Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Ted should have a thread on here titled " Camaro5 Myth Busters."
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #16
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
Ted should have a thread on here titled " Camaro5 Myth Busters."

Ted is the man.

Also keep in mind that "technically", at least in most cases, adding longtube headers is illegal (Federal regulations don't let you remove or even move the stock catalytic converters until a certain time or amount of mileage has passed). If you want to keep your car street legal (especially in states that do inspections) don't go with longtube headers. If you're not worried about it then I would get them. You make more power and it's safer on the engine since there's less boost.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #17
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
i think I will just sit here with my confused face on! So.....i can go without the headers and it will work but I just wont make as much hp as possible but it is not NECESSARY...however it will cause more stress on the engine because it runs at higher boost levels than the setups with the lt Headers. It seems like as I look more into this supercharger idea, the supercharger is just the first step.......it appears that if I go with the maggie and the lt headers and the CAI, I will also need a boost-a-pump (KB)........the cash register just keeps going !
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #18
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjk7 View Post
i think I will just sit here with my confused face on! So.....i can go without the headers and it will work but I just wont make as much hp as possible but it is not NECESSARY...however it will cause more stress on the engine because it runs at higher boost levels than the setups with the lt Headers. It seems like as I look more into this supercharger idea, the supercharger is just the first step.......it appears that if I go with the maggie and the lt headers and the CAI, I will also need a boost-a-pump (KB)........the cash register just keeps going !
Nothing to be confuse about, Pick your RWHP goal, this will determine products needed to get there.

I have HP packages for every level in 50 hp increments.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #19
BlownSS

I want about 525 rwhp
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
I want about 525 rwhp
Then all you need is a Supercharger package.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #21
Anthony@ARH

Drives: Black s2000, 749 ducati dark
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
When you add boost to an otherwise stock motor, if tuned properly, it will make more power. If all you're after is a little more power and are on a tight budget, your motor will run fine with the stock exhaust.

HOWEVER, if you add long tubes and a free flowing exhaust, you'll make more power on less boost. Any time you can do this, it's a win/win. Less boost = less heat. Less is much better than more when you're trying to keep your engine healthy. High boost does not necessarily mean high power. Boost is simply a measure of restriction of the air going through the motor. The more you compress (boost) air, the more the air gets heated. As your intake air temp rises, your PCM will reduce timing advance. It protects your engine. If you can reduce intake air temps, you can run more timing and make more power.

In short, there's no way I'd be without long tubes and a good flowing exhaust behind the LT's on a boosted motor. If the goal is more power, you really need them.

Well said thank you!
Anthony@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #22
mjorgensen
HYPRVPR

Drives: 2008 Viper coupe
What is the typical gains at the rear wheels for headers and a cat back alone before a S/C? Then what is the gains at the rear wheels they provide with a S/C? Does the return on investment for the headers and install plus the possible additional charge for a custom tune and or fuel system upgrade really make the headers a good investment?

I like headers and believe that if the gains are there per dollar then go for it, but if the cost is $300 plus per HP I would pass IMO.

WMD
mjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #23
BlownSS

I like the way u think MArk! If the tax man cometh with a check, i will be bringing my car to ya!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #24
JBAGREG
Account Suspended

Drives: JBA SUPERSPORT 2SS/RS Vortech Blown
I'm with Anthony on this one.

We added the Vortech V3 blower to the JBA Super Sport first.
We made great power.

We added JBA Long Tubes, High Flow Cats and the 3 inch competition exhaust system
and made even more power.

Here is where it gets better. You can always get more boost.
Add a smaller pulley and now you have all your boost and even more power.

But keep in mind... Your SS has 11.7:1 Compression Ratio.
JBAGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #25
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Quote:
I want about 525 rwhp

Look at my signiture..526 rwhp.
Only addition to my car is the LPE 570 kit, and a borla cat back exhaust.

No headers. Stock Cats.

LPE kit is the 2300 S/C, LPE tune, CAI, KB boost a pump and a few other things LPE does.. like a 3/36 engine warranty. www.lingenfelter.com for more details.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #26
JBAGREG
Account Suspended

Drives: JBA SUPERSPORT 2SS/RS Vortech Blown
I love the LPE combos. Amazing and solid packages.
I played with one of their LS2 Corvettes. What a nice car that was.

I would bet a set of long tubes could get your car from 526RWHP up to 565 RWHP like ours.
These new LS3 are amazing. No Heads, No Cam, No Throttle Body and 650 HP at the Crank. Great work GM.
JBAGREG is offline   Reply With Quote