Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #15
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
The pointy tips on those plugs are that way from the factory, not wear.
You could double check the gap (0.043) if you have it back out.

Hopefully it's just a faulty coil and not "blow-by" from bad rings.

How many miles and how many Seafoam treatments?

BTW- I thought the passenger side cyl. were labeled 1-3-5 and drivers was 2-4-6 front to back, but I could have it bass-ackward!

Good luck and keep us posted.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #16
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
The pointy tips on those plugs are that way from the factory, not wear.
You could double check the gap (0.043) if you have it back out.

Hopefully it's just a faulty coil and not "blow-by" from bad rings.

How many miles and how many Seafoam treatments?

BTW- I thought the passenger side cyl. were labeled 1-3-5 and drivers was 2-4-6 front to back, but I could have it bass-ackward!

Good luck and keep us posted.
Looking like its blow by...50,000 miles with a rebuild at 9,000 miles. I looked on the cts forums, I'm assuming they oriented the engine the same way in our cars. Who knows though....

I'll keep you guys posted. I'm running numbers on a V8 today. Looks like I can afford it quite safely.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #17
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
I agree oil means a messed up piston ring. But the plug could just be fouled which is why you getting misfire code. I've had oil before on mine with no misfire. Only when my plug was fouled, but get it all checked out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III
Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #18
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
I agree oil means a messed up piston ring. But the plug could just be fouled which is why you getting misfire code. I've had oil before on mine with no misfire. Only when my plug was fouled, but get it all checked out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III
Looks like I pulled the right plugs. My engine has been bburning a quart every 3000-4000 miles and it went 40,000 without a can. My guess is that my rings didn't seat well off the jump, it was probably going to break eventually anyway.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
I'm running numbers on a V8 today. Looks like I can afford it quite safely.
I've had a blast modifying the V6, but if I had it all to do over again....

I say go for the V8 man, there's no replacement for displacement! With folks holding out for the refreshed 14's, there's bound to be some deals to be had on some 2013's out there.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
I've had a blast modifying the V6, but if I had it all to do over again....

I say go for the V8 man, there's no replacement for displacement! With folks holding out for the refreshed 14's, there's bound to be some deals to be had on some 2013's out there.
Yeah I think I've made up my mind lol Main priority right now is to get this car fixed 100%

Already hit up my salesman to see what he can do for me.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #21
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
So how is it coming along DarkneSS? Get things worked out on the uptrade yet?
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #22
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms2010 View Post
So how is it coming along DarkneSS? Get things worked out on the uptrade yet?
Was just about to post about this, I'm in an interesting situation lol

I brought it to the dealer and got it back the same day, they said there was a bulletin out for misfires that required an ECU update . Great and all but I don't think that addresses the oil on the plug that I told them about
Old 06-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #23
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
I would be surprised if it deals with it too. You may have to keep asking the question until they give an answer for it and not dodge around it. My guess would be they have no clue so you are getting the answers about everything but your question.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #24
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Was just about to post about this, I'm in an interesting situation lol

I brought it to the dealer and got it back the same day, they said there was a bulletin out for misfires that required an ECU update . Great and all but I don't think that addresses the oil on the plug that I told them about
I had this bulletin done for misfires. Doc ID 2542524 It is mainly on start up during cold temps.
Doesn't sound like your problem though.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Willing to bet you have rings stuck on that cylinder from being gunked up so if it is allowing to much oil past now, the only way to free them is tear down and re-ring.

Here is a piston w/only 8 k miles (from a LLT).

Look at the buildup in such a short time. It is critical for the rings to seat properly in the first 500 miles, and to also stop the oil ingestion with a proper catchcan system.

Every now and then simply adding a can that catches all, or nearly all the oil and an upper induction cleaning right after will allow the rings to begin to move freely again, but not always. And, only a couple cans catch most of the oil....and the RX is the only one to catch all, or nearly all the oil:

Hey Tracy, Just wanted to thank you, and everyone at RevXtreme. I bought a catch can from you, for my 2005 CTS. Well since installing it i'm not consuming any oil anymore. I've had a close eye on the oil level since i have installed it and it hasn't used a drop. I don't know how or what that catch can has done to prevent the oil consumption. (I've read your tech tips article and understand the concept of how a catch can work.) I guess i am just baffeled that it something so simple like that could work.

Anyway just wanted to thank you. I was at my last wits end with this car and was about to put it back on the market, after the dealer replaced two motors under warrenty.

I'll be purchasing another catch can from you in the future. I have a 2000 Camaro SS that is getting a turbo as we speak, as a fun project street car.

But thanks again. It was definetly worth the wait.

Gabe Moulden
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #26
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
I had this bulletin done for misfires. Doc ID 2542524 It is mainly on start up during cold temps.
Doesn't sound like your problem though.
That is EXACTLY what they did. I TOLD them there is oil on the spark pluf thread. They just updated my ECU, drove it 14 miles(extremely hard no doubt), and gave it back.

Can I even get them to address the oil on plug issue?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #27
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

UPDATE MISFIRE PROBLEM IDENTIFIED! Holy CRAPPP you guys will not believe what the problem was, making a thread now as it needs its own thread.