Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
BreakingBad
MAGA

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Hit a deer :( Need some questions answered..

So, to spare everyone I'll leave out the gritty details but I ended up hitting a deer @ about 35MPH (had no chance to avoid) - tore up the front end. Need a new bumper, grille, headlight, hood, etc.

Anyway, here's my question..

After the accident, during acceleration I noticed that it 'sounded' different. It definitely was not the typical 'noise' that you hear every day you use the car and accelerate. In such an accident (head-on with an object), what could possibly be wrong with the engine, if anything? The sound was almost as if there was more 'strain' on the engine. I may have just been upset hearing things, but I swear something changed after that hit head on.

The car is in the shop, and aside from them just scoping out the obvious physical damage (such as hood, grille, headlights, etc.) what should I ask the techs to look for in regards to engine damage? Could something have been knocked loose during the impact? Any sort of diagnostics they can run to ensure there are no issues?

Also, here's another odd concern. Many Camaro owners have complained of noises in the rear of the car, almost like 'bumping' noises or 'knocking' noises. I would notice this after I would put the car in park, I'd hear a few slight 'knocks' in the rear and would forget about it. About a year ago I was rear ended, and they replaced the bumper. Well, after this most recent accident, when I parked the car the knocking was so obvious I knew something was out of place - it was very, very apparent as opposed to prior to the accident when it was very faint, but noticeable.

I guess it boils down to what can I tell the body shop to investigate/check to ensure that other areas of the car - engine/suspension/etc - were not damaged or are in 100% working condition?

Things get more convoluted because I had an insurance company direct repair facility do my rear-end accident repairs a year ago, and where the bumper meets the rear quarter panels it's not 'aligned' correctly, probably because they used an aftermarket bumper (i'm guessing). I just want to make sure that aside from the cosmetic end of things that the car doesn't have any overlooked areas that head on (or even rear end) accidents can cause, internally.
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Sorry about your accident! At least you're okay. Deer can really eff up your car, that's for sure...

Regarding that noise, it could literally be anything. Just a little bit of front end damage can completely throw off the delicate balance of your engine, causing all kinds of noise possibilities. And, of course, it can throw anything off in the front end part of your suspension. I'm sure you'll get some specifics here from some of the great mechanics on this forum, but most people are going to tell you that with a front end collision, your engine and suspension can get all out of whack pretty easily. Good luck with the repair.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
AN impact sends a shock wave through the car you may have loosened a fitting on the exhaust or had some thing happen to things that could shift from a impact.......cars have lots of small parts.... Hopefully its not a big issue but could become one. On the rear end knock its it more a metallic ping or a knock? And is the car running or not? The cars exhaust system when the car is not running hot and when turned off will make metallic sounds as it cools and the metal shrinks back to size sort of pings or knocks, also many have had issues with a loose exhaust hanger near the rear axles. Knocking is not good so you need to know exactly where the sound is coming from.... It could be what are known as ujoints or constant velocity joints that are shot and have slop in them settling in as you put the car in park as bearings will fall out of joints if they have the seal damaged or there is a bad failure. Or you could be one of the people who have a rear end problem..... It really sounds like you need someone who knows their stuff to look over your car carefully. Good luck
Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
Pictures would help. As they said, front end collisions can be anything but we may be able to see if things were moved what could be affected. There isn't a ton of room from the fans and belts etc.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
The insurance co will screw you and say that the damage you're detecting is not from your collision, and therefore not covered.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
DavidW

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
The insurance co will screw you and say that the damage you're detecting is not from your collision, and therefore not covered.
he has a 2012 , assuming he still has warranty; insurance and warranty can fight it out if an issue can be detected
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
he has a 2012 , assuming he still has warranty; insurance and warranty can fight it out if an issue can be detected
Ins. Cos don't get rich from writing checks. They are not going to assume responsibility unless it is direct damage.

Whether or not it can be termed a warranty issue is separate. If it is not warranteed, that doesn't force the Ins Co to pay up, and if Ins. won't pay that doesn't force GM to pay up. I'm sorry but I don't see how your fight between insurance and warranty even happens.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
buck or doe?
batman53201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Could be a cracked airbox, they are right behind the headlight.

Usually an insurance approved repair comes with a lifetime warranty. Ask them to realign the rear bumper.

A mountain out of a molehill

First time in 25 years of driving I've heard of a lifetime warranted insurance repair.

And I'm hoping your opinion is correct, that it's no big deal. But in my experience, insurance companies will not pay out unless the damage is directly related to the incident which incurred the loss. I guess in other places, insurance is much friendlier than it is here in MA.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
jasonfichter

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Use up almost all of the fuel in the tank and then repeat what you did to hear the knocking and let me know if you heard it again.
jasonfichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Knocking/ bumping noise could be deer zombies ?
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
The ghost of DEER PAST <<<
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
First time in 25 years of driving I've heard of a lifetime warranted insurance repair.

geico does it if you use their preferred shop. don't know about others and a lot depends on your insurance. insurance companies make money by bringing in more than they pay out, not paying as little as possible. a lot of people shop for insurance by price, then bitch about shitty or low budge repairs when they have an accident. . as for the OP's question, I go with the airbox idea. if you did something to the engine you'd almost certainly throw a CEL. those things come on for the slightest reason.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #14
Travis104

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I hit a deer a month ago in my 13 ZL1. It needs a bumper, passenger fender, grille, headlight, and some other odds and ends. The radiator support was bent a little, and the fuse box was broken.
I would check under the hood just to see if anything under there is messed up. Still made it to the dyno day though...lol
Travis104 is offline   Reply With Quote