Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-14-2019, 08:48 AM   #1
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
HOW MUCH POWER WILL A 6L80E HOLD

We get this question a lot so we did a video to better explain it, Enjoy!

JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
As much as you want, until it doesn't any more. Same as any other transmission.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Thanks for the video Ted!
Curious how much $$$ a TCM HP tune usually runs. Car has been tuned just not sure tranny feels right. Feel free to PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Thanks for the video Ted!
Curious how much $$$ a TCM HP tune usually runs. Car has been tuned just not sure tranny feels right. Feel free to PM.
Like I said in the video I have to tune both.

I would never sell a trans tune only.

Ted.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
Tajefe Couple

Of course, car has been professionally tuned so was just hoping to concentrate on the transmission though if possible?
Old 06-15-2019, 10:36 PM   #6
Crankshaft

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro ss
Quote:
Of course, car has been professionally tuned so was just hoping to concentrate on the transmission though if possible?
I think he means that HE has to tuned both so that the tuning works hand in hand instead of tuning blindly without knowing what the other tuner did. If he tunes only the TCM and something happens, who would you blame? He wants to limit the risk by doing HIS calibration on both units.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:23 PM   #7
Tajefe Couple

Thanks, think I get what he was saying. Understand that the engine has to be tuned to match up with shift points and pressure. Just meant it is running great, was just hoping to ease the hard shifts. To do that if I understood correctly would have to look at engine torque management and what ever else the pros do. Not just the transmission.
Appreciate the reply!
Current tunes not bad so not a big deal
Old 06-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
I think he means that HE has to tuned both so that the tuning works hand in hand instead of tuning blindly without knowing what the other tuner did. If he tunes only the TCM and something happens, who would you blame? He wants to limit the risk by doing HIS calibration on both units.
Quote:
Thanks, think I get what he was saying. Understand that the engine has to be tuned to match up with shift points and pressure. Just meant it is running great, was just hoping to ease the hard shifts. To do that if I understood correctly would have to look at engine torque management and what ever else the pros do. Not just the transmission.
Appreciate the reply!
Current tunes not bad so not a big deal
This is exactly what I allude to in the video.

Just because your car was tuned professionally, and it runs good does not mean it was tuned in an OEM fashion that makes the engine and transmission play nice together.

Different tuners have different styles, this does not mean there is anything wrong with it but, if there is it can have a trickle down effect on other things.

And Crankshaft hit the nail on the head.

Ted.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
ruby2010

Drives: 2010ss
Two part question. Do handheld tuners like the sct x4 tune in a oem fashion.

And also why not to bypass the factory rad cooler. From my understanding the factory gauge reads inside tranny temps ( seems all 6l80's run 180) So I can see the rad cooler not making the the fluid any hotter but cooler. Does it provide enough to keep in series with a second cooler? or seems most guys will bypass the factory and claim cooler temps
ruby2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

The SCT X4 doesn't do any tuning it is simply a transfer device of what I write with the software.

It does do a full image reflash of the said calibration file.

Because heat transfers from liquid to liquid faster than liquid to air and when the converter is making heat the rad can take out the brunt of it quickly then the aux cooler than handle the rest.

Ted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby2010 View Post
Two part question. Do handheld tuners like the sct x4 tune in a oem fashion.

And also why not to bypass the factory rad cooler. From my understanding the factory gauge reads inside tranny temps ( seems all 6l80's run 180) So I can see the rad cooler not making the the fluid any hotter but cooler. Does it provide enough to keep in series with a second cooler? or seems most guys will bypass the factory and claim cooler temps
Old 07-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #11
ruby2010

Drives: 2010ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The SCT X4 doesn't do any tuning it is simply a transfer device of what I write with the software.

It does do a full image reflash of the said calibration file.

Because heat transfers from liquid to liquid faster than liquid to air and when the converter is making heat the rad can take out the brunt of it quickly then the aux cooler than handle the rest.

Ted.
Ok thanks. Went to your site and saw it’s 399 for the sctx4 and that includes your tune. Also what Do you charge for a Dyno tune? Is that worth it over a canned tune on a stock
Car? Thanks
ruby2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:36 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby2010 View Post
Ok thanks. Went to your site and saw it’s 399 for the sctx4 and that includes your tune. Also what Do you charge for a Dyno tune? Is that worth it over a canned tune on a stock
Car? Thanks
It includes a FREE tune if your car has simple bolt ons like CAI and CAt back system

Any other mods will carry small tuning charges.

Dyno tuning is billed by the hour depending on what list of mods you have and how long it takes.

If you fall into the free tune category there is no benefit to dyno tuning I have these tunes nailed.

Ted.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #13
butters

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
thanks for posting this video. to push 800whp, would you recommend a built 6l80 or do a 6l90 swap? which would be more budget friendly?
Old 10-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
thanks for posting this video. to push 800whp, would you recommend a built 6l80 or do a 6l90 swap? which would be more budget friendly?
We build the 6L80E for this but tuning must also be done for it.

Ted.