Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-09-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
tazman

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Cold air intake

Hello,

I'm fairly sure I will go with the Roto-Fab cold air intake color matched to the car like I did on my 6 cylinder once I track down where I can get the best price. My main question is whether I should use the big gulp scoop on the bottom or one of the generic ones like I did on the other car? The generic scoops look like they let more air in to the filter since you have to cut out some of the material to make the opening bigger in the facia. It seems like the ZL1 gets hotter quicker and I am concerned once the summer heat comes here in AZ.

Thanks
Tom
Old 01-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
I don't know, but I just used stock. I'm no expert, but I'm thinking in +100' drawing in more "hot air" won't solve your potential ambient temperature problem...better cooling will.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
Hello,

I'm fairly sure I will go with the Roto-Fab cold air intake color matched to the car like I did on my 6 cylinder once I track down where I can get the best price. My main question is whether I should use the big gulp scoop on the bottom or one of the generic ones like I did on the other car? The generic scoops look like they let more air in to the filter since you have to cut out some of the material to make the opening bigger in the facia. It seems like the ZL1 gets hotter quicker and I am concerned once the summer heat comes here in AZ.

Thanks
Tom
Allowing more air in at 100 degrees + the blower heat/temp doesn't fix the issue. The car isn't going to run well at those temps unless you are cooling the air coming in.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
BlackWidow24

Drives: ZL-1 653rwhp/640rwtq
If I were you, I'd also look into the New Era Performance intake or rpm's intake as both remove the windshield washer reservoir and places the filter in the best spot for the coolest/freshest air IMO.
BlackWidow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
IIRC, RotoFabs Big Gulp includes a lever that you can adjust from the front of the car to adjust the direction of the airflow. In one position you can direct a majority of the additional air to the front brakes if you are on a road course??
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
tazman

I purchased the car as my only car so no plans for racing or anything. I figured having the scoop would be better because fresh air while driving even at hot temperature is better than having the hot air from around the engine. I understand what ZMENOW is saying about cooling the air but unless there is something I'm not aware of besides meth injection which I don't think using on a car for every day driving is very practical. I would like to learn about all of my options.

Black Widow 24th my concern with the New Era intake is that it does not get separated from the engine bay.

HDRDTD it does have the lever but the generic scoops look like they let more air in to me.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Keep in mind that the RotoFab intake seals against the bottom of the hood when it's closed, so it doesn't really draw air directly from the engine compartment.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #8
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
I got here in july and have not had any issues in normal driving, mine is a dd as well. If really want to cool your iats down, look into interchillers.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
tazman

Well I'm not really trying to cool the air intake temperature, I think there is a benefit in using a CAI and I like to do things best I can which is why I put the scoop on my V6. I was just curious if people thought one style scoop would be better then the other. The Big Gulp looks like the intake area is smaller to me.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #10
crazydave

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
Well I'm not really trying to cool the air intake temperature, I think there is a benefit in using a CAI and I like to do things best I can which is why I put the scoop on my V6. I was just curious if people thought one style scoop would be better then the other. The Big Gulp looks like the intake area is smaller to me.

I have it, I use it. Did I see enough of a difference in IATs when i installed it to recommend it to others? Not really. I think the $200 is better spent elsewhere. If you pull the front bumper you will see that there is a scoop that already channels air into the Rotofab compartment from the front grill. After many test runs, I see 0 difference between the 2 positions at the track, so i just leave it in the 50/50 all the time. The engine can only pull so much air through the TB.
Current Mods: Rotofab CAI, Big Gulp, and Res. ATI Superdamper and 10" Lower, DSX FF Sensor, DSX Aux Fuel Pump, ID850s, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, Forced Induction Interchiller, McLeod RTX Twin disk. DSX Tuned. Running on 20" MT ET Street SS on stock wheels for the strip.

Best 1/4 mile to date:10.81 @130.43 mph w/ 1.61 60'

Just added: Jokerz Stage II blower port and FI Interchillers blower lid spacer.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #11
tazman

Thanks for the input Dave I did notice the stock air box pulls from the front grill up high.