Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Question Adams All-Purpose Cleaner to be used as a machine wash microfiber towel cleaner?

I have a lot of Adams All-Purpose Cleaner (APC) laying around, so I figured I'd ask if their APC can be used in a washing machine to clean my microfiber towels. Is there any downside to using APC instead of purchasing a microfiber revitalizer or specific micro cleaning solution?

Instead of ordering specific micro cleaners, it would be nice to use the APC I have if possible.

Thanks

Last edited by TCAT; 08-23-2013 at 07:56 AM.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
APC isn't going to fluff the towels back up. It's good for soaking as it breaks down chemicals but I wouldn't recommend it. If you don't want to use specific microfiber cleaners you can check out All free and clear. Any reason why you want to avoid microfiber cleaners?
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
APC isn't going to fluff the towels back up. It's good for soaking as it breaks down chemicals but I wouldn't recommend it. If you don't want to use specific microfiber cleaners you can check out All free and clear. Any reason why you want to avoid microfiber cleaners?
Thank you. I wouldn't mind using microfiber cleaners, but I have so much All Purpose Cleaner left over that would be nice to use more quickly than it is currently, and using it as wash for the micros would have been ideal. However, if I need micro cleaners, I have no issue ordering it if that's one of the only ways to properly wash them . I've read Adams frequently asked questions and APC is recommended as a pre soak to remove soiled micros, but I was hoping it would also work as a washing solution by pouring a couple cap fulls in the washer.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Correct. Only use it as a pre-soak. I'd avoid using it as a stand-alone detergent in your washing machine.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
TCAT

Okay, thanks Nick. Will do man.

Last edited by TCAT; 08-23-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
I have a lot of Adams All-Purpose Cleaner (APC) laying around, so I figured I'd ask if their APC can be used in a washing machine to clean my microfiber towels. Is there any downside to using APC instead of purchasing a microfiber revitalizer or specific micro cleaning solution?

Instead of ordering specific micro cleaners, it would be nice to use the APC I have if possible.

Thanks
Probably best you keep it out of the washer... it foams like crazy when agitated and thats not good for most washing machines, especially HE washers.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Thank you. I wouldn't mind using microfiber cleaners, but I have so much All Purpose Cleaner left over that would be nice to use more quickly than it is currently, and using it as wash for the micros would have been ideal. However, if I need micro cleaners, I have no issue ordering it if that's one of the only ways to properly wash them . I've read Adams frequently asked questions and APC is recommended as a pre soak to remove soiled micros, but I was hoping it would also work as a washing solution by pouring a couple cap fulls in the washer.
Using a dye free, scent free detergent will work fine on getting them clean and an added tip during a second rinse is to add white vinegar to it to ensure all the polishing oils and wax is removed. A dedicated microfiber cleaner is certainly not required but can be beneficial.

There are multiple uses though for APC, wheels, tires, fender wells, plastic cleaner, engine bay work, diluting for interior work, adding to car wash soap to chemically strip waxes and sealants before putting another coat on, etc...
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Probably best you keep it out of the washer... it foams like crazy when agitated and thats not good for most washing machines, especially HE washers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
Using a dye free, scent free detergent will work fine on getting them clean and an added tip during a second rinse is to add white vinegar to it to ensure all the polishing oils and wax is removed. A dedicated microfiber cleaner is certainly not required but can be beneficial.

There are multiple uses though for APC, wheels, tires, fender wells, plastic cleaner, engine bay work, diluting for interior work, adding to car wash soap to chemically strip waxes and sealants before putting another coat on, etc...

Excellent stuff. Thanks everyone! I appreciate it.