Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
diddies

Drives: 2013 ZL1
AN Fittings for Coolant Lines

I am adding a reservoir to my supercharger and since I am doing this want to go AN fittings. I have been doing a bit of research on this as I have never used an fittings before. The question I have is what is the best method to get AN fittings attached to your heat exchanger and pump or what you do something different. I see people get an fittings welded onto this heat exchanger but didn’t know if this is the best route. Or how do you get these connected to the pump?
diddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
AN fittings at this pressure level will only be for looks. If you want them anyway, you will likely have to have them welded on the heat exchanger, unless you can find one made otherwise or have it custom built to start with. Then you have to figure out what to do with your pump. I think I have seen reservoirs with AN fittings already installed.

Be careful with AN fittings, since they often have orifices within the fitting that are substantially smaller than their size.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
diddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
AN fittings at this pressure level will only be for looks. If you want them anyway, you will likely have to have them welded on the heat exchanger, unless you can find one made otherwise or have it custom built to start with. Then you have to figure out what to do with your pump. I think I have seen reservoirs with AN fittings already installed.

Be careful with AN fittings, since they often have orifices within the fitting that are substantially smaller than their size.
My reservoir already has AN fittings. My heat exchanger does not and obviously the pump doesn't. My question is really if there is an easy solution to get to the heat exchanger without an AN bung being welded on and I have no idea how people are doing it to the pump. I have seen AN fittings in pictures on numerous ZL1s but not sure how they are getting these from the heat exchanger or the pump.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:10 AM   #4
gtstorey

The easy solution is a barbed to AN fitting adaptor with a short piece of hose to attach it to the pump/heat exchanger. It might be possible to cut the bead end off of the heat exchanger connection and use a compression type fitting. It would take some careful measurement to determine if it's possible. It worked on my 3/8 transmission cooler lines.
Compression | AN Plumbing

Not sure that would work on a plastic pump (if the stock ZL1 pump has plastic inlet-outlet).
Old 02-12-2021, 03:30 PM   #5
diddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
The easy solution is a barbed to AN fitting adaptor with a short piece of hose to attach it to the pump/heat exchanger. It might be possible to cut the bead end off of the heat exchanger connection and use a compression type fitting. It would take some careful measurement to determine if it's possible. It worked on my 3/8 transmission cooler lines.
Compression | AN Plumbing

Not sure that would work on a plastic pump (if the stock ZL1 pump has plastic inlet-outlet).
I appreciate the information. I think I am going to go the route of barb to AN fitting after what you said and what I have researched.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:59 PM   #6
gtstorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddies View Post
I appreciate the information. I think I am going to go the route of barb to AN fitting after what you said and what I have researched.
What size AN fitting is on your reservoir? If it matches the same size as the fittings on the heat exchanger or pump, I would make up the AN fitting on one end and just clamp the other on the fitting. Other wise you are just adding an additional leak point in and will then have two hose clamps instead of one (if we are talking about the same thing on the Barb-AN adaptor).
Old 02-12-2021, 05:19 PM   #7
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
You can slide it onto the reservoir/HX and just clamp it. It works just fine. I did that to/from the reservoir, IC pump and both chiller cores using steel braided lines that I custom cut.
Attached Images

2014 ZL1 M6: Roto Fab Intake, LS3 TB, Long Tube Headers, NPP, Mild 2 Wild, JMS BAP, SMG aux pump, ID 1050X Injectors, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, 10.5" DSX Lower Pulley, Killer Chiller, Tuned by Ted at JRE, Pedders XA Extreme coilovers, Mickey Thompson Street S/S on Weld S71s
Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:26 AM   #8
diddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodown View Post
You can slide it onto the reservoir/HX and just clamp it. It works just fine. I did that to/from the reservoir, IC pump and both chiller cores using steel braided lines that I custom cut.
Appreciate it. My reservoir has AN bungs on it which will be nice. I just wasn't sure if I could just clamp down the houses onto the heat exchanger or pump.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:10 AM   #9
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddies View Post
Appreciate it. My reservoir has AN bungs on it which will be nice. I just wasn't sure if I could just clamp down the houses onto the heat exchanger or pump.
As long as the hose slips onto the hose fitting of the HX then yes, same thing applies.
2014 ZL1 M6: Roto Fab Intake, LS3 TB, Long Tube Headers, NPP, Mild 2 Wild, JMS BAP, SMG aux pump, ID 1050X Injectors, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, 10.5" DSX Lower Pulley, Killer Chiller, Tuned by Ted at JRE, Pedders XA Extreme coilovers, Mickey Thompson Street S/S on Weld S71s
Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote