Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
remdds
Floss 'em if you got 'em!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 CGM
Question What would be your FIRST performance upgrade

I love my Camaro! Not being a mechanic however, I don't do my own repairs. I don't have the know how and I don't have the time. I will change the oil, oil filter, air and fuel filters, wiper blades and spend all afternoon on a Sunday washing, waxing, vacuuming, detailing and just generally giving her loving caresses, but not much else. I don't run her on any track. I just drive city streets, racing past soccer moms and stomping on the accelerator pedal only when I am sure the road is clear, straight and free of cops. Don't drive her too hard or all that often. Got her in July 2010 and have put only 3000 miles on her. If you were like me... taking upgrades one step at a time, what would your first performance upgrade be? Why?

[I replaced the stock air intake with a K&N 63 Series Aircharger a week ago]

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, with K&N CAI, CGM w/silver stripes, chromed tail bezels painted, window tint. Wish List: ZL1 (CGM?)

Last edited by remdds; 05-09-2011 at 01:19 PM.
remdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Well, since you have already replaced the C.A.I., the next obvious upgrade is the Cat-Back exhaust system. This will retain the factory powertrain warranty too (except on the exhaust of course). Start researching cat-back exhausts........most people are looking at 304 stainless systems (for corrosion resistance), after that it is pretty much all personal preference of the "sound".
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
I'm in the same process as you, it looks like my first mod will be a muffler delete repalcement with a Magnaflow competition axel back (part number#16582). It will give it a deaper sound but not too much and perhaps a few HP/TQ for $500.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I would do either a cat-back or muffler delete. Keeps the warranty and gives her a bit more of a growl.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
A catback or axleback is usually the next step. We have a ton of nice options at great prices. We like to endorse Solo Performance exhaust systems. They sound tuff as nails and don't drone like some others on the market. They are also more affordable then most, stop by our website and shop around. When your ready email us for a Camaro5 discount and we'll hook you up. If you wanna keep it cheap and simple the old muffler delete doesn't hurt.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by remdds View Post
I love my Camaro! Not being a mechanic however, I don't do my own repairs. I don't have the know how and I don't have the time. I will change the oil, oil filter, air and fuel filters, wiper blades and spend all afternoon on a Sunday washing, waxing, vacuuming, detailing and just generally giving her loving caresses, but not much else. I don't run her on any track. I just drive city streets, racing past soccer moms and stomping on the acclerator pedal only when I am sure the road is clear, straight and free of cops. Don't drive her too hard or all that often. Got her in July 2010 and have put only 3000 miles on her. If you were like me... taking upgrades one step at a time, what would your first performance upgrade be? Why?

[I replaced the stock air intacke with a K&N 63 Series Aircharger a week ago]

LONG TUBE HEADERS and TUNE!!!! Why, because the car reacted to that mod better and than any other single mod I did. If i had to go back an do it all over, i would have done the headers first and most before anything else.

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
I'm in the same process as you, it looks like my first mod will be a muffler delete repalcement with a Magnaflow competition axel back (part number#16582). It will give it a deaper sound but not too much and perhaps a few HP/TQ for $500.
I do not think a catback will add HP/Tq but it will help with the sound. I am going with LT's next.

Good luck on what ever you do.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
remdds

I was thinking along those same lines. Cat-Back exhaust! I'm not looking for HP as much as muscle car rumble. I don't think it would have cost GM any more to put a decent set of pipes on her. At idle, she's supposed to growl like a Tiger and she purrs like a ***** (cat). Ford's GT sounds good... but its a Ford. I was thinking Flowmaster (#817481) Cat-back System 409S, "American Thunder". What is Ford using?
I watched the Flowmaster demo video online and honestly I can't hear much difference. A guy here in town put a wye bypass behind the cat. con. with electically activated butterfly valve and it sounds about the same... so maybe headers first? What are the expected cost differences?
Somebody decide for me.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, with K&N CAI, CGM w/silver stripes, chromed tail bezels painted, window tint. Wish List: ZL1 (CGM?)
Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
+1 to BowlingSS. Personally, I haven't done the muffler change yet because, for the most part, it really isn't a "performance" upgrade. You don't get much of a hp/tq boost on most systems. It'll sound faster but won't be.

Are you worried about your powertrain warranty? If not, Long Tube Headers would be the next step since you already have an aftermarket intake. Almost everyone who has them has needed a tune, which voids your powertrain warranty.

If you are working on a budget or need to keep your warranty intact, then you may want to look at a ported Throttle Body. It's relatively cheap and has shown some good hp/tq gains for the money spent. The other option would be an ADM race scoop installed to work with your K&N intake. It requires some modifications to your front air dam and a new windshield washer bottle but, again, it has some proven hp/tq gains.
Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
remdds

I'm not so much on a limited budget as I don't want to void any warranties. I'd like to get Mr. Goodwrench to cover expences as much as possible for as long as possible. Let's just say I'm cheap.

Thanks for all the input guys!!! Appreciate it!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Definitely an exhaust upgrade. The car is way too quite with OEM exhaust.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
skip shift and sub-frame inserts for me.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Drives: 2010 2SS White
Wheels and tires, cause every Camaro looks the same until you put your own touch on it.

Jason
Jason7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
For me it will be suspension to tighten everything up and to prevent wheelhop. After it handles like it is on rails it will be shifter, cold air intake, headers, exhaust.....

Tags
upgrade