driven to a regular mechanic. Seller declined on the grounds he doesn’t want to go to the trouble the trouble of also having to get a state inspection. Evaluating this car mechanically is outside of my skill set, although from what I can see, the engine bay looks good and nothing struck me as questionable. Car is otherwise nicely cared for. I like the car and would buy it, but for the possibility of deterioration due to lack of use. In this situation, what would you do? Ask to have it towed to a mechanic for inspection? Pass on the deal? I’m concerned about seals, brake corrosion, fluids, etc. Anyone have any thoughts on how to properly evaluate this car given the circumstances? Thanks in advance.
Lex121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:57 AM   #2
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Did you ask the owner if he did all the storing procedures to car before letting it sit ?
1. How long did it sit with current fluids ?
2 . Did he have maintenance record ? , how often did he do fluid changes etc? Hate to be stereotypical but does he seem like the guy that seems well organized and takes care of his things ? (You we’re at his house right ?)
3. Take a look at tranny fluid does it look dark red or clear does it smell burnt ? Grant it he could of changed fluid before he put it up for sale ..

When buying a used vehicle I always budget changing all fluids and spark plugs /wires and in your case tires right off the batt .. it’s just cheap insurance + peace of mind ..

If it hasn’t had any leaks by now after a run , I doubt it can spring a leak but don’t quote me on that lol , im sure all the seals have been relubricated by now .
Risingson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
MarkNJ

Drives: 2015 2SS Commemorative Edition
Is the owners yard and garage immaculate? Is it an older man? If so, buy it.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
Lex121

Yes, an older man - 80 years, just off his third bout with cancer. The house and yard looked good. Not perfect, but kept up well given his circumstances. The car was garage kept during it's inactive period, but I didn't see the space because he already had it pulled out when I got there. He recently replaced the battery. Full maintenance records were not available (said he just didn't keep all the paperwork). It has a small door dent that wasn't repaired - looks like a parking lot ding. Carfax shows random oil changes, annual inspection/emission testing for the state, key reprogramming, and a front seat adjuster replacement. I didn't ask how long it's been sitting with the current fluids, but I will definitely follow up with him on that.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:39 PM   #5
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I think that is a hell of a deal. Does it have any ticking sounds coming from the engine? If not then I would buy it. Just like risingson05 said I would plan on changing ALL the fluids if you do buy it.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #6
MarkNJ

If he's 80 he'll probably take a little off the price also. Sounds like it might be a good deal. Any pics?
Old 09-19-2021, 06:57 PM   #7
Lex121

The test drive was very short, but I didn't hear any ticking or unusual noises. The only thing I noticed was the felt-like material behind the engine had holes in it, almost like it was melted. Not sure if that's an issue. Overall, it struck me as a well maintained vehicle, but my judgment when it comes to the mechanical stuff isn't necessary that solid. lol. Thanks for the input!
Attached Images

Last edited by Lex121; 09-19-2021 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:24 PM   #8
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Car looks to be well kept .
Risingson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:33 PM   #9
MarkNJ

Looks too good to be true. A low mileage camaro owned and driven by an old man. Don't over think it.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Oh my she looks very clean and well kept. As stated above, don't over think it. These Camaro's are very well built and if they were maintained properly will last for ever. One of my buds has a 2010 M6 SS Camaro and only has 10k on it!! He never drives it. So aside from replacing all the fluids, tires and such you should be golden on this one.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:23 PM   #11
Lex121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNJ View Post
Looks too good to be true. A low mileage camaro owned and driven by an old man. Don't over think it.
Solid advice. Thanks for all of the input. Hope to pick it up this week!
Old 09-19-2021, 08:26 PM   #12
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Good luck sir!! Nice find.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #13
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Sitting a year and a half aint shit, most guys on here have there cars sit for a third or more of that every year. It will be fine, these cars are incredibly robust. Only thing I would do is make sure you put a full tank of fresh premium fuel in it before you drive it real far so if there’s any real break down in the old fuel you can get it flushed out.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:56 AM   #14
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Very nice! Maybe put a bottle of K100 fuel treatment in the tank before you fill it up. Also, if it has a sun roof check the drain hoses to make sure they are seated in the grommets.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote