Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
ya boy willz

Drives: 2011 IOM LS, 2011 CGM LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
Just Plasti-Dip your hood for now to see how you like it, and if you dont just Peeeellllll it off!!!!! LMAO! But is an idea!
Plasti-Dip FTW

I think it would look good with an un-painted CF hood. You should go for it

2011 CGM LS- Injen CAI, Vmax Ported TB, Vmax Black Ice O'Lator, Carbon Fiber Bowties, Carbon Fiber Gills, Factory Spoiler, Stock SS Exhaust w/ Magnaflow x-pipe welded in & stock muffler delete, Miro 112 18x8.5 +35
ya boy willz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #16
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
You need more black and CF if you go with that hood. You got the wheels, you should probably do your roof and trunk as well, along with a black body kit.

You have to be careful with CF because it needs to be balanced. Like cars with just a cf hood or just a cf trunk or just cf side mirrors look strange. You gotta back it up with more CF BUT not overdue it and make everything CF.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #17
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
I agree with you, and that's probably why it's such a hard decision. .
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #18
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
I agree with you, and that's probably why it's such a hard decision. .
If money is an issue, as it would be for me, (hate spending mad money on CF), you could order some of that CF wrap in large pieces and wrap your trunk and roof. It would be much cheaper and as someone who has it on my bow ties, I wouldnt hesitate to wrap any other part of the car with it. It looks great...

Personally, Id get the hood, CF wrap the trunk, leave the roof alone, and get unpainted black GFX or some other body kit. That would look sick...
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #19
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
i'd do the CF hood and trunk, then wrap the roof!
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #20
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
The roof isn't painted black. It's wrapped in the dry carbon vinyl that's on the "stripe" down the center of the hood.

They don't look good together imho. If you're going to get the CF hood, either just clear coat it, or paint it and leave pockets visible. Just don't expect to drive in the rain with that hood.

I had the idea to leave my carbon fiber visible in the shape of a single stripe, and painted around it, but because I have real carbon fiber, I would never put any dry carbon vinyl on the car because it just looks very tacky together IMVHO.

I have the CF trunk as well to complete the stripe. =)

If you're going to Bakersfield on Saturday, we'll talk there.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #21
TCAT

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. This is giving me a lot to think about. I walked outside and looked at my car and really enjoy the way it looks being all white on the body with white chevy emblems as well. So, I think I want to keep that look. I happen to like the "clean" look more than having stripes of any sort on the car. I DO like stripes, just not as much as a clean looking all one color hood. However, know I am thinking to either paint the whole hood white. Or, I was thinking to paint the whole hood white, and only have the carbon fiber show through on along the hood where cowl hood rises like this (these pics were posted by another camaro5 member):

Old 06-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #22
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
The roof isn't painted black. It's wrapped in the dry carbon vinyl that's on the "stripe" down the center of the hood.

They don't look good together imho. If you're going to get the CF hood, either just clear coat it, or paint it and leave pockets visible. Just don't expect to drive in the rain with that hood.

I had the idea to leave my carbon fiber visible in the shape of a single stripe, and painted around it, but because I have real carbon fiber, I would never put any dry carbon vinyl on the car because it just looks very tacky together IMVHO.

I have the CF trunk as well to complete the stripe. =)

If you're going to Bakersfield on Saturday, we'll talk there.
Thanks Mindz. I wish I could go to the Bakersfield meet on Saturday but I have to work. I've seen your car online, and I've been wanting check put what you've done with it. It looks fantastic, and I bet it performs just as great with that blower on it .
Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #23
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

It's a dream. I'll be sure to take lots of pics. Any particular angles you want?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #24
TCAT

I would love to see some side pictures of it, as well as rear pics taken from a bit higher to see how the CF trunk ties in. That'd be awesome! Thanks a ton.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #25
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

You got it. I'll try to get some elevated shots.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #26
jmart53

Drives: 2012 Cruze LTZ RS
Is the trunk really black in that pic.. I can't tell...

I also have a SW Camaro and am looking to do this as well.

I am in the process of getting wraps estimated for my roof and hood(I might also go with T3 stripes though instead of the whole hood done) but I can't tell if the trunk should be wrapped then to or leave that all white? Any input or better pics of SW cars like this with the black hood and roof? I've been searching for a while now lol

Thanks!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #27
Rickerbucks
HP addict

Drives: 2 SS RS,
I have a CF Siebon hood and a custom trunk. The roof and trunk were hand layered with CF and coated in expoxy and MANY coats of clear. Unfortunately...something did not go right and the roof and trunk will need to be re-done in the winter. (You can see a milkiness in a couplke of these pictures)

I would not recommend a custom trunk... go with a Siebon. I was going to get Siebon but they were on back order until the second coming.

It is VERY, VERY difficicult to hand layer CF and have it look perfect. Be prepared. (My Dad in the first picture). I very happy with the overall look of the car but as i say, getting the hand layered CF to be perfect is tricky and time consuning (and thus expensive)
Attached Images

Follow my 2013 One Lap Of America Blog here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/ShaunAnd...page_new_likes

2014 Jeep SRT 8 - stock
2010 Challenger SRT 8 - stock
2007 Charger SRT8 Super Bee - not stock at all.
Rickerbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #28
TCAT

Rickerbucks, I just looked at your build thread and it's AMAZING. Fantastic looking car! I would love to be able to take on an endeavor like that.

Thank you for the advice. It's good to know you have the experience with carbon fiber under your belt. I think with all the advice from yourself and other members, I have decided to get a carbon fiber hood but paint the whole thing white. There will be no striping of any sort, and there won't be any carbon fiber still showing since I don't have any other black pieces on the body of the car. I'm going for a clean an universal look. I trying to decide between:

1.) IVS AMS hood
2.) Seibon TS hood

Have you had any experience with the company IVS and hoods (or known anyone that has)? Also, how did you like the Seibon hood? In your thread, you explained that it required a lot of work to get the bottom of the hood to look stock, but was the fit and finish good, or was it more work than it's worth?

Thanks!