Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Oil cooler delete

Having looked under my car some time ago and spotted a drip of oil from the oil cooler, along with a drip of coolant, I thought it might be time to research the threads on here which were all really helpful, online I found a video, which a lot of you may have seen.

What were GM thinking using pipes that just push in with no real seal?
In a perfect world with no movement involved it might work, but on a daily driver?

Well I have ordered a delete kit and will just shove the cooler and pipes in a box somewhere, if I was driving hard I might have plumped for a replacement cooler but I don't see any value in it. :(

Last edited by Gordo-D; 04-24-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Gasoholic

Drives: o
Man, the guy in the video sure complains alot. Yeesh. It's not THAT difficult.

I know a lot of guys are bypassing the stock oil cooler.
Mishimoto has a cooler system that by passes the OE system all together with an external cooler that is completely separate of the radiator.
I thought about doing something like this, but when I did some research I found that oil temps need to run above 210 degres F so that any moisture that accumulates in the oil will evaporate.
According to the guys at Hotrod, oil temps should run as high as 250.
That seems pretty hot to me. But thats what they recommend.http://www.hotrod.com/articles/engine-oil-temperature/

My oil temp with my OE cooler system runs just slightly above boiling point of water. Running about 212 to 215 with an ambient temp of 60degres F.
Haven't noticed it go higher than 220. But from my research it might actually be better if it ran a little warmer.
Just make sure to use a good synthetic oil.
I use AMSOIL signature series 5w-30 full synthetic myself.
Gasoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Gordo-D

Thanks for the link, interesting reading.

I did own a 2001 Bullitt with an intercooled Vortech, and I must admit there was always condensation\gunk in the filler cap if used in the winter for short trips.
Certain engines seem to suffer worse than others.
Never had any in the Camaro but it does warm up a lot faster.

I take mine out for a blast whenever I can and only ever use Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:48 AM   #4
Gordo-D

Of course this leads to one odd thing.

As these coolant lines at the oil cooler [and the one at the block] seem to vent the smell and in a lot of cases leak coolant, then its why the system doesn't get to full pressure.

Mine has only ever gone to a quarter hot on the gauge and even doing the heater core hasn't moved it much, it stands to reason if the coolant isn't getting to temp, is it actually heating the oil to the desired temp anyway?

Mine has never had any pressure in the hoses whatsoever, no doubt it will spring a leak elsewhere.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
The issue of what proper oil temps is one of those forum ear worms, always around. Modern oils, specifically synths, are made to hold together at temps over 250+ for extended periods of time. Those of us that use our cars hard (race tracks, not necessarily 1/4 miles runs) try to do what we can to improve that oil cooling. I chose to augment the OEM excuse for an oil cooler with a hybrid Mishimoto external cooler/thermostatic sandwich plate set up. Tracking the car prior, I was seeing oil temps over 290 for short periods with 90 degree ambient temps. With the cooler (24 row single pass), my temps generally stay about 20 degrees lower. About what I expected for this system.

Around town, my oil temps still get high enough to burn off any moisture that may accumulate, normally staying around 220-230 in stop and go, Phoenix area traffic.

If you don't track your car, OP, then you can get by without a cooler.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #6
BandRcAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I dont have one, temps are on average the same as they were with it. Might invest in an aftermarket one eventually. But with running sythetic oil I'm not worried about 210-230 degree oil.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
Gordo-D

Thanks for the feedback, it is a daily [though a well looked after rarely used daily] and its nice to have some feedback.
I have a very slight coolant leak at the coolant lines and a very small weep of oil at the cooler, I can sort them both out in one job and be happy nothing else leaks.
If it ever gets too hot [unlikely here, ever] I can fit an aftermarket cooler, I have two on the shelf from older builds.