Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #15
southerncarparts

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
The Borla Exhaust have been HUGE sellers...Since they are so popular and I get the same questions, I wanted to share some thoughts before you make a decision on which one to go with...

There are several flavors for the Camaro now.....
In the ATAK Series you have the
Camaro ATAK CatBack Exhaust System

Camaro Axleback ATAK Exhaust
Camaro ATAK Catback Exhaust for Camaros with Ground Effects Package
Camaro ATAK Axleback Exhaust for Camaros with Ground Effects Package

Then you have the Borla Camaro Catback Touring System (which does not sound much different than stock. For the person who wants the increased performance with no additional change in exhaust note)

and then in the Borla Sport lineup (which is my favorite)...
Camaro Borla Sport Catback
Camaro Borla Sport Axleback Exhaust

and the only 3" Borla system (OEM system and the other above systems are 2.5")
Borla 3" Camaro Sport Catback Exhaust If you get the 3" system, you will also want to get a new Camaro Billet Tunnel Brace as the 3" system will most likely touch your OEM tunnel Plate and rattle, which will drive you nuts!!!

Some thoughts before purchasing any of them.....

All of the Axle back systems require cutting them OEM system (which i am not a fan of, just in case you ever want to go back to stock). There is also one more "dirty"secret about the Axelbacks which needs to be known....When you install the Axleback it leaves in place the OEM Pre Muffler that is up towards the middle of the car. Not a big deal, but it DOES change the exhaust note slightly as compared to the Catback systems and does not make the system a true dual exhaust as the Catback does.

Both Axle Back and Catback systems are great systems and make a huge improvement in sound, but if you can afford to spring for the extra cash, do it right and get the Catback.

From a sound perspective, you have the touring which sound not much different than stock. Then the Sport (my favorite) which bumps it up a notch from the sound perspective, but not too much. At the ATAK which is the most aggressive sounding of them all.

All of Borla's systems are awesome, but thought prospective shoppers would want to know the down and dirty on each one...

See ya,

Jim
southerncarparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #16
KDInTheWind63

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM, LS3 - 2SS SIM, L99
Send a message via Yahoo to KDInTheWind63
I got the ATAK Axle back and i am very pleased with the sound and performance of the exhaust. I also like the Tips as well.

KDInTheWind63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #17
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDInTheWind63 View Post
I got the ATAK Axle back and i am very pleased with the sound and performance of the exhaust. I also like the Tips as well.

Glad to hear you like it! The ATAK is my personal favorite exhaust for the Camaro, also. The sound on it is incredible, there's no doubt about that!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #18
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Jim:
Great post. It was very helpful to me. Nice that you took the time to explain the differences for those of us (me) that don't know that much about our cars (still learning something new everyday). I appreciate the "layman's" terms on your thread. Lori
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #19
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncarparts View Post

..When you install the Axleback it leaves in place the OEM Pre Muffler that is up towards the middle of the car. Not a big deal, but it DOES change the exhaust note slightly as compared to the Catback systems and does not make the system a true dual exhaust as the Catback does.
Are you saying the stock system is not a true dual exhaust? I don't believe this is an accurate statement.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #20
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Are you saying the stock system is not a true dual exhaust? I don't believe this is an accurate statement.
Well, I guess it depends on what you call a "Dual Exhaust"...The OEM system drops down from the exhaust manifolds and then comes together into a common premuffler chamber (dual pipe in this muffler are no longer existent). The out the back of the pre muffler it goes back into a dual exhaust and out the rear.

The Borla system removes the pre muffler completely and stays as two separate pipes all the way back to the mufflers. So it is truly dual exhaust all the way from front to rear.

Sure you can call the OEM System "dual exhaust" but it is Not a true dual exhaust for the entire length of the system. It is dual, then into a large common muffler (no longer dual at this point), the dual again out of the muffler into a dual configuration again.

So accurate or inaccurate, just calling it as I see it and my understanding of a true dual exhaust (not saying I am the expert by any means )

Let me know why you think I am incorrect? I am certainly open to understanding better what dual exhaust means or does not mean..

Thanks,

Jim
Old 08-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #21
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Well, I guess it depends on what you call a "Dual Exhaust"...The OEM system drops down from the exhaust manifolds and then comes together into a common premuffler chamber (dual pipe in this muffler are no longer existent). The out the back of the pre muffler it goes back into a dual exhaust and out the rear.

The Borla system removes the pre muffler completely and stays as two separate pipes all the way back to the mufflers. So it is truly dual exhaust all the way from front to rear.

Sure you can call the OEM System "dual exhaust" but it is Not a true dual exhaust for the entire length of the system. It is dual, then into a large common muffler (no longer dual at this point), the dual again out of the muffler into a dual configuration again.

So accurate or inaccurate, just calling it as I see it and my understanding of a true dual exhaust (not saying I am the expert by any means )

Let me know why you think I am incorrect? I am certainly open to understanding better what dual exhaust means or does not mean..

Thanks,

Jim
Okay, I see where you are coming from now. I guess I just don't see the pre muffler as something that would cause it not to be a dual exhaust, but the more I think about it calling it a TRUE dual exhaust is probably wrong. Thanks for enlightening me.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #22
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Do you have a pic of this pre muffler. My LS3 does not have any pre muffler. It is true dual all the way back. Now it has some resonators, but no premuffler.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #23
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I just wanted to add my experience with my Borla Touring catback exhaust. I put it on with Kooks LT 1 7/8" headers with high flow cats. This combination is considerably louder than stock, but not outrageously loud. When I start the car, I do get a lot of oooohs and ahhhhhs. I also do not get that nasty popping that some exhausts give.

What I wanted from this combination was some growl on start up and under throttle. Yet, I also wanted the cabin to be fairly quiet when cruising so I can hear my music and carry on a conversation. I didn't want the car to be annoying to cruise in. I got EXACTLY what I wanted. I love this combination.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #24
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Just found my answer. The L99 has the pre-muffler. The LS3 does not. LS3 is a true dual exhaust.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...cs+ls3+exhaust
Old 08-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #25
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Just found my answer. The L99 has the pre-muffler. The LS3 does not. LS3 is a true dual exhaust.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...cs+ls3+exhaust
That is perfect.....thanks....helps me out also!!!

Thanks

Jim
Old 08-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #26
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
That is perfect.....thanks....helps me out also!!!

Thanks

Jim
You are welcome!!!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #27
southerncarparts

The Borla Exhaust have been HUGE sellers...Since they are so popular and I get the same questions, I wanted to share some thoughts before you make a decision on which one to go with...

There are several flavors for the Camaro now.....
In the ATAK Series you have the
Camaro ATAK CatBack Exhaust System

Camaro Axleback ATAK Exhaust
Camaro ATAK Catback Exhaust for Camaros with Ground Effects Package
Camaro ATAK Axleback Exhaust for Camaros with Ground Effects Package

Then you have the Borla Camaro Catback Touring System (which does not sound much different than stock. For the person who wants the increased performance with no additional change in exhaust note)

and then in the Borla Sport lineup (which is my favorite)...
Camaro Borla Sport Catback
Camaro Borla Sport Axleback Exhaust

and the only 3" Borla system (OEM system and the other above systems are 2.5")
Borla 3" Camaro Sport Catback Exhaust If you get the 3" system, you will also want to get a new Camaro Billet Tunnel Brace as the 3" system will most likely touch your OEM tunnel Plate and rattle, which will drive you nuts!!!

Some thoughts before purchasing any of them.....

All of the Axle back systems require cutting them OEM system (which i am not a fan of, just in case you ever want to go back to stock). There is also one more "dirty"secret about the Axelbacks which needs to be known....When you install the Axleback it leaves in place the OEM Pre Muffler that is up towards the middle of the car. Not a big deal, but it DOES change the exhaust note slightly as compared to the Catback systems and does not make the L99 system a true dual exhaust as the Catback does.

Both Axle Back and Catback systems are great systems and make a huge improvement in sound, but if you can afford to spring for the extra cash, do it right and get the Catback.

From a sound perspective, you have the touring which sound not much different than stock. Then the Sport (my favorite) which bumps it up a notch from the sound perspective, but not too much. At the ATAK which is the most aggressive sounding of them all.

All of Borla's systems are awesome, but thought prospective shoppers would want to know the down and dirty on each one...

See ya,

Jim
Old 08-30-2010, 11:59 PM   #28
CRAMOS78
Gig'em Aggies

Drives: 1992 RS 6.0 LSA swap; 2015 Z28
what about Borla LT's?
Any comments on those?
CRAMOS78 is offline   Reply With Quote