Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
nightfallcamaro

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Grey Camaro 1SS
AFTERMARKET SEAT HELP!!!

Hey everyone,

I just ordered some aftermarket seats for my 1SS. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to the first part of my question, but will the airbag light come on when I disconnect the stock seat?

Also, if it does come on, is there a work around to get the light to stay off? I've heard of connecting a 2 ohm resistor in series with the circuit but wanted to see if anyone has done this already.

Thanks!

***EDIT***

So I installed the seats. I ended up going with two 6ohm resistors in parallel because its what I could find (total resistance in parallel would be 3 ohms) and they ended up burning up. They short circuited my car and I had to jump start it to get it back on. Insane pain in the butt.

On the bright side the seats look great.

Gonna try and reach out to my tuner and see if he can take off the airbag light.

https://www.instagram.com/nightfallcamaro/

Last edited by nightfallcamaro; 02-26-2018 at 08:34 AM.
nightfallcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #2
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfallcamaro View Post
Hey everyone,

I just ordered some aftermarket seats for my 1SS. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to the first part of my question, but will the airbag light come on when I disconnect the stock seat?

Also, if it does come on, is there a work around to get the light to stay off? I've heard of connecting a 2 ohm resistor in series with the circuit but wanted to see if anyone has done this already.

Thanks!
I am curious with any answers you get as I woud like to pull my passenger seat with a few other things to make a 1/4 mile pass and not have a troublesome air bag light issue.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #3
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
When I swapped my seats, i forgot to connect the inside sensors at first and got a airbag light, so my assumption is yes. I think a tuner could turn the light off for this specific issue, but I could be wrong.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #4
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
You’re probably going to have to put a resistor in the airbag circuit to keep the light off. I don’t think it can be tuned out since its part of the SRS system
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:27 PM   #5
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
what i did on my subaru was put a resistor it worked for me ..

idk if it will work on the camaro

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...BoCBeoQAvD_BwE
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #6
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
When I swapped my seats, i forgot to connect the inside sensors at first and got a airbag light, so my assumption is yes. I think a tuner could turn the light off for this specific issue, but I could be wrong.
How did you get rid of the airbag light?
Old 02-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
nightfallcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeJATT View Post
what i did on my subaru was put a resistor it worked for me ..

idk if it will work on the camaro

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...BoCBeoQAvD_BwE
I ended up buying 2 6ohm resistors on Amazon. I'm gonna connect them in parallel and see if this fixes the issue when I replace the seats. I'll update the thread when I get answer for you guys.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #8
lt4camaro

Quote:
I ended up buying 2 6ohm resistors on Amazon. I'm gonna connect them in parallel and see if this fixes the issue when I replace the seats. I'll update the thread when I get answer for you guys.
Great, will be waiting.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #9
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
How did you get rid of the airbag light?
He plugged it in
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
He plugged it in
Typically when you unplug a seat belt connector and or a air bag connection and you start the car, you get a air bag light or a SRS light. That also throws a code and usually the code needs to be erased before either light goes off. Most SRS or airbag lights/issues require a dealer to correct the issue and or delete the code to shut off the light. Maybe Chevrolet allows you to disconnect battery, reinstall ( example ) removed seat, plug in connectors, , reconnect battery and presto.. no light and code is gone?? wishful thinking?
Old 02-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #11
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Typically when you unplug a seat belt connector and or a air bag connection and you start the car, you get a air bag light or a SRS light. That also throws a code and usually the code needs to be erased before either light goes off. Most SRS or airbag lights/issues require a dealer to correct the issue and or delete the code to shut off the light. Maybe Chevrolet allows you to disconnect battery, reinstall ( example ) removed seat, plug in connectors, , reconnect battery and presto.. no light and code is gone?? wishful thinking?
With my experience, I unplugged the airbag connectors 15+ time. never once I got a code and half of the time I didn't disconnect the battery. I had aftermarket seats for a brief moment so I went through all of this. As soon as I put my OEM seats on, no airbag light, no code.

For the OP, to turn of the airbag light he'll have to match the resistance coming from the plugs of the seats to the plug connected on the car. Second, he'll have to remove the passenger weight sensor bladder from his OEM seats onto the new seats. It's not an easy feat but it can be done.

If he sticks a resistor that is too high, it can trigger the airbags.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #12
nightfallcamaro

Quote:
I think that's what should work, the code will stay stored but the light will go away. I had that happen to me with my CAI. I'm gonna avoid any potential problems and just disconnect my battery during the install.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #13
lt4camaro

Quote:
With my experience, I unplugged the airbag connectors 15+ time. never once I got a code and half of the time I didn't disconnect the battery. I had aftermarket seats for a brief moment so I went through all of this. As soon as I put my OEM seats on, no airbag light, no code.

For the OP, to turn of the airbag light he'll have to match the resistance coming from the plugs of the seats to the plug connected on the car. Second, he'll have to remove the passenger weight sensor bladder from his OEM seats onto the new seats. It's not an easy feat but it can be done.

My main question is, can you remove a pass seat, start the car and drive which has to trigger a air bag light and what about the weight sensor light if there is one . Once I put the seat back in and plug in the connections (next day) will the air bag light go away as well as the code??
Old 02-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #14
nightfallcamaro

Quote:

Can you elaborate why I would have to move the weight sensors? This is the first time I hear of this.

Tags
aftermarket, airbag light, camaro, resistor, seats