Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-22-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
diddies

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Holley Tall LS Valve Covers

I am going to be installing the Holley Tall LS Valve Covers and have a quick question. It mentions on step 12 as you can see that an external PCV valve may be needed. Is this needed on the ZL1 and if so where would I put this?Name:  holley Valve Covers.JPG
Views: 1381
Size:  26.6 KB
diddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I see many valve covers advertised to fit the LS series engines, but so far none of them state they will fit the LSA that comes in the ZL1 ??
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:49 PM   #3
diddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I see many valve covers advertised to fit the LS series engines, but so far none of them state they will fit the LSA that comes in the ZL1 ??
It says on their site that it fits a ZL1Name:  holley Valve Covers1.JPG
Views: 1290
Size:  81.8 KB
Old 01-22-2021, 09:54 PM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddies View Post
It says on their site that it fits a ZL1Attachment 1056540
Interesting.

In the main description it lists pretty much all the LS series except the LSA.
It's only when you look for parts to fit a 2013 Camaro ZL1, does it state it does fir the ZL1.

Hmmmm
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:44 AM   #5
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
I have these, the vent had to be seriously restricted otherwise it would fill my catch can in a matter of minutes. Just adding a PCV valve didn't work for me. They also made the plug wires a snug fit. That said, they do look good.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:33 AM   #6
diddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
I have these, the vent had to be seriously restricted otherwise it would fill my catch can in a matter of minutes. Just adding a PCV valve didn't work for me. They also made the plug wires a snug fit. That said, they do look good.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Do you have pictures of what you did or how you restricted it?
Old 01-25-2021, 11:43 AM   #7
larry_g

So when I went through this, my research indicated that the hose from the valve cover required a restriction. I first tried the recommended PCV valve which didn't work so then I ordered a fancy aluminum restrictor and it too wasn't enough.

I already had a T fitting in the hose because I needed to split the vacuum between the catch can and my NPP (due to the Whipple). So I had a huge brain fart and decided to try a stepped T fitting like this

https://www.autozone.com/fittings-an...tor/373175_0_0

I left the side facing the valve cover at the smallest opening and then trimmed the other two so they weren't restricted. So far it has worked perfectly for me, I now get just a small amount of oil in the catch can.

If you don't need a T, you can cap it or I'm pretty sure they make the same thing in a straight connector as well.
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:58 PM   #8
diddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
So when I went through this, my research indicated that the hose from the valve cover required a restriction. I first tried the recommended PCV valve which didn't work so then I ordered a fancy aluminum restrictor and it too wasn't enough.

I already had a T fitting in the hose because I needed to split the vacuum between the catch can and my NPP (due to the Whipple). So I had a huge brain fart and decided to try a stepped T fitting like this

https://www.autozone.com/fittings-an...tor/373175_0_0

I left the side facing the valve cover at the smallest opening and then trimmed the other two so they weren't restricted. So far it has worked perfectly for me, I now get just a small amount of oil in the catch can.

If you don't need a T, you can cap it or I'm pretty sure they make the same thing in a straight connector as well.
My catch can is currently in tied to my valley cover and supercharger vacuum return. How would you tie this into the valve covers?
Old 01-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #9
larry_g

Quote:
My catch can is currently in tied to my valley cover and supercharger vacuum return. How would you tie this into the valve covers?
With the Whipple, the valley cover port is capped.

Any of the three ports (valley and 2 valve covers) will allow you to pull air from the crankcase.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:08 PM   #10
SiC ZL1

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1 M6
I have the tall holley valve covers on my 12 ZL1 and no issues what so ever. I have a JLT catch can ran to the valley port and supercharger port. I cut the ends off of the breather tubes and used a little 3/8 hose to adapt them to the valvecovers. Supercharger is nice and clean inside and catch can works exacyly as it should.
2012 BLK ZL1 M6: Rotofab CAI,20in Z28 Reps,5% tint,6K leds/hids,VMaxx TB,JLT CC,BTR Stage2PDSTQ Cam & Valvetrain,Holley VC, AFCO HX,BK Fab HX Tank,MGW Flatstick,Kooks 2in coated headers catless,BMR bushings & arms,160*,2.45 upper,ID1050s,Shane Hinds tuned, Pedders Xa Coilovers,DSX Aux pump & Flex Fuel,Corsa.
SiC ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:34 PM   #11
JimCT_9C1

Drives: 2012 Caprice PPV
Sub'd. - Thanks for real world experience from SiC ZL1 w/ factory PCV, and larry_g's w/ Whipple too!

SiC ZL1 crossed my response but since I already wrote this up, figure I'd post it anyway ...

I have been looking into LSA valve cover and PCV compatibility as I build toward the future of my Caprice.

From wading through experiences of others here and with Caprice/G8s, it seems the Holley valve covers have minimal flow restriction. Without some sort of PCV valve or flow orifice, a PCV dirty side (outlet from crankcase) connection from an unrestricted valve cover creates an open draw from crankcase to catch can / intake leading to high oil carryover. The factory valve covers with a PCV dirty side connection have built-in flow restrictors and baffling to control this. With a factory valley cover PCV outlet, the dirty side restriction and baffling are in the valley cover.

OP - check your factory valve covers or someone can chime in on any flow restrictors in the LSA factory valve covers. The Holleys may work as-is with your setup.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Last edited by JimCT_9C1; 01-25-2021 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Acknowledgement
JimCT_9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:14 PM   #12
diddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiC ZL1 View Post
I have the tall holley valve covers on my 12 ZL1 and no issues what so ever. I have a JLT catch can ran to the valley port and supercharger port. I cut the ends off of the breather tubes and used a little 3/8 hose to adapt them to the valvecovers. Supercharger is nice and clean inside and catch can works exacyly as it should.
Do you have a picture of your breather tube or how you attached these?
Old 01-27-2021, 08:25 PM   #13
SiC ZL1

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Do you have a picture of your breather tube or how you attached these?
If my car wasn't in storage at the moment, I'd get you better pics. But hopefully this helps.
Attached Images

2012 BLK ZL1 M6: Rotofab CAI,20in Z28 Reps,5% tint,6K leds/hids,VMaxx TB,JLT CC,BTR Stage2PDSTQ Cam & Valvetrain,Holley VC, AFCO HX,BK Fab HX Tank,MGW Flatstick,Kooks 2in coated headers catless,BMR bushings & arms,160*,2.45 upper,ID1050s,Shane Hinds tuned, Pedders Xa Coilovers,DSX Aux pump & Flex Fuel,Corsa.
SiC ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:44 PM   #14
diddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiC ZL1 View Post
If my car wasn't in storage at the moment, I'd get you better pics. But hopefully this helps.
That helps a ton. Do you have any problems with it giving way from the OEM hose? I will be doing this tomorrow.