Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-06-2014, 01:47 AM   #127
WCFB-Russ

Drives: ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
I have stickers inside my car that say "Police Bait Car, Congratulations you're now on Camera".

I also am purchasing a motion sensor camera for my Camaro since I've recently been coming back to my vehicle with 20 year old's hanging out next to it.
Something I just remembered - thanks to your comment there - want to really freak someone out? If you have another car or a friend with a car (some people don't have friends and some don't have friends with cars...) -- get them to drive the car over to your place and park it and sit in the car - with them - or just have them sit out there. Randomly. I say this because I had an incident where a couple of kids (15-17) decided that driving away with my wife's 1996 Camaro convertible would be a good idea. I happened to be sitting in my Equinox next to it and looking something up on my phone when I saw one of the kids approach the door...and i looked at him and shifted enough in the car for it to move. His eyes turned to the movement and saw me looking at him and he just waved and walked away.

Had I not been there they might have taken my wife's car.

But definitely - wireless cameras are a good idea anywhere. Might want to get a dash cam too (like the one used to catch the dealer scumbags breaking the mustang) and put it somewhere that someone wont expect. Maybe it'll record the whole thing.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #128
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
i also consider california to be 3 states. northern(oakland etc, middle(sacremento), and south(la etc)
lolololololololololol
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #129
slakjak1215

Drives: 2014 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
I've caught plenty of people looking at my Camaro. I always get asked what Engine Size it is, and of course when I say V6 they say "really?!?!?!!? oh wow"....

The cool thing is I'm getting an average of 38.9 mpg now after tweaking my mods.

Anyways I always worry about people being haters, and doing destructive things to my daily driver. Problem is I can't watch the car all the time since i'm at work 8 hours of the day. I rely mostly on other citizens, cameras and of course surrounding buildings that can oversee stuff.
What mods do you have to get that? an I4? let me know lol I would love to get that. Personally I don't care if my car gets stolen, but I do hope it gets torn apart if it is stolen because then I can get another one
Old 11-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #130
RockerBox

Drives: 2010 Silverado. Stock height now
I heard of a new trick thieves are using. They have a scanner to record the code frequency of the key fob when you lock your car. If you ever lock your car with the fob and hear the locks cycle more than usual then the thiefs are right near by ready to follow you to where you live and bypass your alarm. Be aware of your surroundings and if you can, take a class and arm yourself for your protection.
RockerBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #131
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm curious as to how these thieves are breaking into all these Camaros without the alarms going off. I've heard they've been using RFID cloners, but not sure. I do know the alarms on our cars suck. Earlier this year, I was parked on the street next to a curb at a friends house and got backed into. I was hit hard enough to require getting a new front bumper and driver side fender, and my alarm never went off...
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Best Time: 12.43 @ 114, 1.99 60' on stock wheels and stock tires
Build Thread
djpelosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #132
bb040

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS red jewl tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS View Post
My 2010 SS was stolen from the Newark area some time after midnight and 9am Friday and ended up in Oakland that afternoon. They took it right out from under my nose no alarm or anything. Luckily for me they didn't rip out the engine they did rip out my ignition and did some interior damage including breaking my glove compartment I don't know why because it wasn't lock but I'm guessing it's to access the wires behind it. And obviously they stole my valuables in the car such as glasses etc. Anyway the car is recovered and sitting at the impound over the weekend until the insurance can fix it up and I gotta pay a big deductible. On top of that my neighbor who parks about 500 feet from my spot who also drives a 2014 SS was stolen the day before mine in broad daylight smh. I'm guessing they stole his car then came back that night to take mine. Now I gotta find out ways to keep my camaro protected once I get it back.

PS As a warning to any camaro owners in the Bay Area, the new camaros are all targets the Newark officer who helped me said there has been about 100 camaros reported stolen since January in the bay and they all end up around Oakland stripped of engine. As the officer put it "the new camaros are like the Acura integra of stolen sports cars now." I honestly would've have never thought my car would've been stolen from in front of my house so be careful guys

sorry bout your loss but hey the voters on the left coast dont think this is a crime worth prison time
Old 11-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #133
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpelosi View Post
I was hit hard enough to require getting a new front bumper and driver side fender, and my alarm never went off...
The car doesn't have a shock/motion sensor. The alarm will only sound if the doors, hood or trunk are opened with the system armed.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #134
WCFB-Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb040 View Post
sorry bout your loss but hey the voters on the left coast dont think this is a crime worth prison time
Really? why you gotta be like that?

Leave politics out of this. FYI I am a "voter on the left coast" and I would love it if people like this were left to rot in prison. You need to check your shit at the door because this is a forum about cars, and a thread about car theft, not your personal political agenda.

Back on topic.

This is how they are doing it - and its probably what they used when I couldn't lock my car doors at the 7/11 (2013 Equinox again):

It's not just GM cars either, lots of them are being broken into by using a small box that basically hacks the computer and unlocks the doors / disarms the alarm.

This is what you have to watch out for now. It's why I say - remove the crank fuse or something so that if they get inside all they can do is take stuff in the car, they can't take the car itself.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #135
hypercarfanatic

Drives: 2013 F-150
What if we set up a hidden battery disconnect? A small switch under the car, or in the engine bay somewhere that cuts all power to the car? No power, no black box?
hypercarfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #136
WCFB-Russ

That's what a hidden kill switch was for. basically a hidden switch that you had to press in addition to turning the key in order to get the car to start.

no one does that on cars anymore because they think their cars safe by the modern technology.

I wonder if anyone here realizes that their car is a rolling computer -- and can be hacked into, get viruses, get destroyed (car would no longer work), etc.

oh and you did see the new GM wi-fi in cars like the malibu? That will enable people to use cars as a sort of roving theft device. think about it. hack the wi-fi on a car, everyone using the wi-fi on the car thinks themselves protected but all the meanwhile someone is listening in and stealing information. if you don't control the router then nothing is safe.

a good example, but omg stupid to post this on youtube:

Old 11-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #137
SacraMaro

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, M6, NPP
Dam sorry to hear about this. I wish you the best

2002 Black on Black Convertible Z/28, M6 History
2002 Sunset Orange Metallic Z/28, M6 History
1981 Gold Berlinetta, Auto History
1976 C10 Stepside, History
SacraMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #138
hypercarfanatic

Drives: 2013 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by black34v6 View Post
That's what a hidden kill switch was for. basically a hidden switch that you had to press in addition to turning the key in order to get the car to start.

no one does that on cars anymore because they think their cars safe by the modern technology.

I wonder if anyone here realizes that their car is a rolling computer -- and can be hacked into, get viruses, get destroyed (car would no longer work), etc.

oh and you did see the new GM wi-fi in cars like the malibu? That will enable people to use cars as a sort of roving theft device. think about it. hack the wi-fi on a car, everyone using the wi-fi on the car thinks themselves protected but all the meanwhile someone is listening in and stealing information. if you don't control the router then nothing is safe.

a good example, but omg stupid to post this on youtube:

Yeah like this^

But more so. I was thinking something along the lines of a total battery disconnect. Nothing on the car would work (on-board computer included), so nothing would be able to access it. But on second though, this would never work - electronic locks, on-board ELECTRONIC security system, and no way to re-connect the system.

So nevermind. But I know that I will be installing a biometric kill switch in mine when I get it
hypercarfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #139
Les7311

Drives: 2017 Zl1 (M6)
Send a message via Yahoo to Les7311
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...motion+dectors

Pull the fuses after you park.....

Try this....
Les7311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #140
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Disconnecting the battery would be a major PITA because not only would you lose your radio settings every time, you would also not be able to use your key fob to unlock the car and would have to use the actual key. I would say install a toggle switch to the power wire going to either the starter or fuel pump and hide it. Much easier than messing with the battery.
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Best Time: 12.43 @ 114, 1.99 60' on stock wheels and stock tires
Build Thread
djpelosi is offline   Reply With Quote