Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #29
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
This is the best slideways racing there is!
Old 07-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #30
JTinFL

Drives: Fast ones
After reading this thread and laughing out loud, I figured I would post up. After running 2 cars in Formula D last year and riding around with our pro drivers at practice and at events, I realize that to drift at a pro level, it is not easy. I come from a all around racing background, I have drifted, autocrossed, road course raced, and drag raced my whole life. Drifting at the level that JR, Chris Forsberg and Tanner is not just turning a corner and flooring it.

Next time you are going say 80 mph down the highway, speed up to around 100 and grab the ebrake to get you sideways to slow back down to about 80mph, then put it in 4th gear and put the clutch in and floor it and drop the clutch and see what happens. You wont claim to be a drifter again....

Its all in good fun guys, you have to respect the sport though. If you dont, go to an event and ride around with one of the guys. Its worth it!
JTinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:18 AM   #31
PreacherMan
Banned

Drives: 1978 F-150 4x4,2010 1SS soon
I'm stationed in Okinawa Japan and drifting is insanely popular over here. I go out about ever other weekend with some of the guys, and drift at the bullring and the track. It takes an insane amount of control to do it right, and you do it wrong, you end up with a f**ked up car, at the very least a missing front bumper. Theres a reason all the drift cars here have the front bumper zip tied on. and its not for looks. Try it sometime, on a closed course, you'd be amazed at the amount of skill and how fun it really is.
PreacherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:18 AM   #32
PreacherMan
Banned

Drives: 1978 F-150 4x4,2010 1SS soon
I'm stationed in Okinawa Japan and drifting is insanely popular over here. I go out about ever other weekend with some of the guys, and drift at the bullring and the track. It takes an insane amount of control to do it right, and you do it wrong, you end up with a f**ked up car, at the very least a missing front bumper. Theres a reason all the drift cars here have the front bumper zip tied on. and its not for looks. Try it sometime, on a closed course, you'd be amazed at the amount of skill and how fun it really is.
PreacherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:13 AM   #33
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
I'll stay with traction.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #34
MonkeyMadness

Drives: Non-existent.
Drifting.

Drifting is easily my favorite form of racing. It takes some serious skill and muscle cars are just suited for it "out of the box." Granted the professional cars such as the GT500 are only GT500s in body and engine, the stock version could still drift pretty well.

I'd love to take a drift class or two.
MonkeyMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #35
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post

it is other racers' style. depends on what kind of race it is. shouldn't be done on the road (unless in some extreme circumstance, such as avoiding crashing)

just showing off is the point and wasting rubber is just part of it - that's almost like going to a race track & complaining about having to burn so much gas
i actually had to do that one day going through a intersection the car in front of me got hit by a car that ran the red light i had to swerve around but it was raining so my truck went sideways and i drifted around the wreck and 2 other cars in the other lane

i made it through perfectly lol my buddy behind me though on the other hand chose the ditch but luckily got out fine too
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:35 AM   #36
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTinFL View Post
After reading this thread and laughing out loud, I figured I would post up. After running 2 cars in Formula D last year and riding around with our pro drivers at practice and at events, I realize that to drift at a pro level, it is not easy. I come from a all around racing background, I have drifted, autocrossed, road course raced, and drag raced my whole life. Drifting at the level that JR, Chris Forsberg and Tanner is not just turning a corner and flooring it.

Next time you are going say 80 mph down the highway, speed up to around 100 and grab the ebrake to get you sideways to slow back down to about 80mph, then put it in 4th gear and put the clutch in and floor it and drop the clutch and see what happens. You wont claim to be a drifter again....

Its all in good fun guys, you have to respect the sport though. If you dont, go to an event and ride around with one of the guys. Its worth it!
so pulling the ebrake at 100 and going sideways? u mean upside down....
Old 08-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #37
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Driftttt
Blacc Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote