Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
MGW shifter install - is it a DIY?

I got an MWG short shifter and gripper handle for my birthday (so excited!), but I was just wondering if this was worth trying to do myself or if there are any complications not mentioned in the instructions? A little bit about myself, it would take me about 3 years to figure out how to build a birdhouse so I just want to know if this install is something I shouldn't even consider myself or if it's easy. Thanks!
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
DIY Hurst Short Throw Shifter Install - Pix and Video

It's not an MGW - but the install is the same.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
I was pretty sure Hurst only replaced the handle whereas MGW replaced the whole system? Either way, even just the Hurst looks like a nightmare, I might outsource this badboy. The only reason I was considering trying it myself is because the reputable shop in the area wants $350 for the install
Offer to pay in cash if they'll give you a discount. You'd be surprised how many shops don't mind giving you 10-15% off if you pay in cash.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Thanks for the advice I'll probably just go with that. It would be expensive enough to get the tools and jack/jack stands not to mention the possibility of screwing it up and having to go to them anyway
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
It really isn't that hard if you have a set of jack stands and a little patience. MGW has a very thorough two part video on YouTube.

Part 1

Part 2

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
McBeevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
Jmar

Drives: 2012 LS3 CRM, V8 Healey, Mini
I received mine last Tuesday and took it out of the box today. They have made a few revisions, and the changes in the installation process are different from the Youtube video. The changes should be in the box with the kit, so if you take it to a shop that's "done this before" call their attention to the new instructions so they don't bend things in the process.

First, you don't have to level it now that they have roll pins to set the angle with the front legs. This makes it easier to install. New bushes are installed so you don't need to take the original ones off the support legs and transfer them to the new ones. Second, DON'T tighten/install the rear mount until the trans is raised - problably due to the aforementioned roll pins/legs being in place and tightened. The DVD instructs us to leave the legs loose until after we tighten the rear mount - skip this. Finally, there is a new piece that holds the boot to the tunnel - I believe that it goes under the tunnel and pinches the MGW dust boot to keep it in place. They also recommend that we use the supplied Dynamat piece to keep the E-brake lever quiet. I'm guessing that the lever can make noise, leading the user to believe that it's the shifter when it's the brake lever. It requires you to take of an additional trim piece off the center console to get to the brake. If you can't build a birdhouse, you may be able to find a Camaro friend with skills to help with this project. I've paid many of my car club friends with food or trade favors when they help me with my other car. I hope this helps.
Jmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
its very easy, I put mine in in about an hour or so
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
lsuguy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I did mine on my back using my race ramps. It wasn't ideal but its doable. The hardest part is removing the two clips that hold the factor arms in place. Outside of that its easy.
lsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
papawattz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS +2014 El Tigre
Pretty straight forward Install!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuguy View Post
I did mine on my back using my race ramps. It wasn't ideal but its doable. The hardest part is removing the two clips that hold the factor arms in place. Outside of that its easy.

I installed mine about a year and a half ago and it was a pretty straight forward install. I would definatly recommend watching the video! keep the video handy during the install as well, you'll have to go back to it a couple of times. I love my MGW shifter now, at first it was a little notchy and a little hard to get used to, but after a couple hundred miles it starts to shift smoother! The only real issue I have is the gripper knob tends to buzz and rattle a little(mostly when it's cold out)? Hardest part of the install? Like what Isuguy said, the two clips!!!!!
papawattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
SGNL99

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
Yeah it was a good DIY project. The only thing that kicked my butt was removing the two pins from the stock shifter. A few beers later they came out, but I'm not gonna lie, I started getting pissed about the second one. Honestly once those are I out the rest is a breeze.
CAI Black Intake w/ Apex scoop & ww bottle kit; VMAX throttle body; Borla S-type Cat back exhaust; Skip shift eliminator; Elite Engineering catch can; MGW short throw shifter; Stainless Works LT Headers w/ Hi-Flow cats and one awesome JRE TUNE! BMR stage 2 suspension; 3.91 gears
SGNL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
I did it with a lift...and it isnt easy at all. Its like 2 to 3 hrs at east. I am just saying. Some people are faster then others. But I hated the install. The feel is worth it though
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
freefallin2005

Drives: 2017 rally yellow ss
I just got mine yesteray, there are new instructions now. we use new bushings that are in the shifter instead of old ones, and we use the oem shift pin and now we tighten the arms down. Other than that it looks pretty straight forward, mine will be going in tomorrow
freefallin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
Jmar

Drives: 2012 LS3 CRM, V8 Healey, Mini
I installed mine today using a lift. It took about 3 hours. The tough part is aligning the pin/leg on the passenger side. Don't attach it to the shifter so you'll have wiggle room to line up the holes/pin. I fought with this for a while until removed it from the shifter. Everything else was easy.
Jmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Install is easy, the dvd supplied was great.