Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #29
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions ffcobra but I did all those things and still have the noise even though it is faint now to the point where I can stand it I guess. I don't have a lift so I could not inspect the drive shaft very well. I'll continue looking and maybe one day I'll find it or maybe it will just go away.
you are welcome. I hate rattles and squeaks on new cars, it is annoying and disappointing so, I understand what you are feeling. The thing is, once you start not paying attention to it so much, over time, you don't notice it anymore and makes you think it is gone until you listen for it again which you MUST refrain from doing!
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #30
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Well, I'm happy to report the noise is gone...FINALLY! I still have no clue what it was for I never found the smoking gun. The other day on the interstate it was flapping as usual, then for a few seconds, it got louder and louder. Then whatever it was, let go and the noise disappeared and has not returned. Oh well, glad it's gone anyway. Cheers!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #31
crazy cat

Drives: 2011 1ss yellow/white
guys you might want to check this.
xTooltipElement

Service Information

2010 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro (VIN F) Service Manual | Document ID: 2426078
#09-08-48-003A: Creaking/Itching Noise from Lower Windshield Area/Upper Instrument Panel Area (Add Foam Tape to Air Inlet Panel, Re-fit Windshield) - (Mar 29, 2010)

Subject:Creaking/Itching Noise from Lower Windshield Area/Upper Instrument Panel Area (Add Foam Tape to Air Inlet Panel, Re-fit Windshield)

Models:2010 Chevrolet Camaro
Built Prior to October 10, 2009

This bulletin is being revised to add build date information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-08-48-003 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).
<A href="#ss1-2426078">Condition

Some customers may comment on a creaking or itching noise coming from the upper area of the instrument panel. The noise may also be described as coming from the lower windshield area. This noise only occurs when the vehicle is underway. It is not present when the vehicle is idle.
<A href="#ss2-2426078">Cause

This condition may be caused by the following issues:
• The air inlet grille panels not being properly seated, allowing the panels to creak.
• insufficient foam material thickness on the air inlet panels where they contact the windshield. This may allow the panel to contact the glass and itch or creak.
• High spots on the sheet metal in the windshield mounting area which may allow the glass to contact the sheet metal and cause a creaking noise
<A href="#ss3-2426078">Correction

1. <LI type=1>Ensure the air inlet grill panel is fully seated against the lower windshield molding. If the panel is loose, fully seat the panel to the body. Road test the vehicle and verify the condition is corrected. If the condition is not corrected, proceed to the next step. <LI type=1>Remove the air inlet grille panels. Refer to Air Inlet Grille Panel Replacement in SI. <LI type=1>Road test the vehicle and determine if the noise is eliminated by removing the air inlet grille panels. If the condition is corrected by removing the air inlet panels, use the following steps to add additional foam tape to the air inlet panels.

3.1. With the air inlet grille panels removed from the vehicle, apply a 4 mm x 10 mm (3/8 in x 5/32 in) closed cell adhesive-backed foam shim stock as shown. For this application use Kent Industries Part # P46485*, or the equivalent.
    3.2. Reinstall the air inlet grille panels. Refer to Air Inlet Grille Panel Replacement in SI.
    3.3. Road test the vehicle and verify that the condition has been corrected.
    <LI type=1>If the condition is not corrected by the above steps, continue with this procedure.
    Important: The following steps involve removing and reinstalling the windshield glass. If the repairing dealership doesn't have the proper tools and the ability to perform this operation, it is recommended to sublet the glass removal and reinstallation to a qualified automotive glass service.

Important: Before cutting out a stationary window, apply a double layer of masking tape around the perimeter of the painted surfaces and the interior trim.

Warning: When working with any type of glass or sheet metal with exposed or rough edges, wear approved safety glasses and gloves in order to reduce the chance of personal injury.

4.1. Open the hood.
    4.2. Remove the air inlet grille panels. Refer to Air Inlet Grille Panel Replacement in SI.
    4.3. Remove the inside rearview mirror. Refer to Inside Rearview Mirror Replacement in SI.
    4.4. Remove the remote control door receiver antenna. Refer to Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Replacement in SI.
    4.5. Remove the windshield side garnish moldings. Refer to Windshield Side Garnish Molding Replacement in SI.

Warning: If broken glass falls into the defroster outlets, it can be blown into the passenger compartment and cause personal injury.

4.6. From the inside of the vehicle, cut the windshield mounting urethane using an Equalizer® Express® Stingray* 120-volt tool equipped with a Part # BFE-1400 blade, or the equivalent. Follow the tool manufacturer's instructions for the safe and proper operation of this equipment.
    4.7. Remove the windshield glass from the vehicle.

4.8. Inspect the window opening for high spots at the joint where the side frames meet the upper plenum.

4.9. If high spots are found, use a body hammer and appropriate tool to lower the high spot. Ensure the repaired area is flush with the adjacent area when completed.

4.10. Prime the repair area using the urethane primer. Refer to Adhesive Installation of Windshields in SI.
    4.11. Install the windshield glass assembly into the opening. Refer to Adhesive Installation of Windshields in SI.
    4.12. Reinstall the windshield side garnish moldings. Refer to Windshield Side Garnish Molding Replacement in SI.
    4.13. Reinstall the remote control door receiver antenna. Refer to Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Replacement in SI.
    4.14. Reinstall the inside rearview mirror. Refer to Inside Rearview Mirror Replacement in SI.
    4.15. Reinstall the air inlet grille panels. Refer to Air Inlet Grille Panel Replacement in SI.
  2. Road test the vehicle and verify that the condition has been corrected.
* We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products/materials. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for, or assume any responsibility for the products or material from this firm or for any such items that may be available from other sources.
<A href="#ss4-2426078">Parts Information

Part Number
Description
P46485*
Adhesive Backed Shim Stock
*This product is currently available from Kent Industries (1-888-YES-KENT).
<A href="#ss5-2426078">Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
B9888*
Remove and Reinstall Windshield Glass, Repair Sheet Metal
1.5 hrs
B9889*
Install Foam Shim Stock to Air Inlet Grille Panel
0.5 hr
* This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
© 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.
crazy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #32
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Thanks Crazy Cat - I will definitely look into that.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #33
Supercam143

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Inferno Orange
I have had the same condition described in the above posts since day one of owning my vehicle. I have had every TSB including the most recent post where the dealer actually had to remove my windshield and then re-fit it. My problem still exists. The noise I hear does not usually start to become really pronounced until the vehicle gets up over 75 MPH. I was actually told by the dealer that GM will not authorize any more repairs on this problem until the sound can be heard while driving under or at the maximum speed limit in CA.
Supercam143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #34
TheVENOM

Drives: 2016 1SS Black
Any luck fixing this? I too hear the faint metal tapping sound from the lower right front windshield area. Almost sounds like one of those old airconditioners rattling.
Mine starts at about 65mph
TheVENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #35
rallyyellow
The Politician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVENOM View Post
Any luck fixing this? I too hear the faint metal tapping sound from the lower right front windshield area. Almost sounds like one of those old airconditioners rattling.
Mine starts at about 65mph
I think it may also be the vanity mirrors. Those little lids that close them up do rattle when tapped... I can see how they would rattle at high speeds or in bumps (like my situation). I will try removing them and reporting back.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #36
ajs69cam

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I too have the same problem-- Starts around 55mph and then gets louder as you
accelerate-- I've used the cruise control @ 70mph and it's a steady flapping or rattle--
It's been doing this for over 9 months and I'm tired of it -- I've got 26500 miles on
the SHARK and I'M taking it in to the dealership this morning --
I'll let you know what I find out and what they did --
Vin # 7474 -- AJ --
ajs69cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #37
ajs69cam

Dealer called and said that the tech. had to remove the windshield and replace
the " tabs " that hold the glass from hitting the metal molding. They are letting it
dry for the day then will check for rattle or noise on mon.

I'll keep you all posted --- Till then --- Be safe --- AJ
Old 09-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #38
rallyyellow
The Politician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs69cam View Post
Dealer called and said that the tech. had to remove the windshield and replace
the " tabs " that hold the glass from hitting the metal molding. They are letting it
dry for the day then will check for rattle or noise on mon.

I'll keep you all posted --- Till then --- Be safe --- AJ
I figured out my rattle... it was the vanity mirror. Apparently the part that detaches/ attaches to the car is not a perfect fit and it rattles. Some black electrical around that little piece, popping it back in place, and the noise was gone.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #39
ajs69cam

OK --- Got a call from my service manager telling me that my Camaro
was ready -- I asked what was it ?? -- Was told they did everything that was
on the the Bulletin # 09-08-48-003A ( check post #31 above ) -- Rattle gone !!!

Arrived at dealership and asked to test drive the Camaro before I turned in the
rental-- The tech and I got out on the main interstate and there was no rattle
or flapping TILL I accelerated to 63 mph then a vibration started and got louder
as I cruised at 74 mph -- The tech couldn't believe it !! There it was , back again.
He said that he was going to fix it and check on some more Bulletins --
Soooo -- Im back in the rental for now -- ( 6 days )

AJ
Old 09-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #40
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs69cam View Post
OK --- Got a call from my service manager telling me that my Camaro
was ready -- I asked what was it ?? -- Was told they did everything that was
on the the Bulletin # 09-08-48-003A ( check post #31 above ) -- Rattle gone !!!

Arrived at dealership and asked to test drive the Camaro before I turned in the
rental-- The tech and I got out on the main interstate and there was no rattle
or flapping TILL I accelerated to 63 mph then a vibration started and got louder
as I cruised at 74 mph -- The tech couldn't believe it !! There it was , back again.
He said that he was going to fix it and check on some more Bulletins --
Soooo -- Im back in the rental for now -- ( 6 days )

AJ
Downer! :( Please keep us posted.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #41
ajs69cam

Received a call from the Service Manager and he brought me up to date on
what's happening --

The tech. located some of the vibration/rattle in the passenger side of the
front wheel well -- He insulated the area BUT there's still a low sounding vibration
that he expects to be from the heat shield -- Will know more on monday --

I'll keep you all posted -- Till then -- ENJOY YOUR RIDE -- AJ
Old 09-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #42
TheVENOM

Drives: 2016 1SS Black
Any update?
TheVENOM is offline   Reply With Quote