Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
Redvert12

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
DRL's

Currently have Diode dynamics LED bulbs in DRL for about 3 years. One is now out but when I went to purchase replacement they indicate a 4-6 weeks before they ship.
Does anyone else have any other vendors LED DRL's that they are happy with?
Redvert12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Not a vendor but I havent had any problems from my ijdmtoy leds. Have had them for about a year.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
bigwormgraphix
Account Suspended

Drives: 1991 Z28, 2015 SS & 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redvert12 View Post
Currently have Diode dynamics LED bulbs in DRL for about 3 years. One is now out but when I went to purchase replacement they indicate a 4-6 weeks before they ship.
Does anyone else have any other vendors LED DRL's that they are happy with?
We have the Diode Dynamics LED bulbs in stock and ready to ship:
https://www.bigwormgraphix.com/2010-...-lighting.html
bigwormgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #4
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwormgraphix View Post
Can you tell me which DRL led bulbs are correct for a 2011 2LT/RS? I think I saw P13W. I had the stock replaced with LED quite some time ago, but one of them is broken and hanging down. I want to get replacements but not sure exactly what to get. I have what seems to be a fairly bright white one now.

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
bigwormgraphix
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeokie View Post
Can you tell me which DRL led bulbs are correct for a 2011 2LT/RS? I think I saw P13W. I had the stock replaced with LED quite some time ago, but one of them is broken and hanging down. I want to get replacements but not sure exactly what to get. I have what seems to be a fairly bright white one now.
P13W is correct for a Camaro with the RS package. Is your whole fog light hanging down or just something in the bulb. The lights at the link below replace everything, also have a lot better night visibility.
https://www.bigwormgraphix.com/2010-...og-lights.html

Or if you just need new bulbs the link below is the correct bulbs for your car:
Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
Mike14bumblebee

Drives: 2014 yellow 2SS/RS
Diode Dynamics should be under warranty I believe, I would wait and contact them about it
Old 05-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
Redvert12

Quote:
Can you tell me why I must buy the adapter harness? I don't care to have them as fog lights, only DRL;'s
Old 05-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #8
bigwormgraphix
Account Suspended

Quote:
Can you tell me why I must buy the adapter harness? I don't care to have them as fog lights, only DRL;'s
LED bulbs have a lower resistance, so the car's computer will think you have a bulb out and not supply power to that circuit. Without the harness the bulb will flash for a second when you unlock your doors, but other than that they won't light up at all. We do not require customers to buy our harness to get led bulbs if you want to try it without the harness, it doesn't harm anything on the car.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:41 PM   #9
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike14bumblebee View Post
Diode Dynamics should be under warranty I believe, I would wait and contact them about it
What he said. They have a three-year warranty.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #10
Redvert12

Quote:
LED bulbs have a lower resistance, so the car's computer will think you have a bulb out and not supply power to that circuit. Without the harness the bulb will flash for a second when you unlock your doors, but other than that they won't light up at all. We do not require customers to buy our harness to get led bulbs if you want to try it without the harness, it doesn't harm anything on the car.
I was still confused about the harness. I was running the Diode dynamic LED's for years without any additional harness and it worked great. If something has changed on DD's end I think they should let that be known. I am sure your shop does outstanding work and that you are very knowledgeable about the products. I went with JDM this time. I will let you know if they disappoint me. Thanks for your return posts.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:41 AM   #11
bigwormgraphix
Account Suspended

Quote:
I was still confused about the harness. I was running the Diode dynamic LED's for years without any additional harness and it worked great. If something has changed on DD's end I think they should let that be known. I am sure your shop does outstanding work and that you are very knowledgeable about the products. I went with JDM this time. I will let you know if they disappoint me. Thanks for your return posts.
All led bulbs need the harness, so if you currently have led bulbs you don't need an additional harness which is why we make it optional. The harness installs with the fog light wiring and not on the bulb so if a previous owner installed it you wouldn't see it when swapping the bulbs. Nothing changed, 2010-13 Camaros have always needed the harness for led bulbs.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #12
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
All led bulbs need the harness, so if you currently have led bulbs you don't need an additional harness which is why we make it optional. The harness installs with the fog light wiring and not on the bulb so if a previous owner installed it you wouldn't see it when swapping the bulbs. Nothing changed, 2010-13 Camaros have always needed the harness for led bulbs.
Not trying to beat this harness thing to death but, ...
I understand your reasoning about the resistance of the bulbs but, why doesn’t DD mention anything about having to use a harness with their bulbs?
In particular, I believe the harness either has the fogs on all the time or with the headlights. I want to be able to have the fogs on through the switch when I choose.
From DD listing:
“Direct replacement for Chevrolet Camaro RS fog light bulbs.”
“Plug and play, no modification with factory P13W bulb size.”
Am I missing something?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #13
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Ugh. The 10-15 DRLs are not "monitored", so no load resistors needed, if that's what the thought was.

The only "monitored" bulbs on the 10-13s are turn signals and brake. Not sure about the headlamps.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #14
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
Ugh. The 10-15 DRLs are not "monitored", so no load resistors needed, if that's what the thought was.

The only "monitored" bulbs on the 10-13s are turn signals and brake. Not sure about the headlamps.
So, harness is not needed if I change from the stock RS bulbs to the led’s?

Thanks