Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 04-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS, A8, Sunroof
Angry Water spots on windshield!

I bought our 2SS within a day or two of it being delivered to the dealership and from what I could tell, it hadn't been fully cleaned before being put out on the lot. I had the car for three days before finishing the paperwork so I didn't detail it myself until the next day (about two weeks ago). Which translates to about 4 days that I drove it with the spots on the windshield and who knows how long before I bought it that the windows went without being treated/cleaned.

I simply cannot get the water spots on the windshield off . I have tried Invisible Glass Water Spot Polish, I have tried a clay bar, I am about to try 0000 steel wool as a last resort but I'm thinking I should go back and give the dealer a chance to get them off since they were there before I bought it. I also don't want to scratch the glass with the steel wool. Driving during the day isn't so bad (although they are still very visible when the light is just right) but at night? Every oncoming headlight, streetlight, and tailight looks like a huge halo....to the point that it's almost dangerous!

Will the dealer be able to get them off? I think they will tell me they can't do anything for me without charging me for it...?

'16 2SS, A8, Sunroof, non-NPP
"SURSUM AB ORDINE"
JKLNHYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Vinegar or CLR....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Waterspots are a common occurrence in cars. Hard water dries and creates these spots but they are easily removed with paint Polish such as compound, they will buff right out and make sure to clean the Polish off when done.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:11 AM   #4
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

Polish does not work , as I've already stated. I did not try vinegar or CLR. I'll give it a try but I'm not getting my hopes up.

"SURSUM AB ORDINE"
Old 04-25-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLNHYD View Post
Polish does not work , as I've already stated. I did not try vinegar or CLR. I'll give it a try but I'm not getting my hopes up.
I'm not sure the cutting ability of the glass Polish you used but I've never had an issue with M105/Ultimate Compound on windows that had hard to remove water sports.

Work a small area before doing the whole glass.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Sometimes water spots on the glass have to be polished off. Have you tried machine polishing?
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Sounds like you need to take a dual action polisher to it. Polishing by hand is not the same.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:10 AM   #8
Heavymetal454
Account Suspended

Drives: '69 RS Pro Street
The 0000 steel wool is excellent for removing all sorts of contaminants on glass surfaces. I personally have used this for years and never had a problem. If you can scratch glass with it I'd be amazed. Use some glass cleaner and a spray bottle to lubricate it as you polish out the spots. If your concerned about micro particles of the steel wool settling at the base of the windshield tape it off and the glass cleaner will keep the particles from blowing around. Pass a magnet over the trough and they will pick right up.
Heavymetal454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:04 PM   #9
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
I have a few scratches on my windshield from when I tried to wipe off some bird poo with a paper towel while I was out. Not sure if that bird was eating rocks or what but it put some scratches I can very slightly feel on the windshield. Is there any way to improve the appearance?
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #10
The1DoubleN
Banned

Drives: Blown up '16 SS
OP, just so you know, I once bought a '10 Subaru Legacy GT 6MT that had been sitting "new" on the dealer's lot for over a year. It had water spots on the windshield that would not come off w/ any kind of chemical or polishing that both I, and the dealer tried. Ultimately, Subaru replaced the entire windshield under warranty when the dealership was unable to remove the hard water spots. You may want to try this route.....
The1DoubleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #11
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

I have some time tonight to try the CLR and, if necessary, the 0000 steel wool with windex. If that doesn't work, then I will definitely give the dealer a chance to rectify it. Thanks for the feedback. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

"SURSUM AB ORDINE"
Old 05-19-2016, 11:10 PM   #12
Raybreiding

Drives: 2016 CAMARO SS2
I clean the widshield with Windex, etc. Then I wipe down with denatured alcohol. Pour it on a cloth. Don't spray even though I have never had it harm the paint. Not sure what it will do to wax, etc. Then I use apply Rainex and also use Rainex washer fluid.
Raybreiding is offline   Reply With Quote