Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 04-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
Roadking107

Drives: Camaro ZL1
HX install?

I’m considering installing and upgraded HX in my 5th gen ZL1. I’m wondering how difficult it is. I’m a bit intimidated to take the front nose off the car.
Roadking107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Depending on which one you buy, you might not have to remove the front clip (which is actually pretty easy). I installed a C&R HX and didn't need to remove front clip, but I did remove the radiator and AC condensor out of the way.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
beersngars
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I just had the nose off mine and it was a piece of cake. Just take your time and it's no problem. I would think that way is easier than trying to work over it.
beersngars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:22 AM   #4
N2O

i installed the afco heat exchanger with dual fans,took maybe 2-3 hours at home. Its pretty easy just need all the tools at hand.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
ZL1 Maniac

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Red Hot M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beersngars View Post
I just had the nose off mine and it was a piece of cake. Just take your time and it's no problem. I would think that way is easier than trying to work over it.
So true....

Besides, you'll need to know how to take the nose off when it comes time to replace that lower grille/splitter after it kisses a few curbs...

Have fun, its not bad at all....

Jeff
ZL1 Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Roadking107

Thanks. I'm likely going to get the CR racing HX too. Can you share your tricks for the install without taking the front clip off.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
Roadking107

Thanks
Old 04-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
BlackMambaZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking107 View Post
Thanks. I'm likely going to get the CR racing HX too. Can you share your tricks for the install without taking the front clip off.
TBH Taking the nose off would be easier than taking the radiator and condenser out. I was not looking forward to doing mine and I will be honest... the most annoying part was taking all the little screws out underneath the splitter which was nothing haha.

You won't have to drain coolant and it is easy to do. I am going to be taking mine off again this summer to do the crash bar and tow hook on the front. It is nothing to be afraid of.
764RWHP on e85 683RWHP on 91. M6 Black on Black on Black. 1300ID's, DSX Aux Pump and Flex Fuel Sensor, Lingenfelter 2.5 upper 9.5 lower, 100MM idler, AFCO HX w/ FANS. 1 7/8"ARH exhaust to axle incl LTH, MF's, Fuel Lab FF, Lingenfelter ported snout and TB, Lingenfelter CAI, RotoFab coolant tank, NGK 2 steps colder spark plugs, Moroso catch can, BTR Stage III cam, crank case breather. Tuned by Power Labs in Idaho Falls, ID.
BlackMambaZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #9
Roadking107

Thanks
Old 04-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #10
beersngars
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking107 View Post
With the car on the ground, open the hood, remove the push-pins along the front and the 10mm head bolts on either end. Jack up the car and remove the 10mm head bolts and all the torx screws along the bottom. Pull the front tires and remove the torx screws from the inner fender liner. Take all the forward push-pins in the inner fender out. Now you can pull the inner fender down and out of the way. IF I recall there are 3 forward facing 10mm head bolts and 1 vertical on each side. There is 1 more 10mm head bolt that faces inward that only needs to be backed out about 1/2 way.

Next, grab the nose try pulling it straight off to make sure you got all the bolts. No real force is needed if everything is ready. Last, there is 1 electrical connector on the passenger side of the radiator. I had a problem separating the connector, so I got the wife to hold the bumper so I could use both hands on the connector and not have an aw shit it slipped screw up.

As far as tips, I would say, get the inner fenders as far down and out of the way as possible. That makes seeing all the bolts in the front very easy. I spent maybe 45 minutes to an hour taking mine off the first time and now that I've done it, 1/2 that max. The job is very straight forward.

Last edited by beersngars; 04-17-2018 at 10:17 PM.
beersngars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:57 PM   #11
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
There are also two small screws that hold the fender liner to the brake cooling duct. Don't forget those.

Last edited by ZO6 Bryan; 04-22-2018 at 09:58 PM.
ZO6 Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #12
Roadking107

Quote:
With the car on the ground, open the hood, remove the push-pins along the front and the 10mm head bolts on either end. Jack up the car and remove the 10mm head bolts and all the torx screws along the bottom. Pull the front tires and remove the torx screws from the inner fender liner. Take all the forward push-pins in the inner fender out. Now you can pull the inner fender down and out of the way. IF I recall there are 3 forward facing 10mm head bolts and 1 vertical on each side. There is 1 more 10mm head bolt that faces inward that only needs to be backed out about 1/2 way.

Next, grab the nose try pulling it straight off to make sure you got all the bolts. No real force is needed if everything is ready. Last, there is 1 electrical connector on the passenger side of the radiator. I had a problem separating the connector, so I got the wife to hold the bumper so I could use both hands on the connector and not have an aw shit it slipped screw up.

As far as tips, I would say, get the inner fenders as far down and out of the way as possible. That makes seeing all the bolts in the front very easy. I spent maybe 45 minutes to an hour taking mine off the first time and now that I've done it, 1/2 that max. The job is very straight forward.
Thank you
Old 04-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #13
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Quote:

There are also (2) 7mm bolts (1 per side) that hold the very edges of the bumper cover near the ends of the marker light brackets.

Additional tips...

You can remove the electrical connector for the lights prior to removing the bumper, and a power ratchet will help when reinstalling the (6) 10mm upper bolts (3 per side).
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #14
Roadking107

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRZL113 View Post
There are also (2) 7mm bolts (1 per side) that hold the very edges of the bumper cover near the ends of the marker light brackets.

Additional tips...

You can remove the electrical connector for the lights prior to removing the bumper, and a power ratchet will help when reinstalling the (6) 10mm upper bolts (3 per side).
Thanks