Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #15
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Haha...where did this thread go?!?! Anyway, I want to thank everyone for their responses.

I guess I should elaborate some more before Georgianne beats me My loans are pretty much paid off. I'm in Grad School right now (company paid), so all my undergrad loan payments are being deferred until 2009/2010. I'll have enough in savings to have that paid off in a couple weeks actually. I've been working throughout college, so I've saved up a bunch before I got the new job.

I've had this conversation with a lot of people actually. I personally don't mind living with my parents. Yea, I know it's not "cool", but I definitely think it'll help me out in the long run. I get along with them great, so it's not like they're sick of me. So moving out isn't really an urgent issue. The housing market should continue to stumble for a little while longer, so if anything, buying a house in the short-term would be just a convenience for my social life, I guess =P

Putting some more thought into it, I think getting a high MPG used car is probably the best idea for the daily driver when the Buick goes. I just put $1000 into it for struts and a control arm (damn NYC potholes), so it better last me a little while longer. When to purchase the Camaro is a different story. I'll wait until I'm 25 in June 2009, but I know as soon as I see them on the roads, it'll drive me crazy to wait anymore. It would be really tough to wait until 2010.

Does anyone know how much of a difference it would make between having a insurance on a daily driver and a "weekend driver"? Is it really that substantial?
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #16
Georgianne

Drives: chevys
[QUOTE Does anyone know how much of a difference it would make between having a insurance on a daily driver and a "weekend driver"? Is it really that substantial?[/QUOTE]

For your age it doesn't matter-your screwed! Nice that you get along with your parents. though!
Georgianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:10 PM   #17
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Yea, I know I have my gender, age, and location working against me, but it would be nice to think that a 6-year clean driving record in NYC would mean something!
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:23 AM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Save your money, pay off your loans (if not, they'll be there forever gaining interest), drive what'cha have until it breaks, and buy the 5th Gen after you turn 25 when your insurance premiums drop. Simple as that. You're not going to save money by having two cars. Save, save, save...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #19
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Save your money, pay off your loans (if not, they'll be there forever gaining interest), drive what'cha have until it breaks, and buy the 5th Gen after you turn 25 when your insurance premiums drop. Simple as that. You're not going to save money by having two cars. Save, save, save...

+1
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #20
bigralph

Drives: 2001 v6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianne View Post
Please don't take this personally, but i think you all stink. I mean that in the most loving and Christian way of course. Croathlete, honey what you need to do is pay your school loans on time. Buy a camaro cuz you only live once and once you get married and have kids she is going to want you to get rid of it. Enjoy it while you can. Live with mom and dad until they throw you out or you can't stand it any longer!

I agree with Georgianne advice. You are young live life to the fullest, and buy your camaro. Drive her every day and enjoy it. When time comes to buy your house. You are not going to have the time play with you her specially when you get married. I know because I just got married and I don't have the time to even look under the hood of my camaro.
bigralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #21
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
The only insurance adjustment I can think of is telling them that you drive less that 5000 miles. It saved me a little money.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #22
50SBLOW
Ex Mustang Owner

Drives: 88 Z28, 05 Durango
Tag hit the nail on the head..."Save, Save, Save!!!!!" Leasing a daily driver? It wouldn't work for me, but we are all different. You have a fresh start. I'm 10 years older than you and wish I did. Check this web site out..
www.daveramsey.com
This guy is brilliant and his ideas have helped me undo 10 years of stupidity.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #23
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I'm going with Tag, as I'm pretty financially conservative and I prefer good debt to outweigh bad debt. Of course, there are degrees of flexibility and gray areas to consider. Personally, I know (barring any unusual circumstances) that I'll be able to afford my Camaro by 2012 when I'm 25. Chances are good that I'll be able to afford it even before that. If so, then bonus surprise for me. If not, then I'm not disappointed.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #24
Georgianne

Tag and gtahvit- you guys are way so conservative.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #25
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Tag and gtahvit- you guys are way so conservative.
lol Maybe we've learned for our earlier mistakes.

I'm not speaking for Tag, but that is exactly why I gave the advice I gave...

Now if I had missed out on something earlier in my life and lived to regret it I might give different advice. I don't have anything against your recommendation. You can defend your's and I can defend mine. Now he's heard both sides and can make an educated decision.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #26
Georgianne

What ? Live life with any regrets? --Never you can only learn from living!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #27
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Well that is certainly a true statement.

I lived a little too much and too selfishly at times and paid a price for it. I have a short memory where my mistakes are concerned, and luckily I never made catastrophic errors in judgement. But my bad choices did hurt people close to me. None of whom hold a grudge and love me dearly.

So, live life to the fullest by all means. But I won't make the same mistake twice. That's just my mindset.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #28
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Quote:
this may be true but from a n00b's Point of view ..... college is EXSPENSIVE and im paying it all out of pocket ..... no loans yet lets calculate a little shall we??

College (lets base this off of 4 yrs w/o interest, im giving the warning that I am guessing and going off of my old civics teacher telling us what he had to pay): 42K (Depending on what your doing, and what the interest rate is, unless you shelling out id say .................................................. .... 600 a mnth ur not even touching the loan

Just save!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Dont be like my step uncle and get a 07 silverado maxed out to the T and pay 600+ a mnth for 72 mnths. I like chevy but I will be DANGED if i'll pay THAT MUCH for a 4x4 silverado with a V8 Vortec (Which he doesnt use the 4x4) XM Satilite radio, dual climate control, and probly more feature then my truck and camaro and ur camaro combined